Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Un-named Military-Esque game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 09:08 Edited at: 24th Jan 2004 09:58
I'd like to announce a newcomer to this forum. As of right now un-named, no menu/interfaces have been built. But we feel that if these are built first then the game will either never finish, or lack immensensly(sp?) in quality.

Our team, (of three,modeler,graphics,programmer) is lightly called "Questionable Activities" and are currently working on what we hope to be a great game. It is school hosted and right now have the whole second half of every day to work on it. But we know that it's going to take longer than the 3 weeks alotted, we plan to at least take a year.

The game is built upon a 3D engine, but the game is played primarily in the top-down perpective. The time period is un-know as of right now, because we're basically focusing primarily on the engine, world creator and scenery models. The game will be a team based experience, with two sides, both with different units and abilities. Play modes will include Capture the Flag, King of Hill, Infiltration and the like. Think Soldat style, except top-down, and drivable units instead of infintry. The world creator is already looking excellent, and the engine is doing well as well. We haven't added any play elements yet, all focus is on physics and engine quality.

Here are some screen shots of what we have so far.

Looking over a river

Sitting on an island

Pulling up a point in the level editor

(The tree textures are not final)

Our teacher requires that all media within the game is 100% us, so everything you see was created by us.

We don't have a playable demo yet as there really isn't anything to do but drive around a world, basically we have an engine and world creator.

--------Can anyone think of a suitable name for this game?

P.S. If anyone would like fast webspace for their DarkBasic use, please contact me.

All comments are extremely welcome.

webmaster@frostyle.com

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD, 48x12X48 CD-RW, 16X DVD-ROM
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 13:31
sweet what editor did u use?
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 15:46
All media and programing is 100% ours- no outside sources used, as AluminumPork said. (I'm the 3d modeler for this game, in case your wondering why I refered to the game as "ours"). Anyway, I'll be sticking some concept sketches up in a bit to show you what direction we're thinking about heading at the moment, and to give you a bit more to crit.
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 18:13 Edited at: 21st Jan 2004 18:35
Ok, heres some of my concepts that I promised to post:

Basicaly, there will be two sides, both are as yet unnamed, one is big, slow and powefull and uses lots of mechs, the other is faster and weaker and uses lots of hover tanks and energy weapons. All the below concepts are from the first side:

First, we have the "tank" of the first side, the "Liberator" (sp? I can't spell, just struggle through it) mech:

Then the "Spider" apc, which I think is my most creative:

And the trooper, whose feet got cut off when the paper abruptly ended:

More to come, and I'll show off the models when I finish them and our texture artist has textured them.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 18:42
looks nice!
lol
Quote: "sh***, no paper"

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 19:55
hmm id say the only thing letting you down is the grass texture... its not bad, but if the models are the same quality as the images provided, then the grass texture will spoil the atmosphere... something to think about.

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 04:24
Those trees look kind of odd from the top down perspective, Maybe you should try tilting the camera a little to give a better perspective to the battle field, But other that that it looks great. I wish I could draw that good

Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 06:25 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2004 06:28
Remember that the tree textures are temporary- they'll look better when we get the final texture made. We probably won't be tilting the camera either, as we want a sort of arcadeish feel to the gameplay that the top down perspective helps provide. Perhaps we'll add the option to change angles, but thats going to be done after we have a fully working engine. Which, at the rate we're going, could be in a few weeks.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 17:39
Hey, I have a question. What color should the animated fish be. We've got some schools of fish that swim around in the water, but don't know what color would look right... any ideas?
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:02
orange

a
Jonanin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 03:32
Dark Blue!

I'm ten. So what! That's not an excuse so call me horable(cause i am)
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 14:33
The tree model is quite nice and the tank looks good. The landscape doesnt but thats a matter of learning and will come in time.

Quote: "what color would look right... any ideas?"

Colour is more important than most people realise in games, and by recognising this you have an ideal opportunity to get it right

Your game world is primarily green and secondarily blue and this covers most of the screen. Your fish should be red or pink. Salmon?

R G B

Visual Balance.

Andy

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 15:29
Why not texture them with a diverse blen of orange, white and red. Dont forget that doing this will make the fish look purple or brown as its showing through blue water.

