Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Code formatting colours in AGK Studio

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just made the switch from AppGameKit Classic to Studio, and I must say, it fixes most of the problems I had with AppGameKit Classic, and seems like a really great product, I'm a happy customer so far!

However, there is one problem I've noticed:
(apologies for the lack of pictures, by the way, I'm new to this whole forum thing and can't work out how to do it )

I use the AppGameKit Dark theme in Classic, which I really like, so in Studio I just used the ability to customise all the colours (which is brilliant, by the way) to match the colours I like.
The problem is, though, that in AppGameKit Classic, the parentheses, dots, commas, operators and so on are a different colour to the rest (in the case of AppGameKit Dark, they're orange).
I really liked this feature, for me it made the code much more readable, but in AppGameKit Studio, all those things are lumped in with the colour for "identifier", which is basically all the words that aren't values or functions. This makes my code seem like an impenetrable block in comparison

I'm sure I could get used to it in time, but I thought I'd ask:

Is there any way to do this that I'm missing?
And if not, I personally think this would be a great addition to the software, even if it doesn't really improve the functionality or anything.
Perhaps even add the AppGameKit Classic colour schemes into Studio for people like me making the switch
Although I understand that not doing this was probably purposeful, to try and move on from Classic.

Anyway, what do you people think?
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2021 11:17
"Anyway, what do you people think?"

I think it's an excellent suggestion. I'd love to see several of AGK2's conveniences added to AppGameKit Studio, and theme customization is one of them.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2021 20:42 Edited at: 15th May 2021 20:43
Yeah, I had one or two rants about this myself, operators must be red, it really is not hard to implement, lots of shortcuts missing as well

behold, red operators!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dualunitfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a way to actually suggest this as a feature, or do we just have to hope the devs see this post?
Also I noticed there're no indentation lines, that would also be a useful formatting addition, I think, although less important.
Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it much harder without the coloured operators
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2021 16:58
PTC made similar request on the Studio Github (which was read by a dev in 2020). That's your best bet to request features, report bugs, etc..

tangent, you said:
Quote: "(Studio) fixes most of the problems I had with AppGameKit Classic"

like what?
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
Dualunitfold
Years of Service
User Offline
"PTC made similar request on the Studio Github (which was read by a dev in 2020). That's your best bet to request features, report bugs, etc.."
I see, I'll have a look at that, thanks

Well I've only been using Studio for a few days, but I was really happy about quite a few things (mostly just quality of life stuff):

The debug mode looks much better, and that keep application on top thing is good because I was always irritated by having to put the windows beside each other to step through the code.
Having to switch over to file explorer to remember what I'd called my image files or other things was a pain, and now that can be done within Studio, and even just drag and drop it to make the LoadImage function.
Not being able to find the functions I want to in my code. Sometimes I'd have a few big functions in a single file and it would take longer than I'd like to find specific ones. Those drop-downs at the top fix that, at least to an extent.
I was constantly looking up the documentation for various functions, or just seeing if there was a function to do what I wanted, so having the help files in the program is very handy.
I haven't used it yet, but I can see being able to preview sounds in the media window being very useful too.
If I can get the hang of it, using the functionality to drag and sprites on the screen rather than just guessing numbers will be amazing, honestly that was one of the biggest things that put me off making UIs with buttons and things, or at least made it annoying when I wanted to.

I'm really excited about those things, and looking forward to carrying on coding my games using them.

Not sure about the scene editor, I don't like not having full control over the source code of my projects, but it might be good to let go a bit. And even so, it's not like you have to use it.

There is one thing that I wish Studio fixed that I don't think it does, though. That being still autocompleting variables that aren't in the current scope. When I have a large project, I find myself actively doing my best to have as few variables inside my functions as humanly possible, and deliberately not declaring them explicitly just so it doesn't try and autocomplete them elsewhere in my code. I do find that quite irritating. I don't know if it's easy to do differently, or if any other software does, but to me it seems like it'd be better not to autocomplete that one "currHighest" variable inside some obscure function everywhere in the project. I might not be seeing the consequences of that though, so I'm hesitant to say it would definitely be an improvement.

Oh, one last thing, I haven't found a way to make the image file preview not blurry. You know, like "SetDefaultMag/MinFilter(0)"? My pixel art has a magenta background most of the time, so there's an annoying pink aura around everything. Functionally, it's fine, but it looks a bit disgusting
Is there a way to do that?

Like I say though, I reckon I'll be using Studio much more than Classic now, I just like the interface and the new features a lot
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2021 20:49
thanks for the response, & the insight.

meanwhile, have you seen SetImageMinFilter() and SetImageMagFilter() in the image set of commands?
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
Dualunitfold
Years of Service
User Offline
I do know about those commands, yeah, I'm fine for actual project coding stuff, I usually just call SetDefaultMagFilter(0) at the start because I usually make pixel art stuff.
I was just talking about the special preview window in Studio that previews what the files in the media window look like.
I wish I knew how to display images... I seem to have managed to attach one, so if you can see that it'll explain what I mean.

Another thing
Studio doesn't remember the order of the project file tabs at the top when you close it, like Classic does, which is a tad annoying.

I feel like I'm just pointing out all the bad things about Studio here now, which is not what I intended, I do like it, honest
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2021 17:02
You made a lot of good points there and although I have been pretty vocal about my dissatisfaction with Studio I have to agree with almost every point you made, the "scene source" thing does not really bother me to be honest I know what you mean about source control I like to use all my own code but the scene files are no different to a basic save file, after all, that data has to come from somewhere and rather than coding homebrew importers the source is provided, also, as I usually use the scene editor in Studio and do a bulk of my coding in Classic the scene source loads without problem, if there was a xml (for instance) scene save file and a Studio only LoadScene function(s) then Classic users are stuffed, I think TGC made the right call there.

Quote: "I feel like I'm just pointing out all the bad things about Studio here now, which is not what I intended, I do like it, honest"

Its hard not to bash on Studio because we all know its not fulfilling its potential, its a fantastic library but the IDE lets it down it could be so much better.
Dualunitfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I see what you mean about Studio, but I do think it deserves a lot of credit.
It feels like it's focused on bringing new features and improvements to the IDE, but has perhaps missed out some of the conveniences of Classic that would be very nice. Indentation lines, coloured operators, all the keybindings, and lots of other little things that seem to have been left out in the name of progress.
Which, like I say, I do think is really cool progress, but it would be great to be able to fully switch to Studio and not feel like you're missing out on anything Classic had to offer that Studio really should.
A great product in my opinion, but I would love to see some effort being put into giving it the polish and all the options that Classic already had, so that you could move on without any reservations.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:27:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:27:00