Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Enxtranjero [Alienware entry - DOWNLOAD]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 07:35 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 15:20
EXTRANJERO

Here is my very rushed last minute entry to the Alienware competition. I've just got it as finished as it is going to get before the deadline.

The game is an action adventure.

The story being told is an alien invasion on a colony planet. You must play the part of a one man army super hero defending the world.

The game plays a bit like an FPS, a sort of Delta Force: Land Warrior crossed with Hunter

I started it a week ago, and with new year and a few days spent karting I have not managed to polish it off as much as I would like, I think it will fair well in the final results, but the winners slot is still open for you guys.

You can download the game here:

http://www.bansheestudios.com/Extranjero.htm

The file is different to the one submitted to the competition as it is an installer with uninstall option and is just over 8mb to download.

Recomended Specification: 2 Ghz + Processor; Ge Force 4 or above.
Minimum Specification: Pentium III Processor; Ge Force 2; DirectX 9.0b.

Note that I have not yet had a chance to update the website's navigation so this is the only place with a link to the Extranjero page.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 11:23 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 11:25
Downloading now.....
EDIT ____________________________

Not working

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 13:22 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 13:23
Perhaps just a small clue Chris? Is there an error message or was the archive corrupt? I just tested the download link, installed it and ran fine. (Although I was ruthlessly killed playing it).

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 13:25
Archive was corrupt, but don't worry, it's probably my internet. I think it cut out half way through.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 15:21
I have now uploaded the installer version which is 2mb smaller to download. Link above updated.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 15:33
Quote: "...it's probably my internet"

Ah, so you're the owner! I'd like to buy a small bag of internet please, just to try.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 15:44
I got it, ran in, music played and it went to the 'main menu' looking screen with instructions (In the X-Filesish font)... er, is something supposed to happen? Waited five minutes and then pressed all my mouse keys, space, enter, and finally escape; it quit instantly as if it had been waiting for that...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 16:07
I better it was fun though.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:27
Ran it, carmina burana music played and the whole screen flickered / scrolled / flashed bit like an untuned TV.

Had to press escape

Spec: althlon 2800+, win xp pro sp 1, geforce 4 ti4800, 1 gig ram

"Nowadays more and more of our imports are coming from abroad" - George Bush

Formerly David89.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 19:28 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 19:32
Very good landscapes the game looks great but i wasn't really taken with the game play, maybe i found a bug or something but i spent 10mins running north/northeast after i'd killed the aliens near the shuttle which took off, i was supposed to be going to my base i think but it never seemed to arrive i did meet a whole group of aliens on the way there though, then more running north and in the end i gave up
edit:
seems i'm the only one to get it working... my specs:
pentium 4 1.6ghz
geforce 2 ti
256mb ram
direct x 9.0b

edit2: also, what are the coloured dots+squares in the left hand corner? i figured it was probably a radar but didn't know which one was me

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 01:13
The game runs at 640,480,16 resolution to save on graphics ram, it is quite intensive in that department, but some card may not support it. I wrote it with the specification of the Alienware competition test PC in mind. I'm sorry if you downloaded the game and it doesn't run.

I have put some specifications on the download page for minimum and recommended, these are estimations. It runs on my 2Ghz, 512mb, GeForce 2 OK - although the framerates can be quite low.

Red Eye, try taking the anti-grav personell carrier that has been placed in your line of sight from the starting location . The missions do involve some travelling, it is not an all action game. The effort you put into avoiding collisions with trees and saving fuel by driving at lower revs may be what determines whether you live or die later, in that respect it is more like Hunter than it is Delta Force or Quake.

If you opt to run instead you will need to find another anti-grav personell carrier later on as a few of the missions are time dependant, but there are plenty around the map. On the getting to the headquarters mission there is no chase or race sequence, so you could run and admire the views - but it would probably get a bit samey by the time you got there

The gameplay is not all combat and is not meant to be. In all you'll never be travelling for more than a few minutes at a time.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe it's against the rules of the compo to have an instalation package.

Rule 6 "Your game must execute immediately. Do not use an "installer" package in any way shape or form."
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 03:04
Zomb,
Quote: "I believe it's against the rules of the compo to have an instalation package. "

To which I reffer you too
Quote: "The file is different to the one submitted to the competition as it is an installer "

Tran,
Quote: "But it is kinda slow on a Pentium III 499Mhz, 256MB RAM, 16MB Voodoo3 Graphics Card"

Yes i'm afraid that is a bit below the recommended spec, infact it is a bit below the required spec - but you can be proud of you lil' system for getting it to run at all - it seems a few of the super computers above couldn't !

