Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2020 16:54 Edited at: 12th Dec 2020 16:59
This is my first real game using AppGameKit guys and is still WIP. It's a pinball game using the Box2D physics stuff. I've had some fun with it anyway.

Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2020 02:10
Look great! Very cool graphics
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2020 18:01
That's definitely a marketable idea!
Once you have enough bells and whistles you should easily sell a lot of downloads.

Looks great, and is a solid testament to AGK's usefulness!

Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2020 20:30
this looks great, paxi. nice work!
[My Itch.io Home] [Now Playing]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm quite proud of it -I never expected to get this far with it. I had a load of zombie graphics from a 3D comic I started on some years ago, so I thought I'd put them to use.

Do you really think I can sell it? I'd love to try and sell it but being my first project my confidence is thin right now.

I've ran it on an old iPad2 and its plays sweet on that, which I didn't expect. It runs great on my S10 and my TabA.

One thing I have learned on this project is that designing a pinball table is extremely challenging in 2D! I'm sure it is in 3D as well but its not until you start studying pinball tables that you realise how complex they really are.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2020 22:48 Edited at: 15th Dec 2020 22:48
Is that 2D? I was sure it was 3D. Does it use 2D physics?
I would add a couple more tables and put it up on itch.io
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2020 23:51 Edited at: 15th Dec 2020 23:57
@blink: "It's a pinball game using the Box2D physics stuff."

@paxi, i'd love to see a screenshot with SetPhysicsDebugOn()

i've watched the vid a couple of times and wonder if the overhead rail could use more verts and/or lower friction?

and, i expect there's a trigger setting collision groups at the entrances to the rail? i've contemplated handling similar and that is my current thought.

otherwise: blink said, "put it up on itch.io" and i +1 that thought
[Google Forum Search]
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2020 00:31
I should pay better attention.
1 suggestion: Those grave stones would make great knockdowns
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2020 01:17 Edited at: 16th Dec 2020 01:26
still scrutinizing the vid/looking for insight but i believe i'm seeing plenty of tunneling (was focusing on the RH flipper) while assuming copious use of SetSpritePhysicsIsBullet(().

as we don't have 100% (much less current) box2d implementation, consider your own prediction/time of impact (TOI) functions (to account for flipper rotation, especially).

i have some basic routines in place here but since i've really stretch the limits in scale (ball vs paddle @ high velocity), it still needs a lot of work.

if you can stomach it, turn your speakers off and watch this. since it's on autopilot, the ball should never hit the bottom wall and turn red (while it obviously does, at times). and, if anyone is wondering, that is actual (unnecessary) speed at the upper end of "normal" gameplay speeds, it's still only 99% solid but i think i can get to 100 if i ever revisit the project (which, obviously, this has me considering).
[Google Forum Search]
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
@Blink, I was considering doing a couple more tables, although they are tricky to dream up.

@Nomad, I'll dig a screenshot out later when I get home from work. Youre right that the top section could use some smoothing on the collisions. I didnt set the ball as a bullet because it creates problems when it hits the flippers but I am seeing much less ball passing through flipper now since I redesigned them slightly. I've found that setting a box collider rather than a poly definitely improves that.

On the rail for the ball launcher, once it leaves the rail and enters the hole there is an invisible sprite that I do a collision check against, and also make sure the ball is at a certain X position on the table, which guarantees it must be clear of the launcher and cannot fall back down the rail. If its clear then I turn collisions off on the launcher rail and turn on another one.

I actually need to rework the plunger a bit I've never been happy with it, it works but doesn't behave correctly.

Will check your video later. Back to work for now
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2020 21:38 Edited at: 16th Dec 2020 21:41
Heres the screeny Nomad

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2020 22:49 Edited at: 16th Dec 2020 22:51
thanks, paxi

i just now noticed the gallery of zombies at the top. good stuff!

there's a lot going on that i need to pay attention to
[Google Forum Search]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2020 01:55
This looks really good.

Your mechanics look great, and, of course, just watching that made me want to play it.

