Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / App Game Kit & Pi 4- AppGameKit 2021.02.10

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2023 01:13 Edited at: 1st Aug 2023 02:26
Anyone know where I can download this version, it's not in my products on my account..

Trying to get AppGameKit running on Pi 4.

Does anyone have it on their account?
tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2023 13:24 Edited at: 17th Sep 2023 13:24
I'm not sure which version this is but you can try this PiPlayer and see if it works for you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2023 01:34
Hi tboy,

Many thanks.. will give it a try!

Cheers buddy.

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2023 19:16
Hey Tboy,
Many thanks for posting that Tier1 PiPlayer.
It worked very well on the raspberry pi 4 with RaspiOS Bullseye aarch64. AppGameKit is from January 2023.

Previously I attempted to compile the player by following the tutorial on other thread, but there were many failures.

May the 3d force B with U
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2023 03:41
Hey JDforce,

Thanks for your post.

So it's RaspiOS Bullseye aarch64, and AppGameKit Jan 2023..

Shall give this a test also and confirm my results.!

Just the Pi5 to sort out then

tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2023 13:48
That's great JDforce!

I'll be ordering a Pi5 in the new year so I will give it a try!

Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2023 14:19
Hey tboy,

If you can get the Pi5 running I'd be very interested, pushing the Pi3 B+ to it's limits at present ( which is fun ).

I'm hoping to visit the factory shortly where they manufacture them here in Wales ( SONY, Pencoed ), which is just up the road from where I am based.

I was speaking with them yesterday, so if I can get a few samples, I'd be happy to send you one.

Yeshu777
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2023 14:57
Sadly in my tests I found that the GPIO functions do not work. All other functions seem to work, including sound, 2 and 3d commands, animation, physics, Etc.
There was a "file not found:0" error and it is because AppGameKit is reading (as other languages do) and writing to the file buffer of the GPIO.
When the command tries to open the GPIO file, it fails.

I just found that there is an AppGameKit for python, and will give a try, because in that way I assume it could work with all the native python ecosystem for the raspberry pi.
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2023 15:14
EDIT
Bummer: it seems the python version offered for python is only compiled for windows and is not really open to true python extensions.
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2023 15:42

I can probably write a work around for the GPIO problem.

tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2023 21:00 Edited at: 18th Dec 2023 21:42
Hi Yeshu777,

That's very generous of you, thank you, I appreciate it, it's not a problem if you can't get hold of one as I was going to add a few bits for the Pi4 (New case + SSD) from the PiHut in the new year.

I'm excited to see how well https://u3d.io works on the Pi5 but I will definately try AGK.

JDforce,

The Linux player (LinuxCore.cpp) doesn't contain any GPIO code but there is in PiCore.cpp.

I haven't had any experience with GPIO, that's Yeshu777's domain

Try the attached PiPlayer, I've replaced the code in LinuxCore.cpp with the GPIO code from PiCore.cpp, see if this works.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2023 22:31
Hi Tboy,
A thousand thanks for this. I can confirm that this version of your PiPlayer does work with the GPIO in both directions, In/Out.

Am doing some apps that interact with hardware, so this is vital for my project to work.
If you need advise on hardware, that is my area. Will be glad to help if sometime you need advise.

For the player compilation, I confess I tried without success, thank goodness you could do it.
And here is the procedure I followed, maybe you find something out of place, and probably there are some tricks I haven't found.

Procedure:
I followed again your original post with the procedure to clone the repo compile the player and attempted to build it.
This is on a raspberry pi 4 with Bullseye 64.
My problem so far has been that it compiles but the player shows some strange errors, like "surface not found", "object not found", "Physics world not found" and so on.
On the cloned repo I noted that the routines for accessing gpio are in the functions OpenToWrite and related, are found on these files:

AGKTier2/platform/pi/Source/piCore.cpp
but not on
AGKTier2/platform/linux/Source/linuxCore.cpp.

Since your procedure builds the linux player (not the pi player), I copied the source blocks on the functions (AGK::cFile:penToRead, AGK::cFile:penToWrite, AGK::cFile::Close, cFile::WriteByte, cFile::ReadByte) from piCore.cpp and edited linuxCore.cpp to include the functionality inside those functions.

I tried with make with and without the -B parameter to force rebuild all targets:
cd ~/AGKTier2
make (or make -B)
cd interpreter_linux
make (or make -B)
The result is the same as before. The player itself opens with it's standard AppGameKit logo, device ip and ipv6, and UNCONNECTED label. But when running Tier1 scripts from the geany AppGameKit ide (execute on terminal) it shows on the terminal innumerable errors related to sprite not found, file not found, physics world not found, sprite xxx does not exist, Falied to create sprite ID already exists, Etc. Etc.

On another attempt. I renamed PiMakefile to Makefile (and Makefile to LinuxMakefile), and repeat the make -B but this time compilation fails, (from make errors, I corrected some g++-4.8 and gcc4.8 declarations that seemed to be not in pair with my installed packages) but I just stopped trying. Maybe I have to create an SD card with Buster32 instead of Bullseye64 just for creating the player.

In the meantime, your solution is ideal. Thanks!
Let's go to Mars
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2023 08:07
Hey Guys,

This looks great, going to see if I can get this up and running today.

At present I'm pushing the 3B+ to it's limit with my latest project and the Pi4 would resolve this.

Cheers!

Yeshu777

Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2023 18:52
Hi Both,

Ok, I've got the Bullseye and AppGameKit as

>>So it's RaspiOS Bullseye aarch64, and AppGameKit Jan 2023..

I ran the install script from Tboys post to install the lins etc - whatever is required.

Whether I'm doing something exceedingly dull, I can't even get the IDE running from the AppGameKit shortcut..

Can you guys give a me refresher as to what I might of missed?

( apologies, been one of those days )

Yeshu777
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2023 18:23
Yeshu777,
in Bullseye 64, initially I had that problem, and installing all the needed packages make it work. However I had to run the ide as sudo the first time. Still wonder why.

The problem you describe is similar to what I am experiencing in WormBook 64. It only shows a black window, and strace displays XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment. After settiing the variable, now it says No such file or directory. Will leave Bookworm in pause by now.

(My only problem so far in Bullseye 64 is that the final linux player make has runtime errors, but the one posted by Tboy works great for Tier1. It is either a wrong git repo or some package is different from the Buster version mentioned in the Tboys post.)
Attached here the list of packages installed in my development raspberry pi4 with Bullseye64. You can generate yours with sudo dpkg -l > packagesinstalled.txt and compare with mine.
Also be sure that cat /etc/os-release and uname -a show you the correct OS and architecture.

julio@pi4jdgamer:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
julio@pi4jdgamer:~ $ uname -a
Linux pi4jdgamer 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Let's go to Mars
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2023 11:59
Hi Many thanks,

Will get onto this today & report back

Yeshu777

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:56:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:56:47