Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] AGK Studio 64 bit issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2023 21:51 Edited at: 30th Nov 2023 21:54
I recently acquired a Surface Pro 5, and wanted to see if it was possible to work with AppGameKit studio on it. I tried running my compiled app, and it ran no problem. However, Studio itself fails to start. Running IDE.exe directly showed me that the xinput .dll was missing, so I installed that. It still failed to start, just shutting down with a new warning: Unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).

I installed AppGameKit Classic and tried that - it started up fine and ran my app. Then I tried switching Classic to compile in 64 bit and it failed, so clearly I'm missing something related to making things run in 64 bit.

I prefer using Studio, so I wondered if anyone had any ideas? I've tried installing legacy DirectX and making sure .net is up to date but so far no luck.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

CatfoodMcFly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2023 22:11 Edited at: 30th Nov 2023 22:11
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I managed to solve the issue - I had put the 32 bit version of Xinput1_3.dll in my system32 folder. Having figured out this goof, I replaced it with the 64 bit version of Xinput and now it opens and runs Studio just fine!
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2023 00:54 Edited at: 1st Dec 2023 00:55
You should never run into that error or any like it with AGK/S. It would also mean players of your games would run into the same problem. It is caused when there is a dependency on an old/outdated file that does not come with Windows and requires installing outside runtimes/files. XInput1_3.dll, 1_1, 1_2, and 1_4 are from 2006-2007 and should never be needed with a current development language (or even an old one).

AppGameKit should only require what comes with Windows by default (including older versions) for nearly the last decade, which is XInput9_1_0.dll and no installation of old DirectX files (especially from a 2010 era installer or its files) should be necessary. If this issue has been reintroduced by TGC (perhaps by changing Visual Studio again), it will need to be fixed as it is a compatibility gap that should never exist in 2023 (or even 2015 for that matter).

Also check to make sure you are not using any plugins with the same kind of unnecessary dependency as those can also introduce problems that won't exist with AGK/S itself.

See the following thread on the subject: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229030
CatfoodMcFly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2023 07:09
Thank you, I did read through that post when I was trying to figure it out. The app has been on Steam for a while, and never caused any issues this way. It also ran fine when I tested it, it was only running AGKS itself that threw up the error on a clean new install on the surface pro 5 running Windows 11.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah ok, good to hear it was only the IDE itself then. That too should never require such an old (Windows XP era) library.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:46:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:46:47