Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Parsing JSON files longer than the string size limit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to read maps from Tiled into my game, and I've hit an interesting roadblock: the json is now longer than the string data type allows.
The only way I can find of parsing the json is by passing the whole thing as a string into the .fromJSON function of a user-defined type. Is there a way I could get around the string size limit other than splitting out the actual map data into a separate csv file and having the json point to that?

Here's the code I'm currently using to read the map data from the json file:

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2023 00:02
Why not just use JsonStructure.load("filename")
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2023 16:51 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2023 17:00
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
What error message are you getting, if any? Can you provide the Json file in question? Out of curiosity, what happens if you replace

with

You shouldn't have to read through a Json file line by line to load it into a string. At least, I've never needed to (including with Tiled Json files). I wonder if that could be causing a problem.

Quote: "Why not just use JsonStructure.load("filename")"

Can you elaborate? This doesn't appear to exist in Tier 1.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2023 18:00 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2023 18:18
Quote: "Can you elaborate? This doesn't appear to exist in Tier 1."

see JSON near the bottom of the V2 Arrays guide.

then, i'm curious how AppGameKit handles that functionality vs the string limitation.

meanwhile, i don't believe the .json is binary so ReadLine() would be appropriate vs ReadString() ?
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2023 18:26 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2023 18:33
Ah, I see. It's for arrays and doesn't work on UDTs directly. I guess a workaround would be to wrap the UDT and Json data in a single element array.

Quote: "meanwhile, i don't believe the .json is binary so ReadLine() would be appropriate vs ReadString() ?"

I've always used ReadString(file) to read in an entire Json file. Used it for my own Tiled and Ogmo importer modules in the past. Definitely works.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2023 18:44
Quote: "I've always used ReadString(file)"

ah, so not using While/EndWhile at all (thought you were suggesting replacing just the 1 ReadLine() line). but, that's very cool.

no hands on experience with .json here beyond the documentation so good to know
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ah, so not using While/EndWhile at all (thought you were suggesting replacing just the 1 ReadLine() line). but, that's very cool."

Oh yeah, I should have clarified that. Just one call to ReadString() should work for the whole file. Not sure if this will solve OP's problem, though. I do remember running into an issue with FileEOF() not behaving as expected, but this was years ago.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2023 21:37 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2023 21:38
Dualunitfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all for the replies! This was for a game jam, so I just used a workaround for that, but I plan on continuing work on the game, so a better solution would be good. I shall try ReadString() and arr.load() and see what results they have.

As for the questions you had, the error it gives is "Error: Invalid JSON, unexpected character in object in MapLoading.agc at line 51

I have also attached the json file which causes this error, called "Map2.json"
The test I did which lead me to the conclusion that I was reaching the string limit was I printed out the result of Right(JsonData) after reading the file, and it was definitely not the end of the file that printed out. It's entirely possible that it could be a limit on some function that I used along the way though rather than a limit on the length of the string (for example FileEOF() acting weirdly)

Cheers!
Dualunitfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, I've given both methods a quick test, and the ReadString() method definitely works, so I think I will go forward with that one.
The array.load() method with the json root being a single element array doesn't seem to populate the type correctly. It doesn't error when reading, but if I do Root[0].layers[0] it complains at me saying layers doesn't have any elements, and none of the other attributes have any data in them either

Thanks very much!
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad it worked! My only guess as to why, is that ReadLine() may be messing with the format in some way that the Json parser doesn't like. I don't really know that much about the inner workings, though. ReadString() works by reading characters until it reaches a null terminator (ie 0x00), so it will read a plain text file in its entirety, leaving the formatting untouched. ReadLine() reads until it reaches a line feed character (0x0A) and (I think) removes the character from the string it returns, so the formatting is changed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:16:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:16:05