Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Wormhole Tunnel Run (open beta testing)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2020 18:27 Edited at: 18th Oct 2020 04:42
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squishmobileprductions.wormholerunner

Windows PC version is also attached as a ZIP file!

Latest addition is multi direction tunnel pieces (really just donut shaped pieces that converge to the same point no matter which way you choose lol) and a big room with a "boss fight" at the end of round 1 (made it early in the game so you don't have to play a bunch to get there, this will probably appear at a later stage eventually)

The boss fight mechanics work like this : (SPOILER!) the boss has a shield that reflects all incoming shots back at the player. Every now and then the boss shoots at the player, the shot will explode after a few seconds with area of effect but if you shoot it first then it "drops" a powerup you collect and shoot at the boss which lowers the boss shield for a few seconds allowing you to damage it.

Gameplay video:

Boss fight video:

Windows controls (not documented in game yet as this is mainly meant to be a mobile release)

MOUSE to navigate direction
MOUSE LEFT CLICK or SPACE BAR to shoot missiles
W - boost speed (gives you extra points)
S - slow down (costs you points)
B - cheat mode (full stop)

This is an "endless runner" style of game which uses procedural generation to create a "wormhole tunnel" that the player flies through. Using just one curved tube model and one straight tube model the game generates a random endless sequence of twists and turns to navigate, meanwhile you collect coins and gems and you shoot enemy spaceships along the way to collect drop items that replenish your health, give you a shield or increase your weapon speed. Player speed increases slightly after each "stage" (which is 10 tube segments), and then after 150 tube segments the player speed increases slightly on every segment to eventually force a game over as you lose control and can't avoid obstacles.

Bonus round on stage 5 with just coins, no obstacles or enemy ships!

Design details:

This game was made with AppGameKit Tier 2 (c++). The tunnel is actually only ever 4 segments in length. As soon as the player flies past the second tube segment the first segment is deleted and a new segment is randomly added to the end. The coins, gems, blocker objects, enemy ships and particles all "belong" to the tube segment in which they are generated, and anything left behind gets deleted along with the tube segment. This keeps the overhead low at any given time to keep the performance/frame rate high. Currently the game will lag slightly on weaker mobile devices when you have collected several weapon speed power-ups and hold down the fire button.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello.
I can't open the link to Google Play. It asked me to login
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
You will need to be logged into your google account yes. The link should display a message with a button that says "become a tester" and then once you click that it should offer the download link on the play store.

I also just realized the beta version is still serving up a slightly older version. The production version has a few final improvements but it's still under review by google before release, I will update the link in a couple of days when it's approved and then anybody will be able to download it normally without "joining the test".
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2020 23:51 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2020 23:52
Quote: "I also just realized the beta version is still serving up a slightly older version. The production version has a few final improvements but it's still under review by google before release, I will update the link in a couple of days when it's approved and then anybody will be able to download it normally without "joining the test"."

Looking forward to giving it a spin.

Your screen shots look cool.

Quote: "
This is an "endless runner" style of game which uses procedural generation to create a "wormhole tunnel" that the player flies through. Using just one curved tube model and one straight tube model the game generated a random endless sequence of twists and turns to navigate..."

Awesome

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2020 17:36 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2020 17:41
I posted an updated link that should allow everybody to download. Please check it out and let me know if it's working for you.

Windows PC version also made available by ZIP file attached to original post!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2020 18:24
this is tough to test on windows.

1) on start, the window is shoved to the right, almost off the screen. was this developed on a machine with multiple displays (which i don't have)? regardless, i have to drag it into full view, and then it seems to update the display while leaving the "invert controls" only partially functional. it's best drag into view, then maximize.
1a) on restart, it's shoved back to the right side of the screen. rinse, repeat.

2) the controls are completely stiff. and, having to hold LMB to navigate is no fun. i know some use this mouse-look functionality but holding LMB to play = .
2a) and, while i figured out [space] to shoot, what are the other controls?

3) sometimes the coins spawn on top of each other (rare, but happens). i don't think that is intentional?

4) missiles seem to pass thru everything except tunnel walls.

right now, the above makes it frustrating to test much, for me, so i'm looking forward to the next update.

i like the premise. i've wanted to code similar and this is on it's way to being fun.

thanks for sharing
[My Itch.io Home] | [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] | [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE] | [VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2020 18:38 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2020 18:47
Thanks for the valuable feedback! I updated the PC download version attached to the original post to address these issues:

FIXED: Windows position now 0,0 (yes I develop on a 48" wide monitor at 5120 x 1440 resolution, my bad!
FIXED: Bullets don't penetrate the rotating blocker objects anymore. It's intentional for them to pass through coins and gems, so should be working as intended now.
FIXED: Posted PC controls in the original post. They aren't documented in game as it's intended for mobile release

FIX COMING SOON: Will change the PC controls to not require mouse click. Mobile device considers touching the screen a "click" so that's why it operates like that right now.
FIX COMING SOON: Coins appearing doubled up seems to be related to a last minute change in coin frequency and spacing. I will address this issue as well.