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 19:45
Hey, thanks a lot for the comments. Ya, we have a new, hopefully much better grass texture. By next week we should have some different land textures (like sand for underwater, and some textures for the side of the water (i.e beach transform to grass). This should drastically improve the look. We also completed a bunker object and have the first futuristic model completed, it only needs texture. Since this game will be placed in the future (i.e hover tanks, plasma lasers) then we were thinking of keeping some of our old tank models in there and leave them around the map as remenants. Maybe change the texture to make them look old, or maybe pop the turret of them and lay it next to them. What do you think of that?

Since we're out of school right now basically none of the graphics work will get done, but I'm gonna go grab the source from school so I can work on it over break (I've got old source on my comp right now). I should have some new screens up then with the updated ground texture.

Again thanks for the interest, we hope to make this a great one.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 00:55
nice drawings of stuff, you guys good at modelling? yeah the grass texture could do with some sharpening, maybe upping its res. I usually have it set so like every five pixels is a new part of the texture on my matrices anyway no name idea yet, but keep up the work and im sure it will do well.

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2004 09:54
Thanks for the comments. I didn't get a chance to head to school today . So the new screenies (bunkers,better grass) will have to wait. Yeah, me personally, I really suck at modeling, but my friend Faxmaster is crazy good. He did up the tank model you saw in the screen shots above. Then my friend Aric (not on the forums) is a crazy good artist and did the tank texture. Again, thanks for the interest. Say, how is Syndicate goin? I haven't seen much about it lately.

Thanks

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD, 48x12X48 CD-RW, 16X DVD-ROM
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 06:39 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 06:51
Well, this weekend I had way too much time on my hands. So i wrote a story. This may or may not end up being the story for the game, as no one else on the team has even seen it yet, but tell me what you think anyway. And yes, i know its a multiplayer game and that the story isn't all that important, but i'd like a nice, detailed backstory anyway. Not that this is a nice long, detailed backstory as I wrote in about 20 mins. At the most. So, heres the long outline dealy:

The not so original story:

Sides:

Samson Corp.___________________________________
PROS:
-Well armored
-Spawn faster then Ayme
-Vehicles are cheaper then Ayme's.
CONS:
-Slow
-Weapons are less powerful on most vehicles
-Are less mobile.
HISTORY:
- Founded in 2012 by George Samson, the Samson Corporation spent the first 31 years of its life as a powerful electronics and
giant, much like Sony of the early 21st century. In the post-disaster years, it took advantage of the weakened government to expand
its product base to include everything from household appliances to heavy moving equipment through hostile takeover of other corporation.
In 2075, it followed in the footsteps of Ayme Industries and took control of the state of New York, its first step in its
eventual takeover of the entire east coast.
- Samson Corp. provides food and protection for all of its citizens regardless of income or social status, although this
results in a "the government pretends to pay us and we pretend to work" mentality. Despite this, Samson Corp. boasts a massive
military, filled with low tech yet effective vehicles covered in thick layers of armor. Samson strategists prefer massive
assaults to pin-point operations like Ayme's.

Ayme Industries(pronounced "aim")________________________________
PROS:
-Fast
-Stealthy
-Weapons are usually more powerful then Samson's
-More mobile then Samson
CONS:
-More expensive
-Weaker armor wise
HISTORY:
- Ayme Industries began life doing cutting edge scientific research and producing high tech products. They immediately took
advantage of the Post-Disaster era to expand their product base, and were soon the only Corporation in America besides
Samson Corp., and there was nothing the government could do about it. In a bizarre move, it agreed to take over management
of the heavy in debt Californian government in 2073. From there it moved on to taking over the rest of the west cost.
- Currently, Ayme Industries provides protection for all of its citizens in massive Fort-Cities from the strange new world
earth has become. It continues to emphasize cutting edge technology in its military and civilian arms, and prefers fast,
Stealthy operations to flashy, high profile ones like Samson Corp. uses.

Infected____________________________
NON PLAYABLE: Will take the form of a "Critter" (in war craft III, for example) like race.
- After the Disaster, people began exhibiting strange mutations. While initially the cause of these changes were unknown,
it quickly became clear that the four asteroids that devastated New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and London were to blame.
Up through the takeover of the American continent by Ayme and Samson, infection was relatively minor. However, in 2078,
a massive group of Infected, now unrecognizable as human, burst out of New York. For the past 20 years, they had been
gathering for some still unknown reason and now caught the Samson Army, locked in combat with Ayme over control of the
Midwest, completely by surprise. Although the attack was repulsed in the end, attempts to eradicate the Infected always
failed, and by 2120 nearly all of earths non-infected population (as the infection had spread to animals as well) lived in
massive Fort-Cities for protection. Outside the walls, earth was slowly being transformed into another world. Each year that
passes results in less and less human looking Infected, and in less and less land resembling anything from earth.
- Infected don't seem to be all that inelegant, yet can use pre-disaster weapons with some effectiveness. Expect Infected
near tanks and old forts from before the disaster, especially in the ruins of the old Cities. (in the game, you'll be able
to kill off the Infected for exp and points, and to take control of whatever they were protecting)

