Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Did x-men cartoon plagiarize the theme song?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2023 06:16
I randomly stumbled upon the fact that Marvel (among Saban, Fox, and others) was sued a few years ago over the 90s cartoon theme song, stating it plagiarized an 80's Hungarian tv show, Linda. I found the theme on youtube and at first I thought the claim was silly, but then you hear it. You can definitely hear the key similarities and I think they actually have a legitimate case. What do you guys think?

And for those who didn't already know, season 6 will be out this year on Disney+, about 25 years after the last season.

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2023 13:19 Edited at: 10th Aug 2023 13:30
definitely similar

but i'd also say it's different "enough".

x-men wrote: "originally aired on October 31 and November 7, 1992"

i'd bet if you set a simple harvester to gather theme songs from all the shows of a given era (these aired <10 years apart?), you'd find a ton of apparent plagarism.

with that, if i code something to "write" songs like this and publish the 1,000,000 generated songs, do i get royalties/law suits galore?

where does it end? in a court, i expect...

btw, i'm sure i'm clueless here but are either of those so dificult to compose? most things are written by folks who were influenced by something (many things) they've heard before, so... influence vs willful, blatant plagarism.

that said, every metal song (most of what i listen to) owes something to black sabbath. and they owe plenty to those that influenced them. isn't this the way of things? so, enter $$ and here we are.

(and don't get me started on "sampling")

it's a wonderful world
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2023 17:17
We could ask vanilla ice. Pretty sure he losted that suit from queen/bowie.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:04:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:04:47