Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Early work on a Classic style RPG project (Just for fun project not for money)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 16:58
Basically here's what i'm currently trying to implement:

The Tyrannt Role Playing Game (RPG) Engine is Computer Role Playing Game based on a classic concept. I much prefer this concept of game play and miss the games that used to use this.

The main movement in the game with be in step based First Person 3D (Not free movement but stepped movement like classic CRPG games)

Combat will be in Isometric 3D and be using a turn based system.

This game will have no real-time element to it. (The way I like it )

It is intended to make free games and isn’t intended to be sold for profit. Just some fun in designing the game engine and games that run on it.

The initial version of the game was written to help me learn Dark Basic Professional (BDPro) and first attempts are available here:

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Part1.zip

I’ve now decided to scrap this content and start again, this time doing more designing on paper before starting the game. Hence the rest of this document.

The plan is to start of with a basic system and then improve on it with each version.

The initial game based on this engine will be based around the Guild initiation process.

The rules system has been written from scratch so as not to infringe on any other rule system from existing RPG games.

The Current state of the project is to build all the general routines that will be required during the game, such as a generic menu system display routines etc. (I.e. the more boring bits ) Work on the 3D side of the game will be done later. Then the first major part will be a Character Generator, followed by the Maze Generator. Then comes the first of the 3D areas, getting the characters to move round the maze.

A document with the basic RPG Rule system can be found here:

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt_RPG_system.doc

I'm interested in any comments/suggestions on what you see so far in design etc.

Cheers,

Jas
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
screenies so we WANT to download it

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 17:26
This is the previous version, am re-writing from scratch now, but the new version will initially looks something like this.

Jas
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 17:35
Why not make it like Dungeon Master? You're already some of the way there from your screenshots.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 17:39
Basically it is going to be like those old classic RPGs but the turn based ones not the realtime combat ones. (e.g. early Might and Magic/Wizardry series) But with a gold box AD&D game style combat system (But using 3D models etc instead of sprites).

Jas
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks REALLY nice. I am gonna Downloading now.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 21:45
I've updated the design doument and should have the character generator finished by the end of this weekend and available for testing if anyone wants to give it ago.

Any comments on the old game (Source now lost due to a machine death) or new design welcome.

Cheers,

Jas
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2004 18:14
Someone asked me about the old game, basically the

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Part1.zip

zip file is around 6mb. To control the your character in it, you need to use the cursor keys plus space key to move through doors.

The game was last compiled with lots of debug information so when you get into a battle, there is a lot more info displayed then there needs to be, and if the text stops for any reason, usually pressing a key will make it continue. There are a few other exe's in the archive used to generate the character/maze/items/events

Most of these are self explanitory in the way they work, you could almost write a complete game with them as they are, but at the time it was written, but there was no leveling up process written.

Another thing, if you pick up an item such as a weapon, click on the character and then select inventory from the menu, and equip the item, it causes more damage usually.

Anyway back to the new game for me now...

Jas
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 02:41
Just done the first attempt at the character generator, there are a few more bits to be added but as i've got this far early, i thought i'd allow people to try it out and see what they think.

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

Basically only the menu to create characters is working, and anything you see in with a dark red background is clickable.

I apollogise for the colour sceme but i'm working on functionality first then make it look pretty.

Let me know what you think.

Jas

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 08:40:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 08:40:20