Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / Surprising find... Same Pi OS works on Pi3 and 4

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2024 16:27
This came as a surprise to me.
I remember trying to run Raspbian Jessie on a raspberry pi 4 and it simply didn't work, with all messages indicating that the kernel is different.
Because of that, I always have set my SD cards either for the pi3 or pi4. (more precisely, micro SD cards, of course)

Today I was checking contents of some unmarked SD cards, using a Pi4 and a Pi3
Inserted a card on the pi3 (B+) and it booted perfectly to the Bulllseye 32 desktop. I realized that it was an SD card I prepared for the Pi4, so I tested a group of cards with Buster 32, Bullseye 32 and Bookworm 32. All of them boot perfectly.
Based on that I did some web search and some say work, some say don't. Some say that they don't work if there are some special hardware configured, drivers and so.
Have not tested cards prepared on a Pi3 yet, but wanted to share this finding.

The sad part is that my AppGameKit game at full screen runs very slow on the Pi3B+. On landscape mode (no screen rotation), full screen, am getting between 7 and 14 FPS. Guess that in 90 degree rotation for a portrait monitor it will be half of that.
Let's go to Mars
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2024 01:50
Hi JD,

Yes they do, I found that also by the same accident.

Need to label my SD cards better..

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2024 19:45
I assume that one is a major difference between "Raspbian" and "Raspberry Pi OS"
Let's go to Mars

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:25:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:25:18