Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Awfuldarkforest World Editor 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 02:46
Awfuldarkforest Worldmaker World Editor v2

I've been working hard at this thing. It seems like I've reached a plateau. I know there are lots of world editors to choose from. That's good. You may want to give this one a try - nothing to lose. Its a small download (3.4 mb), a good creative tool and fun to use.

You can download it from the Awfuldarkforest web site
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/worldmaker.html

You can make a matrix, texture it with one image, or a bitmap texture with 16 images, or you can use a single image tiled independently of the matrix and then sliced into matrix tiles.

You can use a heightmap, any size, jpg, or bmp, any colors. There is also a variety of terrain tools including large smooth hills, random ridges, random subtract. You set the degree of smoothness and the height. Except for the large hill maker, they add to the terrain, rather than replacing it, so you can use them in combination. You can also smooth, stretch, shrink and flatten. You can see the changes as you make them.

There is an edge blender button. Example.dba shows how to make a simple infinite matrix out of a single matrix.

You can also set the lights, fog, normalize, etc. There's a sky box included with a choice of textures.

Load any 3ds or x object. You can scale it, rotate it and place it where you like. There are several building block type objects included. They are cloned. You can also clone any other objects you have loaded. When you use the included objects you get static collision boxes. You can also texture them with an assortment of included textures.

There's a help file included. You can download it separately also. There's a file included to use in your dbpro game. It's simple and easy to edit. There's also a couple of examples.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 02:53
Nice, im makeing one right now. This gives me some ideas like add
lights and the ambient light color. I never even thought of that.

I dont know how to spell
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 23:03
Yods - a game to play in worldmaker worlds. You fly around, shoot missiles and get shot. The missiles are guided and there's a missile view. You can also deconstruct the landscape with the missiles. The name describes a shaft of light descending from a ufo. The ufo jumps around, as ufo's do, making crop circles or whatever. There's also a couple planes to shoot at. You can play in any world. It's a simple infinite matrix, so you need to blend the edges.

Yodszip is about 1.3 mb. You can download it from the website. Its a self extracting 7 Zip archive. Copy it to the worldmaker folder,where worlds.exe is located, and click it. When it extracts it will add some media and objects to the media and objects folders.

The screenshot shows a world textured with under.bmp, tiled 4 times into a 50x50 matrix. The terrain was made with darkworld.jpg as the heightmap.

Dostej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 10:06
hm, looks nice. I think I give it a try

GALACTIC X - A very early demo is now available - comments very welcome - http://www.angelfire.com/droid/galacticx/
also my IDE - jaPROe and some snippets and tools
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 18:14
Certainly very interesting looking. Downloading this now.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 18:21
My initial comments:

If I add an object then delete it the program crashes.

Its tricky to work out what to do at first.

The cam controls don't seem all that intuitive. I spent a long time trying to get to where I wanted to go.

Overall interface is really nice looking.

Some of the buttons are too small for the text contained in them.

Very powerful tool it has a lot of flexibility for making levels.

A good amount of options. I like the lighting options you've put in. Very useful.

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 05:51
Hi GCEclipse,
if you happen to read this, thanks for the feedback.

I worked on it some more today - added ambient color control. That can make nice effects. - also made some more sliders, and an improved sky. I changed it to an 800x600 window. I did that to get better than 16 bit color depth, better fps.

I'll upload it tomorrow, maybe.

Meanwhile, I found something interesting. I used a photo of a person as a texture for a matrix. Then I used the same photo as a heightmap, smoothed it a couple times and stretched it a couple times, and adjusted the light. Then I did a screen capture from high up(+y) and a little back(-z).
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 03:12
I fixed a problem in the object delete menu, and a couple others - changed some menus to make it easier to get started - lengthened a few buttons
The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 23:36
your world editor looks really good. I downloaded your world editor
but when i clicked on the world aplication file it said bitmap does not exist.
please fix your world editor i really want to try it.

C.M.M
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 01:00
Hi C.M.M.

Sorry for the difficulty. I'd appreciate any further information you could give me about that. I haven't heard about this happening to anyone else. Please try again. Meanwhile, I'll upload it again, in case the file was somehow corrupted.

I'm working at getting the bugs out and improving the fps. The program is a little slow and requires a lot of processing power. I added a configuration file to let you adjust the screen depth. If you want 16 bit, instead of 32 bit, open "config.txt" in the "maps" folder. Change the "32" to "16". If you want an 800x600 window, change it to "window". I don't know if that's related to your problem.
The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 18:30
first of all when I click on the world application file the screen goes black then it goes baack to windows and it says that bitmap does not exist at line 15.

seconed of all after changing the config and clicking on the world application file the screen goes black and says the same message as before and nothing seems to change.

and lastly my computer might not have power like you said. my computer It is anchient. pentimum 2 processor 333 mhz 8 meg graphic card and only 7 gigabites worth of room on the hardisk with no programs on it.

C.M.M
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 00:35
Hi C.M.M.