Thanks again!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2020 20:35
Quote: "Windows position now 0,0 "

that jams it underneath my taskbar but a bit better
how about just maximizing the window and not re-positioning the window every restart?
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm I'll have to plugin a regular monitor and clean it up. It resizes every restart because I call Begin() to start over and that calls the display setup functions again.
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
ZIP file attached to original post has been updated.

Several improvements made for better PC compatibility.

- Mouse left click no longer required for navigation (mouse click now fires missiles in addition to space bar).
- Mouse controls "softened" so it's not quite as rigid.
- Camera FOV was adjusted for a better looking view / faster perceived game play speed compared to before.
- The "boost", "slow" and "fire button" GUI elements only appear on mobile devices. PC version is now cleaner looking since you don't need the controls on screen.
- Game now launches full screen to avoid position issues and taskbar blocking.
- Coins no longer sometimes overlap each other (but still sometimes appear where blocker obstacles are, I will address this soon).
- BONUS ROUND on stage 5 with exclusive music track for that stage.

Please try the new version and let me know if you have any additional feedback or issues!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2020 03:08 Edited at: 7th Sep 2020 03:10
definite improvement with the latest win version (especially in the controls dept) but the screen still has issues where, during play, the score is almost completely out of view in the top-right corner.
on the main screen, some things were a bit odd, as well.

i can't provide a screenshot where Fullscreen is funny like that meanwhile, you've got to account for standard screen sizes while you're developing on a "huge" monitor, yourself (unless there's more to the issue). but, do some (additional?) checking on execute to decide where the 2d stuff is to be placed? (just going fullscreen isn't solving the issue). and, while you're dev'ing this, i'd provide the option for a maximized window so we can screenshot/record for you/give full feedback?

otherwise, i made it into level 3 (and beyond?) and that was visually slick of course, you could add plenty while i would start with shadows being cast from the enemies, pickups, etc, to add more depth to the game (even in the "wireframe" levels). right now, it feels a little too flat, despite the tunnel/base element (which is effective).

like i said (i think?), i've wanted to do something similar (tentatively titled D.I.A.H. or, Deep In A Hole). and playing this is quelling some of that thirst, so, thanks! and, looking forward to the next installment
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
It works fine on a regular 1920x1080 monitor I tested.. the score is intentionally positioned at the top right corner, but it's not out of view. The virtual resolution is 1920x1080 as well by the way, so all items definitely appear on screen.

If you are seeing anything off-screen it would have to be your physical monitor settings (stretching the image past your monitor bezel / edge).

I will check out shadow casting, hopefully it works with the tube models having inverted normals, I imagine that it would.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2020 23:46 Edited at: 8th Sep 2020 00:01
i tabbed out (to hit record) then back in and everything looked good:

good stuff!

meanwhile, no idea how you might have things set up but loading the new tube, an enemy and a coin, the shadows cast (using the sun light) fine, including on textures with alpha.

add: should the pacman barriers have transparency in the textures like the pipes? as you can see, mine are solid (on stages that have transparency).
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good, and nice video!

I originally tried having the barriers transparent but it didn't look great so I changed them to solid.

I have actually made a few more changes in the meantime and have a couple more planned:

- ADDED SHADOWS
- ADDED A NEW PROXIMITY MINE OBSTACLE (WHICH CAN BE SHOT AND DESTROYED OR AVOIDED BY FLYING AROUND)
- CHANGED EXPLOSIONS FROM ANIMATED SPRITE TO 3D PARTICLES WITH A SMOKE EFFECT (KEPT ANIMATED SPRITE FOR CONTACT EXPLOSIONS IF YOU ACTUALLY RUN INTO A BARRIER, ENEMY OR MINE)
- INCREASED SIZE OF ENEMY SHIPS FOR BETTER VISIBILITY ESPECIALLY ON MOBILE DEVICES

UPCOMING CHANGES:

