Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Raspberry Pi / Windowed - Fake Full Screen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2024 02:53
Hi All,

I want to test an App that I usually have set full screen, but just for a test, set it to windowed without the frame etc..

Can't see a quick option to remove the window frame? any advice?

Yeshu777
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2024 11:47
I don't think there is a built-in way in AppGameKit to make it windowed and frameless. The only setting I can find is to make it fullscreen without a frame OR windowed with a frame.

SetWindowSize( 720, 1280, 0 ) = Normal window with frame
SetWindowSize( 720, 1280, 1 ) = Full screen without frame
Yeshu777
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2024 19:38 Edited at: 31st Jan 2024 19:38
Hey Zappo,

Thanks for joining in!

I already use this method, just wondered if there was a hack on the Pi OS ( Raspian ) to remove the frames, or set them to 0 width etc.

I just wanted to see if this had any effect on the frame rate we are experimenting with on the other threads, to make it windowed, but the full size of the desktop

Yeshu777
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2024 21:12 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2024 21:14
The window frame issue... I have suffered it.
I am used to do it on Windows and Mac, but not for Linux yet, so a quick search online gave me how to remove the "chrome" or "decorations" from a window. The logic is the same on all operating systems, more or less.
Surely you need to recompile the player if you want to use Tier 1. Or add something like the code below to your Tier 2 app.

I Just copied and pasted this:
Let's go to Mars
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2024 19:29 Edited at: 4th Feb 2024 20:55
I worked today on one of my apps, and I successfully removed Title bar and Border.
It was on Linux 64, but I guess the procedure is the same for windows since we use GLFW.
(EDIT: Upon checking the Tier2 Github repo, I think it is possible that Windows initializes the windows with the Windows SDK, not GLFW. Pending verification)

TIER 2:
- On Core.cpp in your app, in the main function, where the windows is created, look for the lines that set glfwWindowHint, just before creating the window. Then add

You can also change the title caption that will appears in the active apps if you are using the regular X interface. If you are using openbox probably the caption will not appear anywhere.
This creates a borderless window with no title bar. You can resize the window with the AppGameKit screen size parameters .

TIER 1:
For Tier1, I did the same modification to apps/interpreterLinux/Core.cpp with the difference that the title caption is set by the compiled bytecode, and on the regular Xwindow interface the app appears as GLFW-Application. I guess it is just a matter of looking where to change it.
Let's go to Mars
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2024 22:18 Edited at: 4th Feb 2024 22:30
just chiming in here but if the window was larger than the screen (by the dimensions of the frame & title bar which could be left in tact) and positioned properly, you could achieve the "fake full screen" notion? the catch would be to retrieve the dimensions of the frame, etc, and i don't know of a way to achieve that natively/directly.

one positive side effect of faking FS is that FS tends to suffer performance hits so this could alleviate?

i have no knowledge of RPi but as there are obviously-interested and active parties, consider looking into creating DLLs for RPi or the equivalent that could expose system metrics, etc, similar to what MadBit has done with FileExplore, etc. where you could include said DLLs without having to compile AGK/Players to add new functionality?

/2ยข
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2024 21:25 Edited at: 5th Feb 2024 21:27
Virtual Nomad, yes, it is a performance issue, due to the raspberry pi being a lower performance device as compared to bigger systems, like windows, mac or linux desktop computers or laptops.

Also, if we want to have a game machine or kiosk to be unattended, there are many considerations to take into account for the machine to start automatically and work without mouse, keyboard and only interact with devices like simple select buttons and credit card readers, for example.

About the windows metrics you mentioned, of course Linux or the Raspberry Pi OS have many utilities to identify the window and retrieve its dimensions, as well as hiding, showing, closing, and all the usual stuff.
Let's go to Mars

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 13:44:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 13:44:13