Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Just a few last questions before I buy.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2002 00:43
I have the money and am prepared to buy dbp. From what I've heard from those who have recieved it, I have heard positive comments. The demos look good. I am fairly convinced that this is an excelent product. Though I do have some last questions.

First, I plan on using GTKradiant to make levels. If I use it to make my levels, does dbpro have a nice bsp compiler, so I can use that instead of the quake one, to avoid paying q3 royalties if I decide to sell my game? Also, if I decide not to use that editor, is it posible to program my own level editor with dbpro, and use it to build nice levels for my game? By doing this I would like to know if I could have the engine compile the level made with my editor so that the level gets nice framerates in game.

And the last question, can dbpro handle smooth curves?
Sir Lerpie, the proud leader of Wurxware http://mysite.iptic.com/wurxware
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2002 01:33
DBpro can handle smooth curves.
You can do them manually or using a few helping functions.

but about your question of the .bsp's... Sorry I can't help you out much but I only know this: there is a .x to .bsp converter. So if you get your level done and saved/converted to .x ..well, then you have a change of getting it in.

oh yeah, Arent there any free bsp compilers around? just curious...

DBpro is great, even though it has it's problems. But that's just because it's so new. I believe.

Specs :: [1333Mhz : 256DDR : Geforce 2 Mx 64MB]
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2002 02:02
here is the lowdown:
-You can use free editors to make levels for your games (so not worldcraft/hammer, radient, it MUST be something you are allowed to do commercial stuff with.)
-You can use the ID compilers if you wanna either pay millions in licensing fees or millions in damages...
-I am not sure, but there may be some free compilers, again you'd have to check with it's creator.
-You can program a very good level editor in DBP. My suggestion? Make one that exports to .X models, then use the included .X - BSP convertor to make BSPs. This is totally legal for you too do, not to mention free...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
lerpiedood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2002 04:05
So if I use dbpro, I can program a very nice level editor, and then to get it to bsp all I have to do is export to .x and then it has a convertor to make it a bsp file. Sounds good. Its also nice to hear it has smooth curves.

lerpiedood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2002 01:14
Also another question, if I make a level, how exactly do I position the entities in it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:25:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:25:16