Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AGKRepo 2024

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2024 11:59 Edited at: 7th Mar 2024 12:04
I've been trying the new AGKRepo for the last fews days and I have finally managed to complete the build process and have a shiny new version of Studio! I have even added a new menu command to go to the online commands web page. Now to make even more changes to the IDE!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2024 13:44
Zaxxan,
Awesome, will this solve my problem for needing iOS SDK 17+?
Also, does this mean I will have to maintain my own versions from here on forward?

So many question and looking for answers.
Thanks for all the help you can offer.

James
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2024 13:53 Edited at: 8th Mar 2024 04:47
It's quite an involved process and only for the Windows version at the moment. No you won't have to maintain your own versions, I would wait for TGC to release an update for iOS.

The repo is there so the community can actively participate in the future of AppGameKit Studio. I've really enjoyed working through the build process and solving the issues that I have encountered (with TGC's support).

My main aim is to improve the editor so that it has some of the features of Classic, F1 online help, customisation of the GUI colours etc. I've already made some progress with these changes
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2024 12:26 Edited at: 8th Mar 2024 18:04
I've had a go at updating the target API to 34 today. Exported OK and uploaded to play console OK, now in review but looks promising.

Google have approved the release so great to be targeting API 34 well before the August dead line.

Attachments

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Zaxxan wrote: "I've been trying the new AGKRepo for the last fews days and I have finally managed to complete the build process and have a shiny new version of Studio! I have even added a new menu command to go to the online commands web page. Now to make even more changes to the IDE!"

Are the instructions on the repository complete to build Studio or did you had to do some guessing and work around things?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2024 21:26 Edited at: 8th Mar 2024 21:34
The repo is still under construction so the instructions are incomplete, there are files missing and some files were there but invalid. The build process also failed at quite a few steps due to incorrect paths etc. I've just worked through it step by step to get a complete build. I updated the code to target API 34 just to see how it is achieved. I've been passing on my findings to Lee.

Everything seems to be working so far.

The main stumbling block for me was that according to the instructions you have to use Android Studio Chipmunk and Gradle 8.0 but the projects wouldn't compile due to Chipmunk only supporting upto Gradle 7.3.3. I tried newer versions of Studio that supported Gradel 8.0 but the apps then kept crashing. I did a lot of reading on this and in the end I kept the target at 34 but rolled back the Gradle version to 7.2.1. Everything then compiled and Google accepted my app as targeting API34.

I don't fully understand the implications of going back to Gradle 7.2.1 but everything seems to be working ok.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2024 18:38 Edited at: 12th Mar 2024 19:03
Lee has made the required changes to the Repo for the Windows version of AppGameKit Studio and provided you follow the readme included in the Repo it should successfully build. I would advise to install Github Desktop and Clone the repository and then select LFS when prompted otherwise the large files will not be downloaded.

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKRepo

If anyone has any issues let me know as I may be able to help.

Lee has asked if there are any Mac or Linux users who are willing to help test the Repo, if so it's probably best to email him. (Mac is being added now, Linux later on)
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2024 19:39 Edited at: 12th Mar 2024 19:40
This is great progress, thank you. I will dig more into this when I have the opportunity, but what I'm not still quite clear on including after checking the repository and the newsletter...

Does this new repository include the totality of AppGameKit (including Tier 1)? The biggest stumbling block for patching and updating AppGameKit from the original repository is that it only made Tier 2 components accessible for modification. So any changes made couldn't really be worked back into AppGameKit BASIC without TGC's intervention, thus really defeating the simplicity and convenience. If we can now update Tier 2 and compile the AppGameKit Interpreter / BASIC that is awesome.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2024 20:22 Edited at: 12th Mar 2024 20:33
The repository includes tier 1. To have access to the source code like this is amazing. I have just exported an app using the latest android API 35 RC1 so I feel that the worry about complying with google store rules has been taken away. Lee has been really helpful and obviously wants the Repo to work and encourage contributions.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2024 15:10
Has anyone else tried the Repo? If anyone has although it's looking doubtful by the so few posts

Has anyone had any problems with Gradle 8.0 in Android Studio Chipmunk? Or the AGKplayer crashing when built using Gradle 8?

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@zaxxan: I have not tried it but plan to do so in the next 1-2 weeks. I also have a m2 Mac. After I was successful with Windows, I will give it a try on MacOS. Would love to continue using it with my language.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
And thanks for the details and help to get the docs in order.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2024 07:45 Edited at: 16th Mar 2024 08:42
No problem at all, the more people that get involved in the repo the better the chance of it being successful.

I now have a Windows version that Targets API 34 using Gradle 8.1.1, everything seems to be working now.

Let me know how you go on, the issues I encountered with the windows repo were, missing folder structures, not downloading the large images, ENV variables, missing files, incorrect paths etc. so the Mac version may have similar issues.

Also, the recommended Android Studio Chipmunk version is not compatible with Gradle 8.0 which is what the repo uses. I ended up using the latest version, Android Studio Iguana.

One other thing I have just remembered is that the AGKBuild.sln looks for a keystore file which was created using an alias of 'tgc' so when you create the keystore file call it keystore.keystore with an alias of 'tgc' and your own password or alternatively edit the AGKBuild.sln and change the 'tgc' to your own alias. I used Android Studio to create the keystore file.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Zaxxan: Which Platforms and extra stuff did you install for Visual Studio 2022?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2024 21:23 Edited at: 18th Mar 2024 10:58
Hi Mike, I just selected C++ and used the default settings.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2024 17:35
Which specific workload is needed on visual studio community installation? Is it the "desktop development with c++" or do you have to choose the mobile one that details windows within the description? Bit confusing as the build would be for windows desktop...but then used to deploy to mobile. The mobile option details android sdk setup within(no version listed) but then Lee's instructions imply installing the android sdk 33.03 afterwards....or do we install both? I only want the minimum of anything, storage space isn't great plus I am dl'ing via a mobile device so don't particularly want to wait forever.

