Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2020 12:23 Edited at: 8th Nov 2020 12:41
Hi there, Since lockdown I've spent a few hours a week making a tribute of a game I liked as a young 'un.
Trapdoor was a programme on TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9dbAQJIu1o&ab_channel=AnimatedCartoonsforChildren and the ZX spectrum version of it was quite good. The main character was a big sprite , the world was pseudo 3d and even had sandbox elements which was quite advanced for 1986! Unfortunately the controls were a little slow and clunky and it ran fairly poorly on the hardware, so I saw an opportunity to make it right

I started by ripping the graphics from the original and making my code work with them, then slowly made my own crude interpretations of all the images until they were all made by me. (except 1 in the videos which i have corrected now!)

The game is nearly done, and is mostly playable but not quite there so I've got more to do but will post it here when it's 'finished'

I've made some videos comparing the original to mine, they are quite rough but i think show progress. you can see that I have tried to maintain the original design while modernising it some.

Richard Stevens
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome.. I vaguely remeber this. Think I had it on c64 but can't be sure. Look forward to trying it out.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2020 19:13
Man I spent ages playing this and "Mad Flunky" which was another game made with that engine.
-EdzUp
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EdzUp
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2020 19:53
Fantastic! I love how it matches the old skool game
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2020 00:50
i've never heard of trapdoor (and never heard of the spectrum until i started browsing TGC forums) so looking forward to your creation
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
Globbits
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2020 14:18
Awesome! Trapdoor was my favourite TV programme as a kid, and I remember the game well too.
Good luck with this one, it looks great so far.
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2020 17:15 Edited at: 16th Nov 2020 22:57
Thanks for the kind words folks I've been toiling away at the AI for my sessions this week and am mostly satisfied with the results. Also after doing the side by side videos I've been looking into making Berk a bit bigger, but I have hardcoded various things around the sprite size so it's not easy, lesson learned I think.

Also experimented with a shadow for the main character, but it doesn't work for all situations.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2020 11:30 Edited at: 4th Dec 2020 13:48
Hi again, sorry for the radio silence, been working away. I've been trying ( unsuccessfully ) to put media I've purchased in the package in a safe way, but haven't managed to find a solution I am happy with so for now I have taken it out. It makes the intro bit seem a bit weird and empty but it is what it is. I will keep trying

I have got to a point where I think everything mostly works and feel it could be sampled by folks if they wanted. So it is included here.

there are some things to note:

Keys are : cursor keys to move

press 1 to pickup
press 2 to drop
press 3 to tip something upside down (sometimes things are inside things)

if you want to cheat or see more, you can press Q on the screen with the Dumb waiter ( lift ) and your quest will be ready to deliver!

known issues
-----
don't drop things in the cellar atm, it can't be picked back up
the flamer bad guy can walk over the open trapdoor
worms can foolishly keep walking into the walls when they shouldn't
Its not really a known issue because it happened by design in the original but if you drop something down the trapdoor, its gone... forever. So don't

Its not finished yet and probably quite twitchy still, but I hope it at least shows what a cool game the original was.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:23:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:23:55