Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DBpro tutorial book

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 20:31
I have been thinking of putting together a small team who could put a DBpro tutorial book together which would go into print. I am interested in hearing from anyone who thinks that could make a contribution to a project like this.

I haven't given this a great deal of thought yet but I would like to cover starter and intermediate subjects with a few projects the readers could use as templates which they could expand on and incorporate into projects of their own. A FPS, a side scroller, a puzzle game, an elite style space sim would all be good projects.

I would like to touch upon the basics of modeling, skinning, level design and good programming practices. Other areas which need to be touched upon would be using BSP within DBpro.

I know this project would be a massive undertaking but if put together correctly it could be of considerable benefit to the whole community (and obviously any profits would be divided among the contributors).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

P4 2.53 Ghz-60 Gig HD-GeForce2Ti 64MB-256 DDR
Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 16:24
I have had some very experienced users come forward and offer help. Thankyou all.

I know need to know what subjects everyone would like to see covered. I have already had a request for AI pathfinding which I think is a good example of an important subject.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 22:07
Maybe you should do a section on making a simple level editor as well.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 22:14
Good suggestion. That would make a very good project.

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
If you were going to undertake or with a group together you would all undertake this project, I would definatly back it with respect to buying the said finished Book, IF it really was well covered in all areas including the above mentioned idea's like modelling and skinning and what programms are out there at what cost??, I would even suggest that I would be interested in buying UP TO 4/5 books on this topic that covered all areas, but ONLY IF split into comprehensive topics and warrented an extra book for it's coverage, For Example;

Programming in DB/DBP For Begginers and intermediates (cover from basics to quite hard to master things like mesh deformation etc..) and a Follow up Book for Intermediates to Experts (Covering Mem Blocks, Multi Player and Internet Usage (FTP etc..) maybe even split the whole command set into easy/inter and exp solo commands and work it on that basis as I suppose some whole sets of commands are clearly easy to get going on and hard to grip at other points, (Possibly 2 seperate books to save confusion amongst learners in the language and inherant problems with conversions from DB to DBP so a book for DB and 1 for DBP)

These Books SHOULD cover every single function and their uses alone or in groups, if grouped what are they best grouped with??..., add to this some basic game programmes to run through at the end of each chapter (With media included on a disk or not needing media) that put into practice as much of the chapter just covered as possible(not just FPS PLEASE...), this installes it into our memory more efficiently rather than needing to re-read it loads of times to get a grasp of what you have just read...

Then Progress to Modeling Objects and Skinning, Texturing, what programs are out there to use? and out of these what are good bad and why they are good or bad are they good at one thing but not at others what are these things.., (not a " I dislike this it's crap".. and no reason, why is milk shape better than anim8or or why is 3dsMax better than Blah Blah. what does it do that is so superior and how does this help the game??) The Same can be covered with Types of models DB/DBP can handle why are some better than others.. what types do what and why do they do it better.. etc.., this goes for all objects not just Player objects, I am sure a whole book can be made on objects creation (player, static and level etc..), Modelling Within DB/DBP and Other Modelling programs, Texturing In DB/DBP and Other Texturing programs and Animation Within DB and Other Animation Programs...

Next Sound can be covered, again every aspect of sound within DB, the what can be used, what is the best or better for certain functions and why??, appproach would be appreciated.. this all MUST BE readable by newbies and Experts alike, If I am a Newbie/Intermediate at DB I should be able to read most if not all the Expert Book and still undestand it, If I was a Newbie I would expect to beable to read the beginer/intermediate book with no problems and the other attaching/affiliate tittles relateing to models or sound at least in a semi understanding way..

Definatly what ever you do, explain it well.. as if the person reading knows nothing, we can all digest it then..

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 11:04
At the moment I am looking at what should be added to the first edition and you make some very good points.

Another thread has started and it seems that a book is on the verge of release which is aimed at DB/DBpro (which is great news for all). I think I will await it's release and then I can look at areas it omits before any decisions are made.

Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 12:47
I'm sure I've seen a DB book in proiduction somewhere :s

er....

System: Athlon TBird 800Mhz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2MX440, DX8.1
Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 13:51
I know ...that is why I will await it's release to see what areas it omits to cover.

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
yes I agree this is worth while as you want a new book if needed to cover what ever this book on the horizon brings to the community, but don't be affraid to cover things well, it is rarely found that a book has covered everything unless it has got several people helping on it and they have strictly kept to covering everything not just what they see fit... what is easy to you or I may be very hard to grasp to another person and Vis-Vera.

Also if you wait for this book you may see that another book is in production or publishing real soon too then another and another, hey presto you have missed the boat...

Maybe someone can dig up some info on the content or expected audience of this book that is about to be published???, then you can at least start or continue planning your own and keeping this well needed concept alive, I still personnally would buy a set of books covering what we have outlined above at a comprehencive level, kind of a DB/DBP set of bibles covering each area comprehencively. I bet that is most certainly not near publishing right now!!

Anyway whatever is decided Good Luck!!

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
"yes I agree this is worth while as you want a new book if needed, to cover what ever this book on the horizon brings to the community"

sorry, no edit yet.. this should read:~

"yes I agree this is worth while as you want a new book, if needed, to cover what ever this book on the horizon doesn't bring to the community"

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592000096/qid=1037577864/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-0928209-7009625?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

There's the link to the book, it is released on 15.01.03 there are no real details other than it is a complete begginers book and you will have programmed 2d and 3d games by the end of the book if you follow it through.. no table of contents here or on the publishers web site.. in fairness the guy/s seem to be of a professional nature, but how well documented there book is is unknown, still I beleive there is room for more than one book on DB/DBP especially seperatly as in DB or DBP, due to their small known items of incompatability at present and as this book states is only for begginers, room for intermidiate or expert usage/coverage is still available...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 06:37:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 06:37:21