Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DB and GUI

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just thinking about how I want my menus in my game to look. And I was thinking that I have never really seen any nice gui menu's in db that people have made. I'm not saying that the ones I have seen were bad, I'm saying I have never seen any menus lol. I am talking about menus in games like Lineage(if anyone has ever heard of that). Mainly inventory screens and things like that. If anyone has any idea of how I would go about this, I'd appreciate your help. I am thinking that I would make a .bmp of the menu or whatever, inevitably, I would have to make some kind of image for the menu I wanted. Thanks again, and I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say lol.
I am the very disease you pretend to be.
jotomicron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 15:22
You could make a plain object and LOCK it ON. Then texture it and set all parts drawn black to disapear.

Adjust it on the screen, and, with some new stuff, you could make a nice GUI.

I think it's the only way, but it's fine.

If you try it and it is good, tell me something, ok?
Thnx
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 15:50
Lock object is NOT the only way.

Personally,and contrarly to other people,I use sprites even on top of 3D...My card does allow lots of them without degradation of performances.

Advantages of Plains/Planes:Faster(for most),uses the filtering on the texture,can be used in 3d space in other ways like fading,hiding and better looking code-animations

Disadvantages of plain:Textures come out destroyed(IMHO)
use text on a plain texture you'll see what I mean,The coordinate system is in 3d so you need a little playing to position it or make a function that'll convert them to 2D screen coordinates,you'll also need to code it effectively(using collisions or distance) so it doesn't go through objects and the rest.

Advantages of Sprites,2D on-screen coordinates,Textures/images come out almost as clean as they are on the BMP,DBPro loves them and has many related commands

Disadvantages of SPRITES:Slow as hell!!! on many 3d cards(even some recent ones)

Since my card supports them quite good over 3D,I'm sticking with the solution withless disadvantages...I'm not saying I'm not using any plains though,just what I want to look/come out better

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
jotomicron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 17:20
Thanks actarus. Your explanaition was really good!
I'll try and see if my PC slows down.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 15:31:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 15:31:54