Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / How is your Tier2 experience with Studio?

Author
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you are using Tier2, I would like to hear your experience with AGKS. Did you ran into any showstopper, does it work flawlessly?
Skripter
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't recommend it. I thought its finally a reason for me to learn C++ through the project template.
However as it seems there is absolutely no way to use sub-image-directories. For example the media folder is the only one
in which images have to be put in and you can't go any deeper, can't create subdirectories like media\animated\gui etc so
if your game is not small this is an absolute no-go,
especially since you can't even use C++ inside the Studio Editor, and the Visual Editor is one
of the main reasons why to even get Studio - and directly inside Studio you can even use multiple media-directories but not with C++
outside of the editor.
But for tiny games tier 2 can be used without any problems, although as said,
it doesn't really make sense to use it for small projects, it should actually be optimized for big projects, but with the media
folder limitation this is unfortunately really not recommendable.
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2020 07:28
@MikeHart: For the most part it is the same experience as programming tier 2 in classic; it just uses the studio lib files.

@Skripter: Now on the media folder thing. I'm able to access media in subdirectories. At least under windows don't know other platforms you have to make the path string either
"media/animated/gui" or R"(media\animated\gui)" otherwise it seems the compiler sees the slashes as escape characters which will make it not work. This is using Visual Studio 2019.
Don't know if this has diffent effect in Visual Studio 2017.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you both.
Skripter
Years of Service
User Offline
@DarkRaven Thanks, but I tried "media/animated/gui", as the single-backslash-variant couldn't work, but it really didn't work out. However trying it with \\media\\subdir1\\subdir2 etc. and suddenly it magically worked. (win10 vs2019)
Fokr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2020 14:06 Edited at: 28th Dec 2020 14:11
If you are used to using Visual Studio and C++ it's a no brainer. I have been using tier 2 for a while and I find it much better than the scripting/AGK editor option. The only thing I would say is that bugs are slow to be fixed. I suspect very few people use Tier2 so maybe bugs don't get reported as quickly as Tier1. Last time I looked building on Mac/XCode for iOS had been broken. This was a couple of months ago so hopefully it's working now. Everything else is good.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2020 17:38
Quote: "Now on the media folder thing. I'm able to access media in subdirectories. At least under windows don't know other platforms you have to make the path string either
"media/animated/gui" or R"(media\animated\gui)" otherwise it seems the compiler sees the slashes as escape characters which will make it not work. This is using Visual Studio 2019.
Don't know if this has diffent effect in Visual Studio 2017."

Strictly speaking with C++ (Visual Studio / MinGW / Code / etc.) you should always be using '//' for anything accessing the Filesystem.
This ensures that it's universal... but then you should also be making sure that Unicode is on by default as well.

Now as for actually using the AppGameKit SDK., honestly... if you're using C++ there are MUCH better (and free) options available.
AppGameKit (as an Engine) is exceptionally limiting in terms of Modern Features and Support., most of which is hardcoded... so it's not DarkEngine, where you could extend / add features that the original engine lacked; rather extending AppGameKit SDK often means rewriting entire components to replace what is present just to do something that _should_ be common but simply isn't there because 2012 Mobile Devices / 2005 Desktops didn't support it.

I think that AppGameKit "Tier 1" is an excellent prototyping tool... just to get a "working" idea of what you want to do., but I'd find it hard to recommend it for anything beyond that.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the input guys. I was using Tier2 classic already with Cerberus X and was wondering if getting Studio on sale was worth it. But I made up my mind now and will drop using AppGameKit for my needs.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2020 06:15 Edited at: 30th Dec 2020 06:15
Quote: " I was using Tier2 classic already with Cerberus X"

what is the Cerberus X?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It is a Cross platform game dev language/toolset.
RobbSnow
Years of Service
User Offline
what is the Cerberus X?

It is a fork or continuation of the old Monkey X product. The developer went on to something new and abandoned Monkey X. A third party has renamed it Cerberus X and continued development on it. I have checked the status in a few years but that is how I remember it.

Thanks
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, RobbSnow, that is it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:59:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:59:03