Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / car shopping for the enthusiast

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2020 04:24
While haven't decided 100% on to buy a new toy yet or not, I'm looking anyway (cause why not). I say enthusiast because this won't be a daily driver and I have a requirement for as much hp as possible, 500hp being a good target. Budget? Well, cheaper is better but under 20k is good, at 40k it'd have to be really awesome, and 10k would just be great. (I know, that's quite a wide range for a car)

Current contenders I've come across:

2015 Jaguar F-type R - 550hp - $40k (kinda the absolute limit i'd spend, but ohhh it sounds so nice)
2014 Jaguar F-type V8 S - 500hp - $33k (its orange)
2005 Bentley Continental GT - 550hp - $28k to $34k
2010 Shelby GT500 - 540hp - $29k
2008 BMW Alpina B7 - 500hp - $14.5
2006 BMW M6 - 500hp - $16.5

Notable mentions:

2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 380hp - $33k
2005 Aston Martin DB9 - 450hp - $37k
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 392 - 470hp - $27k

If the Bentley wasn't on the opposite side of the country, I probably would've test driven it already cause I've always wanted one. I have to say, the jaguar is probably my favorite (and it sounds the best). But the M6 I think is the best bargain. Anything else you think I should consider?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2020 07:25 Edited at: 25th Aug 2020 07:29
i'm in no way an enthusiast but i happened to watch a video of a small outdoor car show (in TX, i think?) and, apparently, the C8 is "king"? 495 HP†

it did sound delicious.

i heard you can get a good deal in TX after a decent hail storm?
[My Itch.io Home] | [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] | [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE] | [VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2020 19:11
The M6 might be off the table. Talked to a kid at work who's all about bmw, told me to avoid the v10 models as they're notoriously unreliable.

Not a 'vette fan but the latest 2020 model is pretty slick looking.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2020 09:31 Edited at: 28th Aug 2020 09:46
I recommend considering going electric if you are thinking of classics, because that is the future of the automobile's evolution.

The technology has advanced so much over the last 120 years, even though it has been suppressed by the petroleum industry.

A truck my also come in handy for errands and such, so the 'toy' could also be useful for other things than just cruising.

Although at 800 hp the top-spec Cybertruck might be way more than what you are looking at in your other toys, but a standard version should be closer to your desired price range and power.

The Cybertruck is on my wish list, but I have yet to transcend in mediation to a point of enlightenment that will enable the cosmic energy to assist me in picking the winning numbers for the lottery. (but I'm working on it)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2020 17:43
Electric? Nah, not for a high horsepower toy. I have a truck already, it gets the jobs done I need it for. My daily driver is a Q50 hybrid. I'm not ready to go full electric until I see a long ranger, faster charging, and more stations. Plus, electric cars don't sound cool. I wanna hear the HP!

I pretty much settled on the f-type R. But, this whole dream has just been killed, though in a bitter sweet sort of way. I won't get my fancy sports car, but it's because the house I finally found is listed way above my initial budget. I'm going to use that money towards the house instead. It's a bummer, but the better long-term choice. Maybe in a few years I'll get one. (or just drop a hellcat into my plymouth)

Speaking of trucks, did you hear about dodge's new ram? They're putting a hellcat into it.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:30:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:30:28