Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] AGK Studio with a classic IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2023 16:31
Is there anyway to get Classic's IDE in Studio, I for one hate the drop down function/variable lists I prefer classics side selections?
-EdzUp
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EdzUp

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2023 09:26 Edited at: 27th Dec 2023 09:34
I doubt it. A lot of people prefer the Classic IDE but it looks like Classic is finished as it's only had one update in the last 12 months which completely broke it, so it looks like we are stuck with the Studio IDE or the VScode extension for now.

There was an announcement a few weeks ago that said there would be a update on the future of AppGameKit by the end of the year, it doesn't look like that is going to happen now though as there is only a few days left.

To quote TGC...
"Thank you for your patience and we will release more news on the AppGameKit forum before the end of the year"
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2023 15:27 Edited at: 28th Dec 2023 15:28
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I use the classic IDE with studio almost exclusively due to various problems and limitations with the later IDE. I only launch studio's IDE when I need to make a quick compile for mobile or for a particular render mode test. But for nearly all other testing and desktop development, I stick with classic's IDE all of the time. To run the original IDE in the Windows desktop environment, copy these players from the studio location to the classic locations:

AppGameKit Studio\Players\Windows\Windows.exe
AppGameKit Studio\Players\Windows\Windows64.exe

To (back up your originals):
AGK2\Players\Windows\Windows.exe
AGK2\Players\Windows\Windows64.exe
AGK2\Tier 1\Compiler\interpreters\Windows.exe
AGK2\Tier 1\Compiler\interpreters\Windows64.exe

And also be sure to migrate any of your plugins. Once the needed files are in place, you can launch the original IDE and run your projects as desired. However, there are a few things to be aware of:

- The directive for render mode will not work. So I just leave this to default (with the '#renderer' line remmed out) and if I need to test a specific rendering mode, I can launch Studio's IDE and run the project from there for short term testing in the alternate rendering mode. Other directives work fine (ie '#Import_Plugin').

- I'm running an older build of the Studio players (Sept '21) that has the needed structure/formatting to work with the classic IDE. It's possible this formatting may not be maintained for continued compatibility, so the option may not always be available. Since I did not have a need for later editions of the Studio players for desktop, I haven't tried updating them since. So using this option may require copying older players or testing with later ones to make sure things still work.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2023 20:10
Thanks SFSW will give that a try
-EdzUp
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2023 23:14 Edited at: 28th Dec 2023 23:16
What is the difference between the classic and studio players? What are you gaining from using the Studio players?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2023 03:38 Edited at: 29th Dec 2023 17:54
Basically just what Studio offers over classic. A few quick examples currently:

- Better mobile support with more current SDK targets and consistent rendering structure. You can test in Studio on Windows with the newer players using the classic IDE, then directly compile the AAB/APK within studio using the same rendering behavior (UV scaling/scrolling, inverted depth, texture filtering, etc).

- Access to the Vulkan renderer (OpenGL still optionally available). No blurry mipmapping nor lack of anisotropic filtering (textures look dramatically better at narrower angles). Newer hardware designed to better take advantage of Vulkan and/or more extensive graphics elements can also see a significant performance benefit (upwards of 200% in some scenarios, ie https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/227378 ).

- Potentially more current and updated code for fixes/features.

But the primary benefit is not being stuck with Studio's IDE. If such features are of little/no benefit to you, then you should probably stay with the classic players. However, Studio's feature additions are very important to me in my work, but the later IDE is the biggest obstacle for its usability as a development tool. So for me and others, it makes sense to restore the IDE that worked so well with the newer tech available in Studio for those of us that want/need it.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2023 10:53
Thanks for the explanation as I wasn't aware of any of that. I'm a big Classic fan but I have been using VSCode for a few months and really like it. All the benefits of Studio but without using the Studio IDE.

I may try Classic with the Studio window files though just to check it it out.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2023 14:57
I for one love the function/variables list down the left side in Studio these are relegated to drop down menus at the top making navigation more of a chore.

For me I code in classic and test but compile and release in Studio
-EdzUp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 22:38:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 22:38:36