Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New pics of my project! - 1/12/02

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just about to post to ask for help, but as I was writing the post I had a brain storm and sorted the thing out (the pickup function)...

Wow, I must say my project is coming along nicely and I've got some great updates to tell you about!

firstly, I've added a new camera mode (existing ones include, locked, drop camera, fly by and internal)... This camera mode allows you with the mouse to circle around the object and zoom in and out! best for lining up to dock or picking up an object!

[img]
http://mysite.freeserve.com/UploadedStuff/junk/spacetest3.JPG[/img]

the next added feature, is a particle explosion effect. This could be used when a ship explodes or an asteroid... Perhaps a nuclear explosion... and although I have no need for it now and coded it when I was stuck on another part, it still looks cool.

The next thing - is bloody wicked... it is a jump gate / wormhole... bascially you go in one side and it teleports you out at the location of the other gate... It gives a great effect and the picture doesn't do it justice... Its an amazing feeling flying into a jump gate in the middle of no where and then coming out the other side and seeing earth infront of you!

This next thing is what makes the teleport truely great! I have made a pickup/drop style system much like games like Iwar2...

For example, if u see a cargo package (as seen in picture) - you fly down to it and then when its just below you you press pickup - it grabs hold of it and lets you take it with you. However and I thought this was quite a good idea, If you accelerate or simply fly away too fast you lose grip on the object and its left behind... To simply drop the object normally you press drop and its left behind. I'm hopefully going to get some sprite effect or something when the tractor beam is on perhaps?

Now this is what is so great You know in most sims, the gates are placed for you and basically the only thing you can effect are other ships and cargo packages... well in this sim, you can move anything (well unless its too big e.g. Massive space station/planet)... basically this means, you could buy a set of jumpgates at a station and have them created in the nano assembler (this hasn't been created yet)... then go hook one of the jumpgate to your ship... fly it to say your favourite planet and fly the other gate to somewhere else (say between 2 of your favorite stations) and they actually work!!!!

Here's a pic of me going to pick up a cargo container and then another pic in the corner of it attached...

This I thought was great! though you guys are probably thinking so what big deal, I just thought it makes my sim so much more realistic giving the players a lot more control!

Could you imagine being able to go to a faction station and buying a player owned station or factory - which is then assembled and you can drag it to where you want... =]

oh and before you ask, yes you can take stuff through the teleport with you, so if your carrying cargo... it does stay with your ship on the other side...

Please people, give me feed back on what you hear/see so far, perhaps suggest new ideas? or better ways of doing things... I'm all open ears and would love to hear your opinions on things.

Now, back to the me asking for help

Several things which are still an issue. Firstly, the engine trail on my ship is leaving large particles flying - when the engine is off.. (see picture 2)... The only solution I can see of changing this is to change the life of the particles to something like 17... sadly though this will make the effect not as great and change the colour from orange to red? if you have any suggestions about this, I'm listening

The other problem is I really need something like a field of random particles to fly through so I can tell which way I'm flying. Though I lack the knowledge to work this out at the moment.

Not so much a problem at the moment, but rather thinking about making the code better for later. Would it be possible for me to use arrays, so that If I want to make 2 gate systems like the ones I currently have

it'd make the objects 7[1] 8[1] and 7[2] 8[2]
xgateA[1]#=45 xgateB[1]#=1230 xgateA[2]#=50 xgateB[2]#=4502

7 and 8 being the (A to B gate) and the [1] and [2] being the set number...

Anotherwords, would it be possible to use arrays to create a set of everything that can be repeated easily...

If yes - do any of you have anything to tell me first that I should keep in mind / possible ways of doing it?

I hope to perhaps have millions of stars and solar systems to explores all in 1 giant universe, but if things aren't drawn/on view - will it run slow if I have a section of the program working out locations of moving objects etc... else where in the universe?

for example trader1 randomly picks places to go... but even tho I can't see him - the x,y,z of his location etc is still being worked out... so that if he does come in range - I will see him...

Thanks for all your help,

Paul J

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:31:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:31:47