Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / No folding shortcut in Studio's IDE?!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2021 15:44
I don't know about you guys, but I like to keep my code super neat, commented, and all stashed away in neat folds.

I find it rather stupid that SHIFT-CTRL-Up/Down would be missing from Studio's IDE as I used it all the time to fold/unfold everything in one go in Classic. This is rather exacerbated by the fact that Studio loads a project with everything unfolded for no reason. And it's furthermore exacerbated by the fact that closing a large fold is slow as all hell as the IDE's graphics update like it was running on a C64.

So lame. Much unimpressed. Very meh.

I'd put in a feature request if I didn't have to make a new github account (I forgot my old password and the password change request don't work). But I have a feeling it would be ignored anyways.

That's it. I'm done venting. Thank you.
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2021 15:52
I'm with you, mate. Kinda annoying indeed.
Regards Sph!nx
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2021 16:02
Just figured out that if you uncheck Event-Based Rendering in the preference, the folds are at least closing fast now...
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2021 17:37
Request added: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGK-Studio/issues/782

Also added Request for foldable Types.
[My Itch.io Home] [Now Playing]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2021 19:31
Thanks for adding it in. Not sure it's going to get done any time this century though... 339 open issues, some of them over three years old
GreekToMe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2021 18:39
I had brought up and registered this issue before, more than once. Not as much for the shortcut keystrokes as for the "retention". The IDE does not save the "folds"
Cheers!
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2021 21:36
They need a QA manager to format their issues, standardize their labels, help prioritize for the next build etc etc. Speaking as a guy with 15+ years of QA management experience in the games industry, if you let the programmers handle the bugbase, nothing ever gets done. EVER.

Adding two keyboard shortcuts and saving some project data (fold status, tab order) is something so trivial that it barely takes a day of work....especially considering the code is already in the Classic codebase. That it hasn't been addressed yet, multiple times, just screams of classic programmer stupidity. Not important to them, so not important at all.
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2021 21:49
I just PM'ed mister Johnston, see if they need someone to help them manage this stuff. We'll see if the message ends up in limbo, right next to the 340 issues
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2021 21:57
n00bstar wrote: "especially considering the code is already in the Classic codebase"

I would love to see the Geany IDE brought to Studio.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:24:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:24:58