- PLANNING TO ADD A COUPLE DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF ROTATING BARRIERS SO IT'S NOT AS REPETITIVE
- PLANNING TO ADD A COUPLE DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF ENEMY SHIP, MAYBE WITH DIFFERENT WEAPON STYLES.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2020 16:51
don't forget to add this to the Showcase at some point. we need to see more 3d projects there
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2020 22:24 Edited at: 9th Sep 2020 21:22
I agree. I think 3D is what AppGameKit needs to improve upon overall. Especially on the side of AGK-Blender relationship. My friend Jessika gave up on AppGameKit and went back to her beloved DarkBASIC Classic only because she struggled with the 3D side of AGK. I tried to help her, but as I am not expert in 3D myself, it was kinda tricky to get those animations work with textures with on .dae files exported from Blender, which in my opinion was the best format candidate for exporting to AGK. I don't want to go off topic here, but as this is a 3D game, I want to address this problem, so that with time it can be addressed in order to make AppGameKit better on the 3D part that we know is still a work in progress. Jessika is a serious hardcore 3D expert when it comes to DarkBASIC, I tested few of her inventions, and she can code in DarkBASIC 3D stuff as though she is married to it. Still, DarkBASIC Classic especially is a bit old for these times, hence I want to help her to return to AppGameKit to learn to do the 3D stuff in AppGameKit, but at present it is difficult. She got the DarkBASIC Pro working (cause she used to have problems with making it work), so that is an improvement, but ultimately the transision for her would need to be towards AGK. Honestly Virtual Nomad, if she could do the 3D things in AppGameKit that she does in DarkBASIC Classic, you would probably see a ton of 3D showcase for AppGameKit from Jessika, I am serious! She even got flight simulators in DarkBASIC Classic, obviously not like the actual professional flight simulators like X-Plane, but still pretty impressive.
????????
Lokto
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice work!

I'll second VN on getting that into showcase to bump up the number of 3D apps.
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Lupo: It's not clear exactly what "improvements" you're suggesting.. I have successfully imported animated models using AppGameKit so the functionality is fine. In general overall terms the AppGameKit library contains all the functions you really need to create 3D games of all sorts. The render pipeline / shaders are fairly basic and you're not going to generate scenes with the fidelity of Unity or Unreal Engine but the basic functionality exists to create whatever you can dream up.

I will submit the game for the showcase soon, I am planning some improvements so I am going to wait until finished to submit the final product.

Planned improvements include:

- Stage selection screen, possibly with story elements
- Breaking down the game into individual stages that you start and finish, with a "boss" at the end of each stage
- New tunnel segments like T intersections where you can go left or right (or up / down)
- A "boss fight" area which will basically be a large spherical area at the "end" of a stage
- Different weapons to pick up and swap between, potentially with limitations on ammo
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2020 19:20
Quote: "New tunnel segments like T intersections"

i was hoping for this, and the other plans sound great.

Quote: "the basic functionality exists to create whatever you can dream up."

that's good to hear from someone who is making it happen.

thanks for the update, and the insight
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
JonEnstrom, thank you. I am a complete amateur when it comes to 3D, so you would need to educate my friend Jessika on those matters. I just pass on feedback from someone that knows how to code 3D in DarkBASIC Classic, but not in AGK. A lot of the problem being the AGK/Blender relationship and exporting a suitable 3D file format with animation that can be animated and textured correctly in AGK. I understand there are people that know how to get these things done, but if this is something exclusive to a few elite, then we are really leaving out the less able that are not as gifted at figuring out these things as others.

It would be beneficial to the community that you share your experience on how you exported your 3D models to AppGameKit with animation and was able to texture them correctly, preferably from Blender in order to help others which experience these problems.

Thank you.
????????
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE October 17, 2020

Added some donut shaped tunnel sections and a boss fight (see first post for details)
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2020 02:17
Q: is there a defined Map now that we have choices to make/forks in the tunnels?
it seems some tunnels are devoid of anything. i make a u-turn and look for the last fork (something to do) while the layout behind me seems to have changed?

no Stage indication? i played for a bit (WIN version) and found a boss which i didn't expect until a certain stage. or, does the boss allow passage to the next stage?

the obstacles are appreciated and a perfect "alien" breed thanks for the update.

[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
No the tunnel is still generated randomly on the fly. Every time you enter a new tunnel segment the tunnel behind you is blocked off with a brick wall with a U turn symbol. The reason is because the segment behind you is deleted after you pass through it, so if you were to turn around you could fly out of the tunnel into the void of space. Instead if you turn around you'll see the blocker wall.

The round "donut" shaped tunnels (where you can choose left or right) are indeed empty at the moment, I have a plan to add obstacles/enemies/coins/gems to these sections but I haven't done that yet. You can fly around the donut in circles if you wanted to, but you'll notice the U turn blocker wall at the point where you entered, and there is only one way out (opposite the side you entered).

I am not sure what you mean by no stage indication, there should be a message that says "Stage 1", "Stage 2", etc at roughly every 10 tunnel segments (when the wall textures change). The boss is currently hard coded to spawn at the end of stage 1 (just so you can get there quickly and check it out but it doesn't belong there in the final version, it will likely be after a few stages in). When you first make line of sight to the boss the text "BOSS ROUND" should appear and the music changes. The "Exit" from the boss room is blocked with the U turn blocker wall until the boss is dead, then it opens and allows you to progress further.
JonEnstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2020 04:40 Edited at: 18th Oct 2020 04:54
I just realized as well that I left in some experimental changes with the camera FOV, so I have changed it back and made the game run full screen again (had that off to record a video). Zip file updated in original post to the thread.

I have also ran into a couple of buggy situations with the boss, sometimes it doesn't seem to appear and other times it's not firing it's weapon. Some work still to be done on this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:58:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:58:30