Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / maggots - worm copy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 04:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2004 04:26
download
http://winch.dbspot.com/temp/maggots.rar
http://winch.dbspot.com/temp/maggots.zip

screen shot

Instructions.

left/right cursor = move left/right
enter = jump

move mouse to bottom of screen to show weapon selection
up/down cursor = aim weapon
hold space to fire.

Move mouse to top of screen and click overview to move about land.

I am looking for ideas for which weapons to add etc.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 07:26
Nice, can't wait to see it with finished graphics.

Good work with the deformable terrain, I'd have no idea how to do that myself. lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 12:18
Pretty nice demo, you use memblocks and point() for the destructable landscape?

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus (1.4ghz) - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - 256mb RAM
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 12:41
I just use a big array that stores the colour info for each pixel, then use a memblock to make an image using the array info when needed. I can then use the array info for collision.
Proberly not the most memory efficient way.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 21:04
I'd probably just load the landscape in as a bmp and use point for collision (there's not really enough going on at one time for slowdown) and edit the memblock directly, then you don't have the massive array . But if you're this far and it's not causing any problems then there would be no need to swap.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus (1.4ghz) - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - 256mb RAM
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah, one of my favourite games. Great work on the landscape! I want the code!!!

Pincho.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 23:42
I proberly should really get rid of the array altogether and just use a single memblock. The array is really only there because it's slightly easier to work with than a memblock.

The trouble with having bmp landscapes is they are 3072x768 and you can only have a few before the filesize starts to be a problem. I will proberly use some sort of simple fractal terrain with a few bmp opjects that get placed randomly about.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 13:50
Looking like a nice start Winch, 'bout time we had worms in DB .

I've been messing around with live memblock to image creation on big images - like 1024x768 for a simple art package. Anyhoo I find it reasonably fast to alter and convert a memblock instead of using any drawing commands. Basically I just made a replacement dot command and point command for memblocks. Something you might want to consider though, is screen resolution. In 32-bit mode, a memblock has 4 bits per pixel, the last byte is for the alpha layer - this sorta limits your game to truecolour displays when otherwise it'd probably run quite well on lower spec machines. Perhaps you could experiment and see what happens when you make the image memblock from scratch, like force it to be a 32-bit image in 16-bit mode, then the screen resolution won't matter. As for Point, I'd forget it and use a memblock all the time, Point is traditionally slow in DB, and should be avoided instinctively - it'll just cause problems if you draw anything to the screen or get a weird screen update that corrupts a part of the screen (like those lovely white boxes I often get when a dialogue box appears).

If you think it would help I'd be happy to post my memblock 2D drawing functions.

Ohh, a quick idea for level creation:
You start with a repeating texture, like rock covering the whole level, then you rip strips off by stepping along a set width and removing pixels in a random fashion. So maybe something like...

* Fill the level with rock
* Get a random number seed (this can even be set by the player to regenerate identical levels)
* Get a random start position on the level, and a random width that is not gonna kill the level (maximum 1/4 width)
* Now move along from the start position for the line width.
* On each line step, draw a black vertical line of varying widths. This will look daft unless your taper the ends though.

Once you've processed a dozen or so lines, you should have a reasonably crazy yet negotiable landscape to explore. You can obviously add backdrop items like in worms. Personally I really liked the busted cars in the scrapyard levels. You could easily check each pixel and draw a layer of grass or whatever where theres a coloured pixel with a black pixel above it to improve the looks.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 22:59 Edited at: 28th Jan 2004 22:59
It appears to run fine in 16bit, I am creating the memblocks from scratch and dbpro thankfully appears to automatically convert a 32bit image in a memblock to 16bit image. As long as the coversion doesn't take too long it should be fine, I haven't tested it in 16bit on a slow machine yet.

I guessed point would have simiar problems to get image so decided not to use it, looks like it was the right decision.

Quote: "If you think it would help I'd be happy to post my memblock 2D drawing functions."

I will be able to manage the dot and point commands myself, the only think I am having trouble with is a line command. If you have any code to draw lines I would be grateful.

Thanks for the idea for the level creation, It will proberly take a while to get the levels correct as it's a one of the most important parts of the game and needs to be just right.

Quote: "Personally I really liked the busted cars in the scrapyard levels."

I will definatly be adding some themed objects to the levels.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 08:30:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 08:30:38