Sorry. You're right. Your computer doesn't have the jam. Thanks for trying.
THijs681
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2004 13:27
nice world editor, but it's hard to use.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 00:00
I just uploaded an update. It's friendlier, a little faster, and more stable. Also, now you can make static collision boxes, any size or shape and save them like objects. You can also take screen shots, and the program bleeps when it does something. That helps, especially for things that take a moment to happen.

You can now access the top menus while using a side menu. So, for example, you can leave the terrain tools menu up while you blend edges. The 3d screen is the full screen made smaller. You can ghost any texture. There's a couple more useful objects. The pyramid, for some reason, was causing problems. That's been replaced.

There's no change to the arrays, so if you want to update you can keep any maps you made.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 02:32
I found an interesting program. It's called "T2". Starting from a heightmap, it makes a textures and lightmaps. It can also make a mesh and export it as .x. Its free.
http://www.petra.demon.co.uk/Games/texgen.html

I made a texture with it and used it in worldmaker along with the heightmap. You can build a terrain in worldmaker and then save a heightmap. I added a button in the control menu, "Save heightmap". It's saved as hmap.bmp. Then you can use the heightmap in T2 to make a texture. If you try this, you may get an error message saying that the program doesn't recognize the bitmap. It doesn't matter. It uses it anyway.

Here's an example. The texture is 1024x1024 blended light map and texture image tiled once on a 50x50 matrix. The heightmap is island.bmp, which comes with T2.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 12:08
Is that a shot from within DB?

"eureka" - Archimedes
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2004 20:12
Yes. That's a screenshot taken in Worldmaker.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 11:42
t2 is a damn cool program just wondering how you got the reflections though, is that from the materials in t2 or something you've done in dbp?

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2004 14:05
When I downloaded WorldMaker, It didnt work. I clicked the .Exe file and it started, but all it was was a black screen. Am I doing something wrong, or... what?

http://www.t4e0.4cybiko.com- GameXaero Forums
http://www.t4e0.4cybiko.com/gxstudios - GX Studios
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 20:14
The reflecting water is DBPro: "set reflection shading on object#". It's a great effect. Of course, it uses a lot of processing power.
BTW, thanks for the smoothing function.

Zero Blitzt - Please tell me more about your computer. Look in the maps folder for Config.txt. Open it with notepad and change the 32 to 16. Save it, and try that. -or- change the 32 to "window" to open it in a window -or- delete the config.txt file and try that.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 14:34
OK, I will try it after I get home from school.

http://www.t4e0.4cybiko.com- GameXaero Forums
http://www.t4e0.4cybiko.com/gxstudios - GX Studios
The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 19:47
Hi again I made a mistake. I tried downloading world editor again and an error came up when I ran the exe it said bitmap does not exist at line 12 not line 15. Can you fix this problem or is my computer juct to slow still?

C.M.M
The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 20:03
I got your editor working
open config then type

windows
menues off

then world maker works fine.
:p

C.M.M
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 01:13
I'm glad that worked. If the program runs slowly on your computer, you'll find that you have to type slowly when you enter information in text boxes. Also, you'll have to wait a moment for some things to get done. If you select "menus on" in the control menu, you'll be using a smaller window and you'll get a few more fps.

I made a short tutorial about height maps, T2, and light maps:

http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/hmaps.html
The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 16:11
Your program runs slow on my computer like you said. The texture feature, loading feature and saving feature do not work. probly to do with the power of my computer. Apart from these problems I would say that this is an exellent editor.

C.M.M
ifman1
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, very nice. I'm in the middle of making a map editor that actually looks and works a lot like yours, just mine's in it's infancy. Very nice work.

1 suggestion... make an optional windowed mode. I think it would be especially helpful to be able to look at the included html page while I was working in the editor.

1 question.... on the web page it's listed under freeware, but it's only free for personal use. Are you planning on setting up a liscensing thing? I'd hate to make a game... figure out I really liked it and wanted to try selling it, and then have to start over on the maps. Just a thought!

DBPro's made out of PEOPLE.... PEOPLE.......!!!!!
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 20:04
Thanks ifman1. There is a window mode. Delete, or rename the config.txt file in the maps folder. The program will open in an 800x600 window.

What I mean about the freeware - If you make a pile of money, throw some of it my way, please. Otherwise, I hope you have fun.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 22:28
Oops! That wasn't working. Its fixed. I'm uploading the corrected version now.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 00:29
there's a new yods. More information, screenshots and download:
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/yods.html

Its a large download - 5 mb. That includes 7 worlds, 2 of them made with T2. You don't need worldmaker to play the game. If you have your own worldmaker worlds, you can play them in yods too.
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2004 02:48
Can you load a matedit matrix?

Dont worry and keep a cool head.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 23:10
Sorry to take so long, Kequor - if you happen to look here again. You can't load a matedit matrix.
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 08:45
Thas alright. Nice editor.Looks almost as good as Geoscape.

Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 01:38
Quote: "pentimum 2 processor 333 mhz"

so im not alone after all! wow...

