Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hey ,I'm new here and have some questions before purchasing Dark Basic

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 01:25
Here's my deal, I am a basic programmer who knows little C++ ,and would like to start on something a little simplier. I figure this would be simplier since I read somewhere "If you have a brain you can use Dark Basic"
,but something with complexity to get some results that I have seen from some of the screenshots on your gallary.

Here is my questions.

1.)Say if you made your program are there any limits to how long you could make your game last.

For ex. You could make a game that would pretty much take the user 30 hours to beat.

2.)Does Dark Pro have everything that Dark Basic has and more features?

3.)T3DGM what's up with it, isn't Dark Basic like the same thing. Or do you use the T3DGM to make your models and objects or something. or is it just a bonus thing you get when you buy the Dark Basic Bundel.

4.)Inifity Textures, is that just what makes the tiles and stuff that appear on the ground. Such as the floor tiles,walls ,and etc.

5.)What do you really need to make a game.Do you have to have everything in the bundle to make a full game DarkBASIC, DarkMATTER, T3DGM, and Cartography Shop.

6.)Is Dark Matter sort of an expansion of Dark Basic where you make more detailed figures ,or do you have to buy it in order to make your characters and so on.

7.)What is the maximum polygon count that Dark Basic can support at one time?

8.)How would the most advanced game made with Dark Basic compare with some of today's top game's on the market.

9.)Are any of the games made by Dark Basic yet out on the market.(Not to put Dark Basic down ,if there are I just wanna see that game to see some of the results by DB.)

To anyone who anwsers these questions I will give you my thank you in advance ,to help someone like me.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 01:29
Oh yes and one other thing. I know I have a lot of questions so if someone could just scan threw them and maybe anwser one ,and let someone anwser another .

Since I know you've probebly anwsered these questions before ,or maybe not know the anwser.

Plus I'd like to save some people there time in there lives.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 02:03
Ok here ya go-
1) You can make your game long, it just may take a while to compile. I have seen complex programs, and not much limitation.

2) DB Pro is good from my experience. I myself, use DB. There are a few bugs with Pro that I am still not comforatable with using it yet. A big advantage to DBpro is TYPES, and lots of others, but from my shorthand knowledge, ive seen that. Its really your choice since your new to either.

3) Well, I have that thing, from my knowledge, its basically a point and click make your own FPS game. In my opinion, it should be used by 5 year olds. I havent used ANY code with T3DGM. I have heard about the modelling, but for modelling, Id go with a real modelling program, like milkshape which is 25 $ and great for beginners.

4) Well, I think that means you can use as many textures with a map as you want. I think that the maximum amount of images that can be loaded is something like 65435 or something around there. Correct me if I am wrong, a large number anyway.

5) To make a game? You just need DB. You dont need DarkMATTER, thats just a bundle of objects. Actually, pretty usefull if you cant model or anything. The Cart Shop is just for making really indoor levels. And I already explained T3DGM.

6) Dark Matter is just a bundle of 3d models that you buy that you can load into DB. If you want your own models, you have to make them with a program like Milkshape.

7) Polycount? Hmmm, well, I suggest around 50,000 polys max if you want to run somewhat smoothly. Im not much with 3d, so I am not the one to ask about this. But 50,000 would probably get around 20 FPS.

8) Ooooo, thats a good one. Not sure. Top game? It could be great! It would probably depend on marketing. DB is capable of making great games, but a REALLY GREAT MARKETABLE game would take years and years to make.

9) Well, I have seen many great games. You can check out my dev. teams site at http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com just for a basic example of what we have done. Our projects is no where near done, and isnt one of the best in DB in no means whatsoever. One of my favorite projects in DB was the Equilibrium game, which is shown in the SHOWCASE gallery. Go to the MojoMagic website and download the techdemos to see what DB can do. The site is under the Equilibrium screenshot pages.

If you need any other help, feel free to contact me any of these ways:

AIM: Johnrocs
Hotmail: TheBedroomProgrammer@hotmail.com
Yahoo: rpggamer8

Or I will be checking back at this post.

I hope this helps you,

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
1) limited to your imagination, and hardrive space :0
2) yea
3)DON'T GET! for baybs...5-8 year olds...
4)I guess...don't have it
5)GET DARKMATTER and if you want Cartography shop..though i think Magic World is ok as is (find it at the show case...free and powerful! )
6)both...it makes DB into DB enhansed AND it contains pro-quility and royalty free (YES!!!!) models and textures
7)clue-less
8)equaly powerful...of course c++ is better but then again you can give them equal power by making Dlls in C++ and putting them into DB
9)MANY! all copyrighted and all...

If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
ha...he posted a few seconds before me... lol

If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 02:59
alright, here we go:

"1.)Say if you made your program are there any limits to how long you could make your game last.

For ex. You could make a game that would pretty much take the user 30 hours to beat. "

You can make your game as long or as short as you want it too be.

"2.)Does Dark Pro have everything that Dark Basic has and more features? "

Yes, of course. DBP is a bit buggy right now, but patch 4, due by the end of this month will probably fix that.

"3.)T3DGM what's up with it, isn't Dark Basic like the same thing. Or do you use the T3DGM to make your models and objects or something. or is it just a bonus thing you get when you buy the Dark Basic Bundle. "

No, T3DGM was programmed in DarkBASIC, and is pretty much useless IMHO. Somehting you buy, try once and never really use again.

"4.)Inifity Textures, is that just what makes the tiles and stuff that appear on the ground. Such as the floor tiles,walls ,and etc. "

Partly. There is two parts to that: One, you need models, two, you need textures to go on the models. Think of it like this: A model is a naked "body". The texture is it's "clothes". Infinity textures will make the images to "cloth" your models.

"5.)What do you really need to make a game.Do you have to have everything in the bundle to make a full game DarkBASIC, DarkMATTER, T3DGM, and Cartography Shop. "

Er... not really. If you only used media that comes with the bundle pack, then I guess so yes. But if you wanted to make a GOOD game, you'd have to get a modellor, and good graphics package, etc.

"6.)Is Dark Matter sort of an expansion of Dark Basic where you make more detailed figures ,or do you have to buy it in order to make your characters and so on. "

DarkMATTER doesn't make charactors. Neither does DarkBASIC. You need a third party modellor for that.

"7.)What is the maximum polygon count that Dark Basic can support at one time? "

There is no maximum, but I'd say to get a decent speed, stay below 10000.

"8.)How would the most advanced game made with Dark Basic compare with some of today's top game's on the market. "

Hmm... not too well I guess. It is possible to make a game like the top games on the market of course, but no one has done it yet. If I were you, I'd check out Star Wraith 3, www.starwraith.com

"9.)Are any of the games made by Dark Basic yet out on the market.(Not to put Dark Basic down ,if there are I just wanna see that game to see some of the results by DB.) "
Yes, but I believe only one is in stores, the others are available online.

"To anyone who anwsers these questions I will give you my thank you in advance ,to help someone like me."

No problem

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 03:18
Ty for the info.

I love games
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 03:58
I think we all said just about the same thing Does anyone have any info on this rumor that you can model with T3DGM?? Maybe Ill snag from models from there

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
yes...replace the kdels in T3DGM with the ones you want and replace the mug shot pic with the one you want

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:19:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:19:27