Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Some general questions before starting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2023 09:57 Edited at: 26th Jun 2023 10:40
Hello again,
Laurent from France, basic programming fan n°1. See that DK is still living ! Incredible after all these years ! Remenber buying DARK BASIC... it was in... cant remember... 2000 ???

Sorry, but i cannot code with AppGameKit, for me it is no more basic. Dark Basic is the king.

Perhaps I will use DBP for a future game, but I have some questions :

DKP is still fully compatible with windows 10//11 ?

PNG format is available or not ? (I see some code with BMP)

What are the sound/music formats supported ?

Is there commands to cut tiles/sprites into a big PNG tileset ? I don't want to download tile by tile (hidden display of the tileset and cutting with GET ?)

Possible to separate the code into several files with a link between them ?

Thank you !!!!

Laurent
Code Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I am running Windows 10 and i can say that DBP is fully compatible with Windows 10.

Yes the PNG image format is available.

sound formats supported - Wav
Music formats supported - MIDI or MP3
other formats can bee available via plugins

Yes there is a command for making sprites from a big image.
CREATE ANIMATED SPRITE Sprite Number, Filename, Across, Down, Image Number
The command automatically builds a sequence of animation frames from an image file by cutting up the image into a grid specified by the Across and Down Values. The Image Number will be used to hold the complete image. Use the PLAY SPRITE command to see the individual frames of this image. The parameters should be specified using integer values.

Yes you can put code into several files and then use the #include command to merge them into the main program like this
#INCLUDE DBA Filename
You can use this command to simplify your main program by writing sub-programs that hold re-usable independent functions. The #include will associate all the functions within the sub-program with the main program during compilation. The Filename String must specify a Dark Basic Professional program in the current project directory. You can #include up to 255 sub-programs in total. Sub-programs can also use the #include command to further nest sub-programs, but all sub-programs compile into the main program so duplicated function names are not allowed. Be aware that included source code is appended to the end of the program, which means such declarations as TYPE and FUNCTION names included are only valid for use within the included file. If you want to use your TYPE globally, ensure it is declared in your main program.

Happy codeing

You know you've been coding for too long when you see a shadow on the floor and think, hmm... that's look nice, i wonder
what kind of shader code was used to make that ?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 17:09:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 17:09:37