Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [Linux] How do I install the vscode extension?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I install the vscode extension? I'm using the steam version of AppGameKitStudio on Manjaro Linux.
Coopertronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, is there a way to get long lines to wrap in the original IDE?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2024 03:54 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2024 03:55
Quote: "How do I install the vscode extension?"

hopefully the attachment @ this post helps; i installed on WIN (only) for that guide. it's all that i'm familiar with.

Quote: "Also, is there a way to get long lines to wrap in the original IDE?"

there is no line wrap or concantenation in Studio.
Coopertronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Your answer partially worked for me.

I looked into the install folder of AppGameKit Studio on Linux Steam, but there was no VScode folder. I went to the Windows install on Steam and it was there. I copied it over to the Linux install folder and installed it into VScode. It's all installed, but I have a problem.

When I use the buttons at the top to run or broadcast, ect; I get an error: "Could not find AppGameKit Studio install folder, please set the path in the extension settings."

I know what the path should be, but I don't know how to change the path setting.
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2024 05:19
I just looked through the source code that was uploaded to the repo it looks like the extension may only be available under windows unless we can set the exact executable. These are the hard coded paths in the extension.ts file

which would basically be windows executables. So maybe someone can mess with the vscode extension source and it would work. I never have any luck compiling any code from thegamecreators repos.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2024 06:09 Edited at: 6th Mar 2024 06:10
@coopertronic,

i'd tried to solicit additional advice on discord which amounted to "it's not available on linux".

and, i found nothing specific about linux availability on the forums (using a google site search; i did find that it wasn't available on mac, tho)  and had assumed it was available to all until that point.

meanwhile, i added a "'linux" tag to the thread title to dial in the topic and hope you find a favorable solution.
Coopertronic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Dark Raven and Virtual Nomad.

With this info I should be able to make a work around. I think it's just a case of pointing to the Linux binaries. AppGameKit Studio runs native on Linux So it's just dumped the entire app into the steam library folder, so there is no set path that can programmed for 'Just installing it anywhere'.

I'm hopeful I can make it work by putting the whole relative paths in the export variables for the location it's installed.

I'll keep you all posted and if it works I will post a little guide.
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2024 06:24
Unfortunately there is one file that would need to be converted to a linux project and compiled under linux and that is the languageserver file. Unfortunately since the release is only for window the source code is a Visual studio project and not sure how complex it would be to convert and compile under linux. That's probably the most important as that is a c++ code while the rest of the source is typescript.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:36:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:36:39