Story:

THE DISASTER
In 2053, Earth was on its way to a time of relative peace and prosperity. Although there were still trouble
spots in the world and the past 50 years had seen their share of terror and war, never before had people lived in such
prosperity. Then the unthinkable happened. Spinning in the vast void of space, four rocks hurled towards Earth.
On Monday, February 2053, they impacted in New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and London and changed the course of history
forever.

THE GREAT COLLAPSE
With all the major Cities destroyed in the world, stock markets plummeted and governments lost their hold on power.
Quickly, the few corporation that had withstood the Great Collapse and the Disaster took control of the now weak
government through bribes and, later, weapons. In the old United States, the country was split down the middle by
Samson Corp. and Ayme Industries.

THE INFECTION
Meanwhile, reports began to stream in about strange mutations in many of the survivors of Disaster hit areas (such as old New
York City). Within 10 years, the Infection, as the "disease" became known, was reaching epidemic proportions, and the weakened
government did what little it could to slow it down. It was of course hopeless, and the Samson Corporation ended up swarmed in
Infected after they bursted out from New York. By 2120 Infected ruled the world outside the Fort-Cities.

TODAY- 2156
Fear of the Infection allows the corporation to rule with an iron fist. Most people huddle
inside protected Cities, while, outside, the two corporations fight for what resources are left unchanged in the world.
Sometimes, it seems the only ones winning are the Infected...

A NOTE ABOUT THE DISASTER:
Yep, 4 asteroids hit the 4 biggest Cities in the world. Doesn't sound likely, does it? And what about that "Infection"
dealy? Ohh... I wonder if there's something more to this... (hint hint).

Teh edn!!! (Thank God!!!)

Yep, gargantuan, aint it? God i need a life.
Anyway: So, Aluminum Pork, what do you think? Any good? Any ideas, better names? Post away!

EDIT: Just remembered that Samson is a real company. Uh... duh. Son of a... never mind. Any other ideas?

Samson! What the hell was i thinking?

Although the name fits well with the company philosiphy (big, strong, etc.)

EDIT: And you know what? On second thought, Ayme sounds kinda dumb. Well, it seems i can't come up with good names. Perhaps there are some more creative people out there?

EDIT (The last one, i promise): And sorry about the indents, i copyed from a .txt file and was to lazy to get rid of them.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 07:16
Wow, I'm likin that faxmaster... I don't honestly think the names are all that bad though. It's nice to have something to base it on. Did you get any models done over the nice weekend?

Anyways, the story looks nice in my opinion.

Anyone else have some thoughts on it?
Thanks

http://www.frostyle.com
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 07:20 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 07:22
Nah, I was off sking most of the time, and for the rest i was getting pissed off by Homeworld 2. Got some drawings done though (Ayme (so nice to actually have a name for them now, even if it ends up being temporary) apc and Samson Dropship). Well, i suppose that this post was unnecisary, however, if anyone else has any feedback, I'd love to hear it as well.

Promise to have some models done by the end of this week, ok?
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 04:55 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 05:01
Hey, guess what? There is currently snow outside that reaches up to my waist, and they therefore canceled school. So, being the good little modeler i am, i modeled the Liberator tank (well, its still a wip) and managed to get a hold of the plas-tank from school. Anyway:

Lib. "tank" (or 'mech, more acurately):
416 polys, still needs a lot of work.

Plas Tank:
389 polys, nearing compleation

I'm going to finish these up and get them uved for our texture artist. Any crits?

EDIT (Because i love them so much): oh yeah, did these in gmax, and from there use a long, complex process that i don't care to write to get them ingame.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 08:03
Niicee, lol. Now it's gonna be my job to get Aric motivated enough again (like when he was motivated on the tank) to get them textured. And them I'm gonna have to get motivated again on the level editor, to get a "real" interface into.

I don't wanna goto school tomorrow...

oh well. At least it's only a 3 day week now!

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 05:39:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 05:39:21