Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Thank you TGC!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2020 10:40 Edited at: 28th Aug 2020 10:42
No this isn’t a goodbye post. I just wanted to take a moment to thank TGC for AppGameKit, a tool that let me get something that I had wanted to release in some format or other for years (never imagined it would be a mobile app). To be honest it wasn’t the greatest idea to make a non-gaming app in AppGameKit and I won’t be doing it again, but if I hadn’t it would most definitely still be a pipe dream to this date.

Even though a non-gaming app wasn’t the greatest idea it does show that you can probably create almost anything in AGK. The reason why I won’t be doing it again is because the UI limitations, and the lack of gesture detections. It means I’m unlikely to develop OryUI any further now but the code is there if anyone wants to build on it or use it as inspiration to do something better that we can all use on mobile apps. I see a lot of different UI posts here but they all seem to be desktop only, and it would be great to get something that looks more native.

The HTTPS requests are heavily used in my app with a server managing parts of the app. And they were a doddle to use from the beginning when I was first toying with AGK. The app wouldn’t have been possible without them. So if you're reading this and wanting to do a turn based game, it's definitely doable.

There’s also a basic read only API on the server available to the users where they can access all their stats/history and active locks. With that users have developed several personal/hobby projects including lockboxes and digital safes that’s controlled by the app/API, a couple of Alexa Skills (not available on the Alexa Skills market place, but I've seen videos of the skills working and the code for them and they were awesome), an Apple Watch app (not made with AGK), a few Discord bots, and a couple of projects that do stuff with iCal and Siri Shortcuts. All using the app API. That’s been really cool to see. People creating stuff. I will take something like that to most future projects if possible, even if it’s just a feature for users to create and share levels etc.

So again, thank you TGC. I know I come across as a bit naggy/moany at times but that’s only because I enjoy using AppGameKit and get frustrated when things just break and remain broken for ages, or you change direction by introducing a new tool.

I don’t know what I will use AppGameKit for next, and may honestly jump between it and other tools, but I still like coding with it. It’s definitely going to be a game next time.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2020 13:02
Quote: "but if I hadn’t it would most definitely still be a pipe dream to this date."

That is how I felt about FPSC after making a First Person Shooter in a 3D environment.

Quote: "No this isn’t a goodbye post. I just wanted to take a moment to thank TGC for AppGameKit, a tool that let me get something that I had wanted to release in some format or other for years (never imagined it would be a mobile app)."

Good, because I always enjoy your posts, and many times they have led me to explore things that I probably would have overlooked or never thought to use that end up being vital for my projects.

I feel the same way about TGC, that they have helped me take a better path on my development journey with not only AppGameKit but many other product as well.

My publicly available projects are never top of the line stuff, but that is not a reflection of their products, but rather a reflection of my efforts and extent of their use.

I doubt if I would have ever developed any app for Android or other mobile devices had it not been for AppGameKit and, as with FPSC, I cannot thank them enough.

Thanks again TGC, and I look forward to another 15 years of sharing my development journey with you, if I am fortunate enough to live that long.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2020 13:58
"I just wanted to take a moment to thank TGC for AppGameKit, a tool that let me get something that I had wanted to release in some format or other for years (never imagined it would be a mobile app)."

Agreed. For me, AppGameKit really simplified the path to getting a feature-complete mobile app together. And the AppGameKit 2 IDE is really convenient with all the tools I need in one place. AppGameKit Classic and DarkBASIC Professional were the two best purchases I've made when it comes to game development tools and utilities. Well, TurboPascal kinda kicked ass, too, but I'll stick to 21st Century tech for now.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest I'm starting to love appgamekit.

I just wish they would upgrade it , don't make this a unsupported app like all the rest.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2020 07:14
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with AppGameKit and TGC, both the app and the company frustrate me at times but I will always back them both, It does seem to me that AppGameKit has become more of a inhouse dev tool for TGC and the needs of there inhouse apps override the needs and wants of the userbase and altho this is a bit disappointing and somewhat frustrating its also a sure sign that AppGameKit will remain current if not state of the art.

Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
I never had this love and hate relationship with the DarkBASIC crew, I support them all the way, simply because to do that what Lee did to create such a Tool that will operate on a BASIC language that will allow people to make so many things, now that's what I call extraordinary coding. All this politics bs, it is everywhere and the Game Creators being a company cannot escape that bs either.

Whenever I have a problem in AppGameKit or whatever limitation, I seek to find the solution and in most cases I have found it and if I don't, I will keep on waiting and seeking until there is the solution to the problem. In the end, it's just a matter of time, not if.

Quote: "Thanks again TGC, and I look forward to another 15 years of sharing my development journey with you, if I am fortunate enough to live that long. "

Conjoured, I tell you that you will live much longer than another 15 years, without knowing your actual biological age, I'll give you at least another 333 years.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2020 23:50 Edited at: 4th Sep 2020 05:05
Quote: "I just wish they would upgrade it , don't make this a unsupported app like all the rest."

Paul updates it.

Sometimes often enough that I miss them now and then when I cannot visit the forums regularly.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Old age is setting in man.

Thanks for the confidence boost though, as the power of positive thinking can do wonders sometimes.
"

My dear brother and friend, only you had faith like that of a mustard seed, you could say to a rock "become a loaf of bread" and it would obey you, despite what I stated is not sci-fiction or wishful thinking or a thing requiring faith, but a reality that is to come, however I will keep the details of it to myself for the time being.
gosukiwi
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2020 03:33 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2020 03:34
Kevin Cross wrote: " I just wanted to take a moment to thank TGC for AppGameKit, a tool that let me get something that I had wanted to release in some format or other for years "

I can't emphasize enough how important that is. Most of the time, you have an idea and no way to express it or make it a reality. The important thing is, it doesn't matter how, but start somewhere! Many people just gets lost in the loop, and are either intimidated or too lazy to do anything. To get anywhere, in any skill in life, you need to persevere So congratulations on that! Even though you struggled making an app with AppGameKit, I'm sure you learnt a lot and it opened many doors for you.

I hope TCG replies to this post

PartTimeCoder wrote: "I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with AppGameKit and TGC, both the app and the company frustrate me at times but I will always back them both"

Same here. The product is really impressive. The only beef I have is the language. If only it would allow for more powerful abstractions, I wouldn't even mind the rest But it is what it is. It's still one of the best choices for small projects. It's just so easy to get things done.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2020 18:27 Edited at: 4th Sep 2020 11:09
Getting slightly older, i can understand that we might be more vulnerable to negative comments as we get older.
I just want AppGameKit developer to know that every comments made, whether negative or positive in tone, were made by users who love your product deep down. If they didn't like AppGameKit, they would not even comment on anything. I hope AppGameKit dev will stay motivated by realizing that at the end of the day, alot of people are supporting them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 02:40:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 02:40:33