Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Possible to buy AppGameKit Studio without steam?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2024 17:42
Is it possible to buy AppGameKit Studio without steam?
If so, I can't find the link...
Tks

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2024 17:57 Edited at: 7th Jan 2024 17:59
no, i don't believe so, ICERGB.

AGK/S went steam-only awhile back. but, if it's any consolation, it don't believe steam is required to launch after purchase while you will need steam to update, etc.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2024 02:49
I was not aware of that (AGK Studio being available for purchase only through Steam presently, unlike in the past).

Hopefully the Steam edition of AppGameKit Studio can still launch and be installed in a Windows 7 OS environment, because Valve announced that the Steam client App would no longer function running under Windows 7 OS beginning sometime in January of 2024.

I would assume, however, that AppGameKit Studio purchased through Steam could run under Windows 10 or 11 without an online requirement, but likely only through the Steam client App running under Windows 10 or 11.
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2024 07:55 Edited at: 26th Jan 2024 07:55
You can run AppGameKit Studio without Steam.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2024 19:22
jlahtinen wrote: "You can run AppGameKit Studio without Steam."

Do you mean that the Steam-purchased version of AppGameKit Studio can be run entirely outside of the Steam client App?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2024 16:33 Edited at: 29th Jan 2024 16:33
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Yes, it runs without the Steam client, but you need steam to update it.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2024 20:44
Zaxxan wrote: "Yes, it runs without the Steam client, but you need steam to update it."

I was not aware of that. That's good to know, thanks!
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2024 16:47 Edited at: 1st Feb 2024 17:20
I just drag the whole AppGameKit folder onto the desktop. Can't believe how far I have come over the last six years from an almost total beginner to a point where I'm quite pleased to be never thought I would be doing any 3D programming but there we are. My creation I'm working on now is gonna be my best game yet. ( It needs to be ) . I took a year off programming but returned and I'm glad I did. After 5 years of programming about 3 with AppGameKit C/S I find AppGameKit to be the best language I have tried and feel competent I could put most projects together Games or Other programs. I now find using AppGameKit studio not easy as it can be hard work at times but I'm way faster than I used to be and as a result of this less pressure less feeling jared off after being stuck on something for days and really enjoying what I'm doing. This is a recent thing and there have been many times I felt like giving up but I never quit but just kept looking for the answer and moving onto the next problem. As far as self improvement goes this is the best thing I have done. I tried 5 programming languages in total and the one I choose to use is AppGameKit Studio so I hope it will be useable for some years to come.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2024 02:09
Pfaber1 wrote: "I just drag the whole AppGameKit folder onto the desktop"

That's interesting, I was not aware it could be done that easily. Definitely good to know. Steam is an overall good system but it is certainly a benefit to be able to run AppGameKit Studio independently of steam, and without an online requirement as some software is designed to have that requirement.

Pfaber1 wrote: "After 5 years of programming about 3 with AppGameKit C/S I find AppGameKit to be the best language I have tried and feel competent I could put most projects together Games or Other programs. I now find using AppGameKit studio not easy as it can be hard work at times but I'm way faster than I used to be and as a result of this less pressure less feeling jared off after being stuck on something for days and really enjoying what I'm doing. This is a recent thing and there have been many times I felt like giving up but I never quit but just kept looking for the answer and moving onto the next problem."

Thanks for sharing those insights! I have been experiencing something similar, and it is satisfying to work through programming challenges and gain experience. The more I use and learn AppGameKit, the more confidence I gain at programming using this system and gradually the more skilled I become. I am looking forward especially to using tier2 (C++ AGK) in the future as well, but I find tier 1 and AppGameKit Studio to be just great as a development environment for creating games in a highly iterative fashion, one small step or one small feature at a time. It actually really reminds me of Garry Kitchen's Gamemaker (circa 1980s) and STOS/AMOS (circa 1980s/90s). C++ has its own strengths as well which these do not have, but there's a unique balance between prototyping, playtesting and designing which AppGameKit tier 1 seems to capture or utilize nicely.

Pfaber1 wrote: "I tried 5 programming languages in total and the one I choose to use is AppGameKit Studio so I hope it will be useable for some years to come."

Have you tried programming AppGameKit in tier 2 (C++)? If so, how do you find it compared to tier 1? (Maybe this should be the topic of a new thread). I think AppGameKit Studio will be usable for a long, long time because, if for no other reason, it targets HTML5, Linux and Windows which should remain relatively static platforms in the long term, maybe even for decades. With a bit of tuning, software that is 10-20 years old can be run on more modern hardware for which that software was not originally designed, such as HTML5 Apps or Windows XP Apps under Windows 11 using either backward compatibility layers or even if need be emulators or virtual machines that emulate older dated hardware.

Which brings it back full circle to the Steam client App: I am delighted to hear that AppGameKit Studio and other components of AppGameKit can be executed independently of the Steam App, even if purchased through Steam. That capability helps to "future proof" AppGameKit from potentially arbitrary changes which Valve / Steam might decide to implement at any given time (for example, the recent removal of the Steam client App's ability to function on the Windows 7 OS).

In part due to AGK's feature of running outside of the Steam client App, I don't anticipate AppGameKit becoming outdated or irrelevant or unusable for a long, long time. And therefore, skills learned using AppGameKit (besides also highly transferable general programming skills) I believe will likewise be valuable skills to learn for a long, long time, whether in tier 1 or tier 2 or both tiers.

Pfaber1 wrote: "My creation I'm working on now is gonna be my best game yet. "

I wish you success in your current and any future programming project(s)!

Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2024 18:58
If I new a bit of C++ I might of had a go at it but I know next to nothing about OOP or C++ . Another language I have tried is Lua which I found quite agreeable but I had problems when it came to creating my exe. files .
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2024 00:57
Pfaber1 wrote: "If I new a bit of C++ I might of had a go at it but I know next to nothing about OOP or C++ ."

I am no C++ expert, but I've found that C++ can be learned gradually, step by step, all the while allowing the programmer to create full apps without requiring the use of all of the language's features. There are advanced features which I have heard of but have not practiced, but there are also more "BASIC-like" features of C++ which BASIC language programming experience can be very helpful with learning. For example, in AppGameKit tier 1 a type...endtype is very similar to a C++ struct. In some ways, C++ can be even more self-documenting than tier 1 BASIC by using enums (enumerators) and classes (very similar to structs / types) with programmer-friendly member names. C++ also supports constants like BASIC does (using the keyword #const like tier 1 BASIC's own keyword #constant). Like any language, there is a learning curve but C++ is an extremely versatile language and very powerful also. Personally, it's my favorite computer language (of the ones I know or have tried), with BASIC being my close 2nd favorite. If you are interested in learning C++, I would recommend it.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2024 12:25
It's like this for me, Basic used to be quite hard in the days of the zx81 spectrum c64 and not so good as slow , now fast forward 30 years and basic is now fast enough for games 2d and 3d as in AppGameKit Studio OpenGL / Vulkan. And this will only improve with time.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2024 05:05
Pfaber1 wrote: "...and basic is now fast enough for games 2d and 3d as in AppGameKit Studio OpenGL / Vulkan."

That makes sense. I really do enjoy programming in BASIC language, and in some aspects even moreso than in C++. Both languages have a lot of merit and their own strengths, and if either one is adequately powerful for the task or project, then for sure either one is equally good I would think. Like the saying goes, "If the shoe fits wear it." Nothing wrong with using BASIC language for programming.

sidenote: in my previous post, I erroneously said that C++ has the #const keyword, but that should rather be "const" not "#const". I need more practice in C++ I am still kind of rusty!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 03:56:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 03:56:13