Dragael Software
Current Project: 2D RPG Editor (DragnEdit 2D)
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 02:20
Thanks! working on a texture maker now, to make texture maps from height maps. It's looking pretty good - a few days maybe.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2004 00:50

The land painter is done, at least enough to have fun with it. It makes a texture image from a height map or from the matrix, and saves it to the media folder. You can also retexture any saved world and see the results within seconds.

You set 4 textures according to color, bumpiness (random variation), probability, lower limit and upper limit. You set the size of the image and the amount of blur. The result is a random landscape texture.

Not as spectacular as T2 textures - Its easy and fun to use, with nearly endless possibilities. There are also some new sky textures, an updated manual and a few height maps.
Cpt Caveman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 14:06
I tried some of the examples, but they would drop back to the desktop when I compiled and ran them. An reason why this may happen??

But the main worldmaker loads and works fine just the code examples.

Looking good too
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 18:54
Your doing a great job! This is the best thing since Matedit! Looks as good as geoscape.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 19:00
The terrain looks very nice indeed.

Good job

"To do is to be" - Descartes
"To be is to do" - Voltaire
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2004 21:32
Thanks David T. I appreciate that.

Thanks Kequor. I used Matedit and liked it a lot.

Elemenop - Hmmm...Try changing the settings to full screen exclusive mode.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 04:43
I am having the same problem with the examples not running. They just shut down with no errors. I have tried all screen modes.

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 06:35
Sorry Lost in Thought. I don't know why that's happening. Is the worldmaker program running okay? Have you tried making a world and loading it?
Change anna to whatever world name:
map$="anna"

or - Try deleting the dbpro file and making a new one, or just put something like this at the top:

set display mode 800,600,16
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 08:53
I have tried deleting and making new files. I also tried troubleshooting the code a bit but quickly got lost ( took me 10 mins to indent all the code to follow some of it ). I will try making my own map file when I get a chance but I don't know how soon that will be. What version of DBP are you using? I have the latest.

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
Cpt Caveman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 12:12
Harggood, I ask my friend to try it on his computer and it did exactly the same as mine. When we run any of the examples the screen goes black briefly then drops straight back to the editor. If tried changing to exclusive mode as well as using the set display mode command, no luck unfortunately. I was really looking forward to try it out too.
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I'm new to DarkBasic and I'd like to thank Harggood for his beautiful program.
I've had the same troubles some of you have.
When I tried to load an example file the screen went black for some secs and then return to editor.
So I run the program in debug mode and I discovered it stopped to the execution of the following line:

load object "objects\adome.x",912

So I removed this line and I first have used:

load object "objects\acolumn.x",912

when I saw it worked well I managed to convert adome.x to adome.dbo
with the converter present in this forum and I changed the line to:

load object "objects\adome.dbo",912

Now everything works well, and I think it's a problem due to .x object loading due to DarkBasicPro version.
Mine is 5.2, what's yours?
So I hope to have benn of some help.
Thank to harggood for his software, here there is my first shot:

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2004 20:31
Many thanks Il Buzzo. I was using 5.1. Nice screen shot.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 06:45
I thought I could just replace the .x objects to fix the problem. Not so easy! I'm sure there's a way ... Meanwhile, I made a quick fix.

I replaced the static objects with db made objects. I uploaded the new Worldmaker.exe ---compiled with 5.2, with no .x objects. Thanks for your patience.
Cpt Caveman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 12:05
Converting to DBO objects fixed the problem for me too. Thanks Il Buzzo
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 00:56
Thanks Cyber junky. The last texture was made with the new landpainter option in worldmaker. The others were made with T2. The landpainter is very easy to use. Because it uses thousands of random decisions to make a texture, you can experiment with probabilities to easily get all kinds of things happening. It uses colors instead of blending textures, so you never get artifacts.

T2 is a little more difficult to use, because it has so many options. It also makes light maps, and blended texture and light maps, which are awesome. When you use the blended maps in worldmaker, set the light to the same direction as set in T2 and you get realistic shadows on the terrain.

First, you need a height map. There are a few height maps included with worldmaker. You can also make height maps from the matrix. More information:
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/hmaps.html

Worldmaker Web Page:
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com
Il Buzzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you like this screen shot?

It's my second try, I did it with T2 and WorldMaker and object with CShop.
I'm planning to write an RPG game based on worlds created with Worldmaker.
I need just a little more practice.
So I'm writing a screen saver that uses worldmaker created worlds.
I'll post the code when done.

Salvatore "Il Buzzo"
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2004 05:18
I found a problem with the most recent version of worldmaker, that I uploaded yesterday. Its not reloading textures that you made and saved. I fixed it and I'll upload a fixed version to the webpage later today. Meanwhile, if you get an error message when you try to reload your world that says something about line 732, you can do this:

Go to the maps folder. Find the file that has the name of your world with no ending. Open it with notepad. Scroll past all the empty space that could be filled with names of objects. Near the end, you'll see "media\yourworldtexture.bmp". Delete "media\" and save it. It'll work fine now. Sorry about that.

Il Buzzo, I like your screen shot. Nice lighting

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 15:24:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 15:24:58