For my next trick, i'm going to write a game that needs a 1gb Graphics Card with on board Cray Mainframe...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 03:23
I can't fathom why it just didn't load on mine. Am I missing something terribly obvious? What are you supposed to be press at the title screen? In case you're supposed to, I saw no cursor.

Anyways, I'm on a 1ghz / 384mb RAM / ATI Radeon 9500 Pro so it should run, at least . I noticed the low resolution... really, DBP can normally handle tens of thousands of textured polys on my machine without flinching, and at 640x480x16 it really shouldn't break a sweat. Am I to expect 10 minute load times?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 03:51 Edited at: 6th Jan 2004 03:52
The game has already loaded when that screen appears... here is the code it is running at that point...

It is most likely failing after that point in other words, after you press a key, but before replacing the contents of the screen... at which point you are in the main loop and at the mercy of anything I might have typed [wrongly]...

Perhaps I could produce an alternative .exe that uses Windows Full Screen mode instead ?

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 07:12 Edited at: 6th Jan 2004 07:13
Quote: "To which I reffer you too

Quote: "The file is different to the one submitted to the competition as it is an installer ""

Aah. I thought that might be the case. That's what I get for not reading the fine print...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:47
Quote: "The game runs at 640,480,16 resolution to save on graphics ram, it is quite intensive in that department, but some card may not support it. I wrote it with the specification of the Alienware competition test PC in mind. I'm sorry if you downloaded the game and it doesn't run."

Ah, my graphics card doesn't support 640x480 (must be too "old" for it, though I would have expected a gefrce 4 to support it. probably drivers).

I was wondering, if my card doesn't support 640x480 then will the card in the judging PC?

Formerly David89.
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:50
Allmost all cards support 640x480, so I think that judging PC will also support it

Quote: "
Amd 2500+ | 1024mb pc2700 | A7N8X-X | Geforce4 ti 4200 128mb
"
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 21:26
Quote: "Allmost all cards support 640x480, so I think that judging PC will also support it"

lol well mine's a freak then Maybe it's because it's connected to the monitor by DVI, when I set it to 800x600 it looked mroe like 640x480.

Formerly David89.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 21:43
Andy:the game good fun, but you get a lot of guns the do`t have ammo and you have to re-start the hole program when you died. but that it for thing that bug me.

David T:most of the games are runing at 640x480 so there be a lot of them not work. but i do not think so

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 01:30
You only get ammo for 1 gun to start with Dr O, but you can find more scattered around the landscape and also in the armoury mission.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 19:37
Quote: "David T:most of the games are runing at 640x480 so there be a lot of them not work. but i do not think so "

I don't know how many run in exclusive at specifically 640x480x16. The default DB setting is expanded windowmode, not exclusive.

I'll try setting it now

Formerly David89.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 21:18
Andy- Thanks for explaining. Still not sure why it's crashing, and using windowed mode never failed me before. I'll be doing a driver flush soon so maybe that'll get it working.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 21:21
my entry was in 1024x768 fsex mode, it worked on my comp so i'm assuming its gonna work ont he aw comp does ake the graphics look much crisper as opposed tot the usual 640x480 res

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 02:07
I am as I post this uploading an alternative .exe for Extranjero that runs in Full Screen Windowed mode, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.bansheestudios.com/FSWmode-Extranjero.zip

If you are having any trouble at all getting the game to run this may solve the problem. Note that the shortcut on the start menu will run the original version unless you rename the new .exe to "alienware.exe" or make your own shortcut.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 22:28
Works now.

Wow - the way it is scripted is great. Similar to something I had one dabbled with - large terrains, vehicles etc.

Formerly David89.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 16:55

Extranjero has been awarded top marks at Nonags, one of the webs leading freeware listing sites. This is the third time we have won this prestigious award that remains the rating we value higher than all others!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 20:39

Now also holder of the 5 shields award from Brothersoft .

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2004 21:28
Well Andy, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this game, but I really found it hard to enjoy playing it. I enjoyed playing games like Delta Force, so I can see what you are trying to do - but it just doesn't seem to come out that way.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 17:38:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 17:38:13