Most impressive for a first game, as anyone who has played around making pinball stuff knows.

Nice work!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 2nd Jan 2021 03:15
Very clever Paxi until i read i wondered if it was 3D or 2D always good to hear about different approaches to solve problems
I really need to get back into coding certainly allot better than my 2D retro pinball game i made many years ago.

The theme being zombie based, so just thinking of that there is so many ways that you could research google etc for directions
to take on ideas to create different tables

you could even change the themes to like Christmas, Easter etc perhaps a gringe or sleigh as a background image
so just giving ideas hopefully inspirations

There are people that can turn something like that and use in different ways various themes as separate changes or
improvements different releases etc to gain downloads and sometimes profits.

Graphically its a great game and that alone is often reason for people to download and try. Good luck with your developments

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2021 15:37
Great work Paxi, I will be mentioning your game in the Newsletter!
Development Director
TGC Team
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys for the more recent comments and support! I was off the grid for a little while due to another project, some rare 3D work that came up, so I missed the comments.

RickV awesome on the Newsletter

I've been working on a new table "The Graveyard". I considered what other zombie environments I could do, and then realised I could keep the original table (which was sort of graveyard /city theme) and figured just go full graveyard and full city. The 4th one will be the Hospital, which is still just fragments in my imagination at this point.

I'll post a video of the new table soon.
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Some of the new table in action.

haliop787
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With reality.
Posted: 22nd Feb 2021 16:12
Awesome new table. I really like the bats animation really good. Is this done with particle editor ?
Nadav "Haliop" Rosenberg
Lets make the world great forever.
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks hali!

It was done with a particle editor, but not the AppGameKit one. I used 3DS max to do it and render out a short animation. The idea was that the bats kill the zombies but since I cant test particles against sprites I do a simple distance check and if they are within X distance of a zombie, it splats the zombie. Its not exactly what I wanted but I'll probably return to it and figure out a better solution.
haliop787
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With reality.
Posted: 23rd Feb 2021 05:14
Ok so this is what i would do.

I will the run the effect as you do, but i will render it to image so it would look the same and add that rendered image into a sprite, than i would check for collision using the zombie sprite and the bats one.

But then what youll get is 1 huge sprite so it will overlap the entire screen so it might not be such a good solution.

However, you could actually use it the same but with a dummy sprite with no image at all just for collision checking and that sprite will go from width/height of 1 to the max it covers the screen, grows as the animation grows then you might get a really nice and smooth sprite collision checking.
Nadav "Haliop" Rosenberg
Lets make the world great forever.
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Update on ZombieBalls - this is the City table, been having some fun with this. So you can hit the houses on the sides and set the city on fire, which in turn makes the ball burn Zombies in a burning particle puff. To hit the tallest skyscraper you first need to smash down the road barrier and then send the ball around the roundabout and over the bridge. This then triggers the sniper from the roof top if its just the tall skyscraper lit up, he'll only fire 6 shots, but if its all 5 skyscrapers, then the horde is summoned and he gets to shoot 15 zombies - you'll see in the video I managed to get Zombieballs, Horde and Flameball all at once, which really racks up the score.

I need to seriously think about releasing it, but I want to tidy up the UI a bit and clean up some other aspects.

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2021 15:57
This looks really awesome, very nice work man!

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2021 22:41
Awesome stuff. very well done
tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2021 06:49
Fantastic! I love Pinball!

Well done! I wish you much success with this title.
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2021 23:14
This reminds me of Epic Pinball from my youth, was never a big pinball guy but the cool sights and sounds lured me in. Awesome!
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2021 11:37 Edited at: 5th May 2021 11:40
Quote: "This reminds me of Epic Pinball from my youth, was never a big pinball guy but the cool sights and sounds lured me in. Awesome!"

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Best pinball ever

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Kaberz
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG it's fantastic! I like this style of game!
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.
I think I'm ready to launch this on Itch but I'd really feel better if some of you could playtest it and recommend a price you think I could sell it for.
PM me if you would like a download link.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:00:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:00:08