Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Making a mini-app, Quick easy concept art creation.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 14:12
Yesterday I decided to do a little artwork with me tablet, but I'm pretty pushed for time, and I don't like the length of time concept art usually takes me. So anyway, I loaded up PSP and started with a mid grey style 'paper' and used a low density spray can in white and black to do the whole thing. Using the rough low density, low hardness and opacity, and a smallish brush - I found that what I was doing was very similar to sketching with black and white pencils. The pic turned out as good as any concept art I've done before, but that's not the cool thing, the cool thing is that I had it finished in half an hour - very handy for those that have no time to meticulously colour their concept sketches - the mid-tone, shadow, and highlight method look great anyhow.

I'm gonna make a simple art package (even simpler than VanSEAM) and I plan to do it all tonight. The idea is you start with a screen, just a blank screen that is a mid tone colour, and your black and white pencil is controlled by the mouse left and right buttons.

It'll work in a similar mannor to what I did with PSP, where your building up detail as if you were using a pencil (you even shade as if it was a pencil), but just wondered if there was any other quick features that you'd like to see (besides definable brush density and sizes of course).

I'm only giving myself 1 night to do it, so nothing complicated - but if you'd really like to see a feature in it that would not take too long, please post about it and I'll see what I can do.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 18:30
Right, I know it sort of deffies (sp?) your post but it makes be want to see your' concept art you made

I've got no suggestions sorry, but what are you going to use to make this? Sounds intresting... Good Luck
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 18:25
Hey I'm curious how this went? [If you did do it in the end that is]
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 21:30
Ditto. If you're still in the mood for features, have it do a screen dump when you start drawing. Save the last ten screen dumps as a form of undo feature.
--
TAZ

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 10:53
I'm still working on it, in one night I got a weird sorta fountain pen, soft pencil shading, and a fur tool working . I feel like making it a bigger project so I'm working on it still, gonna add a nicer gui and more options - it'll still be a simple art package, but the fur tool is so nice that I want to add more.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 14:58
Oh good good, Just glad you've not given up

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 23:48:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 23:48:43