Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2D Sidescroller Tips

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 05:44
I could really use some tips for speedy rendering techniques of 2D sidescroller games. I am very experienced in QBasic but I've only had Darkbasic Pro for 2 days now. I am VERY impressed with the ease and power of DBP, after fiddling with commands and playing around for a bit. For a first game, I would like to do a simple 2D sidescroller. I see there are a variety of methods for displaying images to the screen (IMAGE, BITMAP, and SPRITE functions), but I have no idea which is faster or better in what situation. In particular, I've been trying to scroll a relatively large image across the screen without and jitters. I have an example which I quickly threw together, and haven't found any faster method yet. It causes a scrolling effect of a single, fullscreen image, but creates annoying jitters. Even in lower screen resolutions and smaller image sizes i experience the same problem. Any tricks or secrets here? Any help in optimizing a 2D game in DBPro would be appreciated. And i like to use the "FASTSYNC" command as supposed to "SYNC". I've seen drastic performance differences in 3D rendering. Is there a good and a bad side to fastsync? Thx

...the prophecy is true afterall... Vortex2000 has returned~
thaduke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 05:55
the example code i was talking about in my post can be found if u click the SOURCE button underneath my post. thanks

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I alway reckon it's fastest to move the camera for the scrolling. That way all of your ships, and background objects are scrolled automatically in one simple command.

Pincho.
thaduke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 19:42
wow. so u have control over the camera when working with 2d functions too? Thats great. I'll try that.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Not 2D bitmaps, but 2D games are commonly made in 3D.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 20:56:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 20:56:56