Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] IDE options explanation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

is there any manual for the preferences of the IDE itself? For example in the menu "various preferences" where things like "use_gtk_word_boundaries", "statusbar_template" or "msgwin_status_visible" can be changed, it says "read the documentation before making changes here". But I can't find anything dealing with this stuff..

In general I feel a bit lost. I don't know how to get into this, since the online documentation is kind of short and I am not sure whether to buy "hands on APK Studio Vol. 1 & 2". These books seem long and detailed, but probably do not cover all aspects of AppGameKit (like these options above or usage/explanations e.g. of plugins, templates, .ini-files, compiler commands ++ more things to get the most out of AppGameKit (Tier1)). Exapmple-games + docs (DLC) are good but won't get me too far I guess .

Maybe some of you have an idea on how to get into this stuff (I'm new to programming, except for some JustBasic 2.0 experience)

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2020 16:47 Edited at: 4th Oct 2020 17:02
Hi jns278,

I have the book "Hands on AppGameKit Studio Vol. 1" and it is really good. In the case you are serious about this, I highly recommend it, despite I did not get far with it, cause I got sucked into just writing the code. Still, I really want to go back to it to learn so much more from it. The author is a true master, a very good teacher of programming.

You can change the color scheme of the IDE via the menu View>>>Change Color Scheme. Some people prefer darker colors as the background, I too would prefer that, however when I tried using the darker schemes, my brain just went dead for some reason. I guess this is just a matter of adapting or preference.

Personally, I hardly ever use the menu. In the end you will probably end up using keyboard shortcuts for opening/saving projects/files, copy/paste, replace (that gets used quiet a bit), F5 to Compile & Run the programme you just written, Debug button (I never used that, so I have no opinion). The rest of it is writting the code itself and making things work.

I would check this thread. It has some suggestions of where to start by various members. Hope this helps.

All the best.

PS This Tutorial Guide is the first 285 pages of the Hands on AppGameKit book Vol.1, so go and grab it, it's free. It will give you a taste of the full version. It's also as part of your version of AppGameKit, when you browse the docummentation using the browser that you can access by typing in a command in AppGameKit where you write your code and press F1, it will lead you to the page to explain about this specific command and what it does and parameters etc.
????????
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2020 03:23 Edited at: 5th Oct 2020 04:15
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
the IDE that ships with Classic is a custom version of Geany IDE.

Geany's Manual is found HERE; From the HTML Version: Various Preferences is what you're looking for.

i haven't adjusted much within the IDE myself (no real need to, personally).

Regarding the Online Documentation, it is brief, indeed. IE, basic Syntax and parameter descriptions (beyond being a list of Commands broken down by Sets).

Otherwise, i've added code examples to some commands myself, as have many others, and there are lots of examples throughout the forum where the built-in search is a helpful resource (when folks give appropriate titles to their threads) intent on augmenting the Online Help docs.

With that, i've come to carry a link to a Google Site Search of the forums which includes actual Posts in my Signature below (IE, not just thread titles which is what the Forum Search looks at, alone).

I had experience with DBPro before picking up AppGameKit a couple/few years ago. Upon purchase, i found a short but sharp learning curve (while i had to fight off some DBPro habits that didn't apply to AGK).

I then purchased both Hands On AGK-C books which, for me, didn't take me much further than i already was. IE, only a few details that i didn't know about a few commands. And, this is after reading a TON of posts here on the Forums, as well, and running a lot of code found here, too. So, as mine was not YOUR starting point, i do recommend them to you as, at least, a more-verbose version of the Online Help files.

so, where to start? i would take a look at this series of YouTube vids where many have reported their appreciation for them.

i would then skim through the different command sets and decide on a simple game to make and go at it while returning here for help to get you through any snags you encounter (or, inevitably, create for yourself ).

others suggest reviewing the small game templates referenced near the bottom of this post but, i must say, while SOME are quite helpful, OTHERS are not meant for a true novice.

let me back up a bit where the above is not quite where i would begin if i were you.

while i did mention reviewing the command sets, you should first review some Principles; specifically:
Arithmetic, Relational, Boolean and Bitwise Operators
Common Statements
Common and User Functions
Reserved Words, Remarks and Spacing
Looping and Syncing
Numerical Bases

...along with the core Language-specific (common) commands to get acquainted with AGK.

then, the Guides. i would skip the Shaders, Plugins and, probably, the Basic Networking sections (and everything below that), for now but remember that they are there when you feel more comfortable with AppGameKit and want to dig a bit deeper.

the Examples are the next natural step. there are lots of good examples there, while you might want to skip some things like (anything more than Basic) Physics commands and Multiplayer stuff.

it might seem daunting but don't let it be. SKIM through this stuff, don't STUDY it. IE, just get acquainted with it. Then, i expect your imagination will guide you to where you want to dig deeper. probably a simple 2d game, maybe a text-based game, etc, and you'll be ready to contend with that having an idea of what's available to you, command/tool-wise, to achieve your goal.

that's been my experience, anyway. and, it's been a lot of fun thus far
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
gosukiwi
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2020 17:40 Edited at: 5th Oct 2020 17:40
Also, as an alternative development environment, you can try out my Atom package https://atom.io/packages/atom-agk there you will have thousands of easy-to-install themes and extensions, such as minimap, vim mode, etc.
jns278
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your answers.. I will check the possibilities out (If not done yet).. I think I will just read all of the given stuff and try things out, that's the best why to learn coding IMO.

And thanks for the IDE manual... from what I read, I think i won't bother with it too much..

If any further question occur, I will come back here.. Thank you so far!!
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
You're welcome. Just keep going. Whatever the difficulty or problem just endure, for perseverance will solve all your problems that you shall encounter that no book or manual can do for you. All the best on your adventure.
????????

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:09:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:09:06