Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 17:07
Hi, how to create a skybox in DBpro? I had look through the examples, but most of them using sky sphere. I want to avoid sphere if possible, to reduce the mesh count.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 17:14
Make or find one in .x format and then load it into DBP as a regular object.

DigAw.com
Game in developement: The Magic Land
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 18:20
What do you mean? Is the .X format that you mentioned is a cube (or box).

Erm... maybe you got me wrong, I want to create a skybox, which is actually the background surroundings scenary of a level. It doesn't move, i.e. it always remains stationary as the player moves.

If you use a texture mapped cube, it will have some artifact at the box corner. I heard before on creating skybox something like this needs to alter the UV coordinates.

Any ideas?

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 22:42
.x is the most supported 3D file format for DBP. I don't know any other way of creating sky spheres/boxes then loading an object. Just make sure that the box is always centered around the camera and the corners doesn't appear unless you look extremly close.

DigAw.com
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 23:13
if you make the box big enough you won't see the corners... but if you make the box bigger, you have to make sure the textures still look nice....

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you texture the box such that It wraps properly. I have trouble doing that in 3dmax. If someone could just post a generic skybox object and it's corresponding bitmap, that would be really helpful to people who were trying to make their own.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 14:24
You need 1 texture for each side of the box.

DigAw.com
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you do that? 6 plain objects?

ToXic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 22:33
If your stuck on sky boxe's have a look here, This code by Van-B (including a sky box with 6 bmp's) should help get you unstuck.. the code is for dbc, but the sky box model and bitmaps can be used in dbp, Hmmmm perhaps if you intend on using this you should ask him..a very good example of a sky box.

http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=9794

ToXic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 03:42:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 03:42:07