Also do we select the option to remove out of support components?
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2024 19:28 Edited at: 18th Mar 2024 19:38
Hi James,

Just choose the Desktop Development with C++ (the mobile side is catered for via Android Studio). When installing Visual Studio I didn't change any of the options.

You select the SDK 33.0.3 via the SDK manager (SDK Tools) in Android Studio. I didn't remove any out of date components.

Attachments

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2024 21:29 Edited at: 29th Mar 2024 21:31
I've opened a new branch called 'Zaxxan' on the Repo which targets API 34 (Gradle 8.2.2). If anyone wants to give it a try I have added a few additional notes to the readme. All you need to do is download it using GitHub Desktop with LFS enabled, copy the external, builds and Sharing folders into the AGK-Builds folder and copy your keystore.keystore file into the signing folder. When creating your key (use android studio) use the alias tgc

The HTML5 export currently does not work as the files are missing from the main branch. I have notified Lee about this.

If other users can confirm it works ok I will do a pull request.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2024 22:52
This is awesome work zaxxan. I don't have time right now but as soon as i do i'll give this a go. I wonder how you could monetize this?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
zaxxan wrote: "If other users can confirm it works ok I will do a pull request."

I thought the official repo is stil not open for contributions.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2024 06:26
I know it says that on the Repo but I have been in contact with Lee for several weeks ironing out issues with the build process and Lee agrees that it would be a good idea to target the latest API. Obviously if I do a pull request he doesn't have to accept it!

He is still looking for someone to test the Mac build process I believe.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2024 06:33 Edited at: 1st Apr 2024 06:48
@blink0k I don't think you could monetize it as it would be against the licence. TGC still own the copyright.

I'm working on the Repo for a few reasons:

1. To understand how AppGameKit is put together with a view to fix bugs and add new features in the future.

2. Modify the IDE so that it can do the things I miss in Classic

3. To help keep AppGameKit as up-to-date as possible.

There seems to be complications with supporting multiple platforms though for example the HTML5 files appear to be generated during the Linux build and then copied into a shared folder and then used by the Windows build (at least that's what I think happens) as a Windows user I am unable to generate these files, so as a temporary solution I have copied these files from the current retail version.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2024 09:09
Will they release a binary for this as there seems to be a lot to take on board. Something ready made would be helpful.
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
does the new 2024 version support utf8 in ide?
All different language is being shown as "???"
going back to agk2 does not have this issue?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2024 23:05 Edited at: 18th Apr 2024 23:07
@Pfaber1, the binary is basically the retail version which was updated a few days ago.

If you follow the instructions in the Repro readme it is now a fairly straightforward process and is quite satisfying when you complete it.

Give it a try, I can always talk you through it if you get stuck
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2024 08:47
I see and I will have a try later , it is something I want to know how to do anyway.
Nice to think I'll be able to still use AppGameKit Studio for a long time yet. It is a shame they are not still working on it but I guess it is a finished product.
I do look at alternatives to see what is happening but as of yet AppGameKit Studio is the best option for me .
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2024 16:52 Edited at: 20th Apr 2024 16:57
Whilst looking at the IDE code I found that there was half finished code for a Hue based system to adjust the GUI colours. Seeing as I dislike the random seed generator so much I decided to complete the code and get it working. It's way better than the random seed generator and is definitely a better solution in my opinion.

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2024 17:19
nice, zaxxan. and i agree it's an improvement over the random generator.

so, am i correct that any work we do like this gets submitted and lee will decide whether or not to add it for the rest of us to enjoy as an official update?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2024 18:46 Edited at: 20th Apr 2024 18:59
Yes, that's correct.

I have already submitted a branch which fixed a few things in the editor. Probably the most important fix was that the minimum API setting in the android export didn't work correctly, if you set a minimum API which was over 29 then it defaulted to 16. This is now fixed. Also, added a link to the AppGameKit Studio Documentation page to the help menu. These fixes have now been merged to the main branch. The changes to target API 34 is also part of the main branch now.

I'm fixing things in the editor that I don't like too much.

Any changes I make that I think will be an improvement for everyone will be submitted at some point.
agkcoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2024 20:54 Edited at: 20th Apr 2024 23:45
Awesome work Zax!
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2024 09:13 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2024 13:27
I've made the updated IDE.exe available on my AGKRepo fork if anyone wants to give it a try, feedback welcome.

When downloading Windows Defender flags that the file is infected with a virus, it does this with the main repo ide.exe and the ide from the update from last August and previous updates. I'm assuming it's a false positive but use at your own risk!

Update: Lee has confirmed that the virus is a false positive.

https://github.com/Zaxxan/AGKRepoFork/blob/main/AGK/AgkIde/Final/Ide.exe

Note: you have to backup and then delete your agkide.pref located in your user folder i.e. C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\AGKApps\TheGameCreators\Ide before using

Attachments

MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2024 10:49
Can we download the new versions inside the tgc account-products as final binary? I do not own the steam version, got it directly from tgc.
installing all the GitHub stuff is a lot of hassle for me and perhaps the others.
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2024 12:10
I thought that TGC provided steam keys for people who purchased the TGC version. Have a look on your TGC account to see if there is a product key available.
MucMac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2024 14:56
Dawn, you are right ;- I never looked there.. installing right now!
--
Mac
Lead Programmer
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2024 16:58
The Hue Style changes I have made to the IDE have now been merged into the main repo. So hopefully should be in the next update whenever that is. Lee has said there will be 4 updates a year.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:49:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:49:09