Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 'Nother Level Editor - possibly for shmup making

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This editor is still in its design stages. Click on the link to view it's current status:

http://www.posergallery.com/wip/20040203-lev_edit20115.jpg

It loads the bitmaps, and you can scroll through the previews to upload what you want. I'm currently working on a "level block" placer so that you can make images that are multiple tiles, and you can paste all the tiles from the original bitmap in one big click. This will save time. Other features that I hope to implement include "parallax layering".

The preview tiles I was using are from the game: Tyrian. I hope to be able to start making a 2d shmup (shoot em up) when this is completed.

Please post your comments. I've never actually worked with a level editor for a 2D shmup, so I hope I'm going in the right direction.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 06:31
That looks cool, I love those style of games. That would be real fun if you released a "demo" of what your editor can do. Would probably get people really interested in it. Those tiles from the screenshot look really good as well.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx! Like I said, the tiles are from the game, Tyrian 2000 (copyright Epic MegaGames 1999). I am simply using them as a placeholder until I make my own.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 04:20
soooo cool dude it's realy commin along!! hope to see a good game made with that.

CPU

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.
I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
>>>>> Check out my alienwhere progress in the W.I.P folder! <<<<
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to get my hands on that editor =) be sure to add in a option to load your own tiles for use don't want to forget that

The search continues.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback.

Currently, I've got it working so that all bitmaps in the subfolder "/tiles" are loaded in and sliced/diced into appropriate tile sizes. It's cheap, but it'll be especially user friendly after I preform a major overhaul that I'm currently working on.

Algorythm for parallax scrolling is proving to be a real joyride (no sarcasm intended). I'm not expecting the animated tiles option to be a joyride, however.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
if you could release a demo version (stable too) im sure that'd get people hyped up.

The search continues.
Kain the Second
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,looks interesting....any demo? And is this going to be bird's eye 2d or sidescrolling?
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 03:20 Edited at: 9th Feb 2004 04:06
@Kain the Second

If this project is a success, it will be capable of being used for just about any 2D game with a map-based environment (horizontal shooters, verticle shooters, and rpgs). It will depend on the textures you use, and the way you set the parallax layers!

UPDATES:

- Primitive save/load feature implemented... Needs more work to be better.

- Just implemented parallax layering !!! There are currently six layers of textures you can place (though using all of them in unadviseable unless you are making a cool effect)

- Stubborn run-time bug: the parallax layers cause the grid to skip a pixel every once in a while (ugly - ).

Oh by the way... No new screenshots until parallax effect can be demonstrated with viable looking textures.

NEGATIVE NOTE: I'm designing this editor to best suit my own creation needs. Therefore I could not get cosmetically advanced on the menu buttons - they are ugly. The scrolling switches for the preview textures are still gray boxes that are too small to contain arrows (640/480 res stinks - but so does my computer - if you want an excuse)!

MAJOR EDIT: I just now fixed the grid bug. I'm so darn happy I could jump through the roof.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool cool i hope its done soon. i don't want to make a 2d game by just coding the whole thing...takes to long.

The search continues.
LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 01:36
yes please come out with a demo, I would like to try it.

When it comes to programing, I'm on fire!
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 03:38 Edited at: 15th Feb 2004 03:39
MORE UPDATES:

I've got the editor working to a good level of functionality. One thing to remember... for simplicity I've got it so that you can load tile_sets from the "/tiles" folder. They are called "tile sets" for a reason: given the style of the editor it is to your advantage to pack as many 64/64 into "level-tile-sheets" as possible (the bitmaps). That way it also serves as setting level-themes much easier and less time consuming.

I've got to work on placing objects now.

I'm going to release the editor as soon as time permits (could be a while if I get real ambitious about being able to edit the objects).

"The keyboard is mightier than the sword."
...2D map editor with parallax layering in the works (60%completed)...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 07:20:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 07:20:56