Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Vergaz : the 13th Lost Soul (Alienware Entry) Download

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 19:17 Edited at: 13th Jan 2004 00:27
Vergaz : the 13th Lost Soul

http://www.cclub.metu.edu.tr/~yigit/Vergaz_v3.rar

This is the new link click to download.

Hope you like it..

- Yasak Oyun Design Team
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 21:01
Pretty good. Got to level 4 on first go. The camera pans and rotations are really nice and smooth and the colour fades as you start and end are a good idea.

Only a couple of annoyances. When you start game it shows you page of instructions and keys but they are only on screen for about 1 second. Maybe better to have this as a help screen off main menu.

The other problem is that you can easily wander off the edge of the matrix into no-mans land.

What's with the Amazon women! A bit out of place if you ask me.

Boo!
Jim Beam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 13:18 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 18:47

only 1 entry, strange enough. May be we didn't announced our game much? Now I see why the advertisement is important. And why do big distributors pays %5-10 to developers.
Next time we must make more advertisement.

thanx for the comment @spooky

Why is this meaningless existence ,if one day will disappear all existent?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 10:16
Always post a screenshot with the download, countless users will open this post and go right back out again - especially those who don't have broadband and need to be sensible about what they download and when.

Post some screenshots and I'm sure more people will try your game.

Good luck with the compo.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 11:50
I was excited by the first level, like this could have a good story.. except I didn't know what I was doing because the instructions page flew away too fast... naturally I'm too lazy to re-run it and read what I missed.. but you fix it first

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (WORKS NOW)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
Pathetic Oblivion
Years of Service
User Offline
So ok then. I've added some screenshot and changed the game so that if you press ESC key as you play the game you can see the instruction screen.
Have fun.

- Yasak Oyun Design Team
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 01:34
I have played Vergaz, and I really liked it. I have gotten up to level 4 already.

You have created some really nice monsters. I was happy when I got my first spell, so I could finally kill those Hivebrains in level 2! The hounds are effective. The Amazon women are cool! The skeletons were wicked! The Rollerbugs were sweet!

This game makes very good use of lighting. The scenes get brighter and darker to fade in and fade out.

The music is superb. It builds up in scenes where it needs it, and when your character dies, the music changes appropriately. The sound effects are all very well placed and used.

This game has several things that the top winners of the contest do not:

* Playability - it doesn't get old after 10 minutes of play.
* A plot. There is actually something to do in this game, and a story to follow.
* Different levels that actually look different.
* Different and new enemies on higher levels.
* An awesome "Return to level by entering the code" feature (very nice!)

When I read the review that your game got by the judges for the contest, it appears to me that they never even made it past level 1. I admit, I didn't pass level 1 either until I played it a few times. Once I learned that I couldn't shoot in level 1, but that I had to get one item and then the second in order to beat the level, I was pleased to pass on to level 2 to start shooting the bad guys.

In the Showcase of your game on the DarkBasic website, they weren't even sure what the plot was. Once you pass level 1, it is all explained quite nicely. I think if the judges would have spent more time with your game and figured it out, they would have been very surprised! The higher you get in the game, the bigger the levels are. I was amazed to find little hidden paths through some mountains that let me short cut to other areas of the level.

I really liked the ghosting effect of the lost souls, and above all else, I thought your skies were breathtaking!

This has everything that a great DarkBasic game should have, and I don't see why it didn't do better in the competition.
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have WinRAR...
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 04:50
You don't need WinRar if you download it from where this game is listed in the Alienware contest results page - they offer it as a ZIP file:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=239
Pathetic Oblivion
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the review TobyQuan. I have to admit I was not very pleased about the review by the judges, too. I think this should have been a more serious competition but it is odd to talk about it after it is gone.

- Yasak Oyun Design Team
Jim Beam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 01:29
me(Sinan) and Pathetic Oblivion(Yigit) worked much on this project.We didn't suppose to be 1st or may be not in 10 but at least we can hope that judges read in game texts. I can understand that someone can dislike a game without a reason but if you say something can effect to playing other games.its unfair.Actually I saw very very far away from the game like games.But their reviews were not like our review. I can say that they played other games and "looked" our game. thats all. No problem it was our first game. But not the last one (may be last with DB/DBP ) .

End Of Transmission

Why is this meaningless existence ,if one day will disappear all existent?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 08:44:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 08:44:30