Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Hit & Run v.1.0 - [DOWNLOAD]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 20:56 Edited at: 15th Jan 2004 20:58
Hey there everyone,

I finished 2 player human and 1 player vs. CPU for my game, Hit & Run. I would recommend reading the instructions before playing.

Truthfully, I've been having a BLAST testing this game. The screenshots don't do it justice. The game (in my opinion) is really fun, and the friends that I've shown it to and played against have had a great time helping me find bugs.

It's really my first finished game, so please be gentle

Here are some screenies:

And for information, here's a copy of the readme text file that's included in the game:

------------------------------------

HIT & RUN v.1.0

Created By: Jake Jensen

Copyright (c) 2004, Automaton Games

http://www.automatongames.com/hitnrun/

HOW TO PLAY
-----------

Controls:

Player 1 (Left): Up - W
Down - S

Player 2 (Right): Up - Up Arrow
Down - Down Arrow

There are three levels of AI difficulty if you choose to play in 1 Player mode:
Normal, Hard, and Insane.

Object:

Player 1 begins on the left side of the screen and advances toward the right. Player 2
begins on the right side of the screen and advances toward the left. Both players advance
at the same rate and at a constant speed. Each player starts with 100 health.

Every level's screen has randomly placed blocks. If a player hits a block, it makes the
other player bump back. The first one to reach the other side of the screen wins that
level and bumps down the other player's health.

For example if Player 1 hits 5 blocks and Player 2 hits only 3 blocks, Player 2 will have
bumped back 2 more times than Player 1 (5 - 3). Player 1 will reach the end of the screen
before Player 2, and Player 2 will lose 20 health.

Every fourth level is a bonus round in which the Players hits as many white blocks as
he/she can. Each white block hit increases the Player's health by 5.

The first Player whose health hits 0 loses.

Strategies:

On the bonus rounds, if your health is at 100 and the other Player's health is lower, you can
still grab the white blocks. Your health will not go over 100 but it will leave the other
Player with less blocks to use to recuperate his/her health.

You can strategically run into the other Player's taxi, causing both Player's health to drop
by 10. If you have more health than the other Player, this can be used quite
advantageously

---------------------------------------

LEGAL INFO

Except where otherwise noted, all of the documentation and software included
in the Hit & Run v.1.0 package is copyrighted by Jake Jensen and Automaton Games

Copyright (C) 2004, Automaton Games. All rights reserved.

This software is provided "as-is," without any express or implied warranty.
In no event shall the author be held liable for any damages arising from the
use of this software.

----------------------------------

Download Game Link: http://www.automatongames.com/hitnrun/HitnRunSetup.exe

Please let me know if you have any problems or bug finds. Actually, please let me know even if you played the game and hate it! Just give it a few tries against the CPU--- it's fun!

Thanks!

- JeKu

http://www.automatongames.com/
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 21:42
I suppose it's ok for a first game. Congratulations on doing what most other people fail to do: Actually finish a project!

As to the game, played it twice, got bored, won't play it again.

In this day and age having the taxis jump whole grid squares at once is a bit naff to say the least. You could easily have the cars smoothly driving across the screen.

Did you draw that mountain background as it seems awfully familiar. Sure I've seen it before but can't put my finger on it.

Boo!
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 21:57
hi !
sympathetic like small game !!

The music is well and the ia functions well!
Good all things considered idea, thinks you of being able developed?

@+

Captain-Ouais !!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 23:32 Edited at: 15th Jan 2004 23:33
@spooky - Hey thanks for downloading! I originally made this game almost 10 years ago using ASCII characters in QBasic, so back then it was impossible *not* to have the cars jump each time in an invisible grid. I wanted the new Hit & Run for myself, to get the kind of nostalgic feeling one gets when playing an old familiar game.

I hope people appreciate that although it's old fashioned, it's still fun to play. I think if the taxis moved smoothly, the game would be easier and less old fashioned. I want it to have an old "Atari 2600" feel

And about the mountains, I created the scene back when I was in Art School around '98 or '99. It's supposed to be a peaceful scene amidst a rather chaotic event--- the ocean is running downhill, maybe because of some cataclysmic occurence, and the mountain is still sitting upright in the middle as if nothing happened

@captain - Thanks for downloading and for your kind words! Of course I will probably never make anything as cool as your latest game! The AI in Hit & Run was fairly easy to do, but I needed the experience. I'm studying A.I. right now in University and I have learned quite a bit for my future bigger projects

- JeKu

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 01:23 Edited at: 16th Jan 2004 01:23
If you guys are interested, I recently dug up my original Hit & Run game today--- after almost 10 years! I hard coded the path requirements in the code, and lost the source, that's why the game *needs* to be in c:vikinghit&run Here are some screenies for a joke:

The player's ASCII characters are messed. I have no idea why Player 1 is represented by a 3/4 symbol!

- Jeku

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 16:29:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 16:29:32