Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Awfuldarkforest World Editor 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2004 02:34
Kingcheese alerted me to a problem with the save matrix texture menu. Thats the part that lets you make a 16 tile bitmap from images in the tiles folder. It's not working. Sorry about that. I know how I broke it and I'll fix it asap.

I've been working on an "object maker" menu. It doesn't make objects. I didn't know what else to call it. You can load any x,3ds,or dbo object or mesh, or a db primitive. Then you can set just about everything that dbpro lets you set about objects. That's saved to a text file in the objects menu. Now you can use that file to load the object into an application with all the options (about 50 variables). You can also reload that into worldmaker for multiple copies.
Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 04:24
^_^ Great editor you got there. It looks really nice. However, i'm having problems with it.

When i follow your quickstart guide, and i get to the step:
2. Select Ground, terrain tools - to modify the terrain in real time. Click Large hills. Enter 3 or 4 in the smoothing box or click the slider. Enter 250 in the height box, or click the slider. Click Build. Click Done.

I do what it says, and click done, and the program crashes and gives me a Runtime Error 7017 - Matrix Coordinates illegal at line 4470.

:-( You're editor looks really nice, and i would like to be able to use it. Perhaps i am doing something wrong... Help please?
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 07:58
Hi Final Epsilon,

Thanks for the heads up on that problem. I can't get it to crash. I'm looking into it. I suggest you try again. Maybe try playing with some of the other settings. You don't have to be careful. The worst that can happen is that it will close. Try loading the example world, Anna and changing things.

Another update in a day or two - lots of fixes. Here's a screen shot of the object maker:

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 02:12
The update is uploaded. The object maker seems to be working okay. The source code has been updated for .wom file loading into your programs. Also, numerous bugs were tamed and there's an improved light menu. You can now see the light change as you click the sliders. The manual is also updated.

I'm amazed at all the things you can do with an object. Especially, I like alpha mapping.

You can use .wom files to load objects into your applications, giving you lots of control over how they appear. Also, they're just simple text files, so you can easily edit them. The .wom files are stored in the objects folder with the objects they describe. You can load them into worldmaker the same way you load objects, except that you can't scale or rotate them after loading them, or clone them.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 08:21
Big update...now with .Netlib for better file handling. Its faster, more stable, easier to use. Lot of other improvements, including mouse look and free camera movement using the mouse. The land painter makes better textures. The height map maker is improved.
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/worldmaker.html
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 19:19
Were can I get yods?

Dont worry and keep a cool head.

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 20:17
Quote: "Were can I get yods?"

Hi Kequor. Sorry, Yods isn't available. When I updated to 5.2 from 5.1 all the models broke. I have to replace them before I can continue to work on the game.
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 06:36
Thats okay. By the way there are some textures in the screenshots that arn't in the download. You should change that.

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 19:47
Quote: "there are some textures in the screenshots that arn't in the download. You should change that."

The only textures in the download are some object textures, an example 16 tile bitmap, example height maps, and some sky textures. I guess you mean the land textures. You can make those with Worldmaker. Some of the textures in the screenshots were made with Worldmaker and T2.

I've been tweaking the land painter in Worldmaker. With a little experimenting, you can make very interesting textures with it.

There's a tutorial about making textures from height maps. It also describes how to use T2 with Worldmaker. There's a link to T2 on the web page.

Heightmap tutorial:
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/hmaps.html

I just updated the manual:
http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/manual.html
Oibaf2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Any chance of using this in DBClassic minus the non comaptble effects? I used the editor and its nice but only have DBCLassic...
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:41
Quote: "Any chance of using this in DBClassic minus the non comaptble effects? I used the editor and its nice but only have DBCLassic... "

I think that the code can be made to work with DBC, with a few changes. I don't have DBC. Maybe I can download the free version and have a look. If some kind person would like to help with that, he or she will get big credits and many thanks.
Kequor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 21:25
I might be able to help with that. What do you need done?

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2004 01:39
Thanks Kequor. What we need is worldload.dba changed to work with dbclassic so that you can load the arrays into a dbc game.
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:17
Update...a new sky. Now you can load any texture or make a gradient sky texture with the sky painter. Also...theres an optional cloud layer that's inside the sky. It's ghosted and moves. You can load any texture. Several cloud textures are included.

http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/world42.jpg
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 00:18
oops

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 22:33
**All new landpainter**.....I finally figured out how to do this. Paint the landscape with textures, as well as or instead of colors. Load any 256x256 textures. Set the height limits and probability. Blend colors and textures to tint the textures or use the textures like bump maps.

I'm excited. I haven't had time to test this thoroughly. However, it seems to be working okay and I'd like you to have the opportunity to try it.

BTW, it uses a lot of computer resources to make a 1024x1024 blended image. It takes a minute or two on my athlon 2200.

