Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / What is the best .X exporter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 18:46
I use .X format in most of my DBpro games.

I was wondering what is the best .X exporter out there for 3D Studio MAX? I am currently using the .X exporter came with DirectX 8.1 SDK. It initially had some bugs in exporting texture but I manage to fix it.

The Panda DirectX Exporter looks cool, but I can't get it working. Does anyone tried it before?
http://www.pandasoft.demon.co.uk/directxmax4.htm

What are the .X Exporter that you guys use in your games development?

Thanks!
Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 18:57
To static objects I use 3D Exploration.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Gribbly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 21:07
I'd suggest getting the exporter from the Direct X SDK's they support Max 3, 4 and 5... The same is true for Maya.

Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 21:09
Yep...3D exploration is a great tool to convert to .X

I had problems with the max plugins but rarely have problems with 3D exploration.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

P4 2.53 Ghz-60 Gig HD-GeForce2Ti 64MB-256 DDR
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 22:18
I use a free 3P plugin for Lightwave.

DigAw.com
Game in developement: The Magic Land
Gribbly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 23:33
of course that doesn't help anyone using Max

But the LW exporter by DStorm is the best for LW and is the one I use

Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 06:43
I heard a lot of 3D Exploration. I heard it is came with DBpro, I just can't find it.

Can anybody help me? Thanks!

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 11:13
You can find out about it here

[url]www.righthemisphere.com[/url]

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 11:14
Remember that the new 'DBO' model format for DBpro will be out soon which will probably help you also

Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2002 06:36
Cool... I am anxious to see DBpro have its own model. Let's hoped it is not that buggy.

Any idea when is it coming out?

Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2002 17:10
It's penciled in for the next patch (it looks like patch 4 is gonna be a groundbreaking patch )

Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2002 18:59
Yeah man, can't wait for that...

DBpro rocks!!

AsylumHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 13:44
The panda exporter appears to work perfectly when exporting your scene as a binary file.

AsylumHunter

still falling out of my binary tree most evenings (hicup!)
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 14:31
I never tried export with MilkShape 3D, I'm still learninh how to use it, but it has more options to export things that u can dream off . And it's worthy it's price. For the moment it's the best modeler ( for games ) I've ever tried and believe me, it's very worthy it's price

I've used 3D Exploration a long while ago, and it was really great, specially for viewing of ur objects. It had a bug though. If u had an animated object, let's say in .3ds and export it to .X, all animations were lost. As I said b4 they might have fixed this issue, but I really dunno

well:

www.milkshape3d.com

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 17:50
To AsylumHunter: How do you export .X file using the Panda Exporter? I tried to export it via MAX, but nothing comes out. What settings you used? Thanks!

Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 10:38
The new DBO format wont be a file format at all for the moment its an internal structure to be used by DBP. DBpro at present handles 3d models/objects using the command sets in the dlls. This means that each object/model type is being handled in different ways leading to slower processing.The DBO format initally i think will replace this system so that the internal 3d graphics engine uses one format internally for all operatons through out. This will mean that models from 3ds or other 3d formats will be converted to the internal DBO format in memory and will speed up the process and allow added effects etc to and of the object/models.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 11:53
I Build most of my models in Milkshape, but got a demo of 3DSMax5 on a magazine recently, and found that saving as a *.3ds file then openning and converting to *.x in Milkshape works fine. Its a bit long winded, but might b worth trying if you're having trouble finding 3D Exploration. Obviously many of the more advanced functions of a scene don't translate into a simple *.3ds or *.x model but for simple low poly models its pretty cool.

*Re: Rogue* Yeah it does have a shed-load of export options, but I've found many are un-reliable, probably because the majority are programmed by third parties. However I have heard mixed results from different users. The *.3ds and *.x options are the best on my PC at least

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
AsylumHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 14:27
Hey Bulleyes

I use Max 5, and export a binary file - thats it - I tried the text file export to begin with and it did nothing, then I tried binary and it worked -

Be sure to check Mesh Normals and Mapping Co-ords, Output Mesh Definition & Materials, and Object type Geometric. I also had it convert my texture maps.

I can send you a binary exported .x file from this exporter if that helps.

AsylumHunter

still falling out of my binary tree most evenings (hicup!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 19:44:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 19:44:46