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 22:42
The new land painter is working much better now - using less resources and not crashing. There are a few new textures included in this update, including the textures used to make this:

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 00:30
Lots of improvements. Better file handling; improved menus; faster; more stable; better and easier sky and height map making. Here's a screen shot. The sky texture, land texture and height map were made in Worldmaker.

awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/worldmaker.html
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2004 07:13
Upgraded to 1.054. My old .x objects that wouldn't load with 1.052 now load and look great. I changed the menus - simpler, faster - and a new, 'non windows' kind of look. There were some problems with the land painter and the upgrade, so I rewrote the land painter. Its now faster, has more organic texture blending, and better color variation. Also upgraded the Netlib.dll for better file saving and file handling.

Awfuldark Forest
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2004 11:10
Yods is back. You can get it from the web site - about 3MB zipped. Yods is a simple game to play Worldmaker worlds, shoot guided missiles and blow things up.

Awfuldark Forest
Ferakon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 01:48 Edited at: 15th Jul 2004 01:57
When I try load wordeditor it just get a winXP "send error?" msg and doesnt even beggin to load
tried restarting with no effect

any ideas?

(edit) same problem with yods, however everything alse i have made in DBpro and downloaded works so it must be soething odd in world maker that my comp doesn't like much . Tried compatibility modes (all of them) no effect.

Go for the eyes boo! Go for the eyes!
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 11:50
Quote: "When I try load wordeditor it just get a winXP "send error?" msg and doesnt even beggin to load
tried restarting with no effect
"

Hi Ferakon - Do you have NET Framework 1.1 installed. You can get it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/howtoget/default.aspx

Awfuldark Forest
Ferakon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2004 23:46
missed that in your how to intall etc. section!

Ill post in 15 mins wether it worked or not.

Thnx

Ferakon

Ferakon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2004 00:12
Sorry for the delay

Works and so does yods !
Looks amazing im gunna go make some maps now

Thnx

Ferakon

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2004 04:55
I've been wrestling with object problems. Worldmaker is now using 5.5 beta. Sometimes, when I load an .x object and scale it or color it, it loses its normals. If I scale it in another program and then load it into a dbp program, its fine.

I made a few changes in the womload function so that you can make a .wom file for a problem object without losing the normals, if you don't scale or color the object while making the .wom.

Also - the latest version of Worldmaker makes a world without using a matrix, if that's your choice. It also makes and saves a .dba file specific to that world, if you like. Worldload.dba still works as a universal loader. There are many other small changes to make it easier to use. Now, when you open the program you open a new world. Menu buttons are hidden if they don't apply to what you're doing at the moment.

Awfuldark Forest
Carlitos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 04:28
Well, I just got back from a looooooooooooong break of programming, and just nearly repolished my engine for BINARY, a game I started a while back, except its a bit different than it was before. I was looking for a matrix editor, and as I was looking through, found this AMAZING software...I can't express how excited I am that you made this!!! Thank you soooo much. This program is soooooo good that I am planning on recreating BINARY and making it with 'real' textures instead of code. THANK YOU very much. Recommend it to all. Again thanks....

Carlitos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 04:47
lol, I know it hasn't been long, but I need to say thanks, I am so *[truck passes by and blows horn]* exited. This thing is so powerful. One suggestion if I may however, it takes a long time to get from one spot to another if, say, you wanted to get from one side of the area to another. Maybe, a feature that increases the speed of the camera little by little will help. thanks again

harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 03:06
Thanks Carlitos You made my day. I'm going to try your suggestion.

Awfuldark Forest
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 02:15
Quote: "Maybe, a feature that increases the speed of the camera little by little will help."

OK - If you press the control key while touring you'll speed across the matrix. Thanks for the good suggestion. Also, I put back the reflecting water option - not practical, but it looks good.

Awfuldark Forest
fake MacGyver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:04
Can somebody check the "Yods" file? I have the worldmaker, but the "Yods" link seems to not work.

http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/yodszip.exe
fake MacGyver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:08
Ah...I got it; it isn't working from

http://awfuldarkforest.tripod.com/yods.html

but is at

----

Simply put: very nice all-around; thanks
Carlitos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 08:51
COOOOL!!!!

gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:00
is it compatible with dbp

Chaos Games
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 02:27
Quote: "is it compatible with dbp"

Worldmaker and Yods are made with DBPro. Maps you make in Worldmaker can be played in Yods. You don't need DBPro to make maps or play Yods. If you have DBPro, you can use Worldmaker to make maps for your own games.

Quote: "Simply put: very nice all-around; thanks "

Your welcome

Awfuldark Forest
harggood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 07:39
The Awfuldark Forest now has it's own .com ----
http://www.awfuldarkforest.com ----

This is the new url for Worldmaker.
http://www.awfuldarkforest.com/worldmaker.html

The old links should continue working.