Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / A Quick problem and workaround?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 01:26
In DBPro when I try and use the 'set object collision to polygons x' command, it hangs my program. I am guessing this is because of a bug? Does anyone else have this problem?

The reason I was trying to use it is that I have a 'level' created as a *.x file, which contains walls, trees etc. and rather than saving these all as separate objects and check for collisions with them, I wanted to just group them all as one large 'level' object, and check for a collision with that.

So: I load the object into DBPro, and create a simple primitive cube with which to test this. I position the cube floating in the middle of the 'level' object, not touching any walls, floor etc. I expected DBPro to detect no collision, but it did... When I moved the cube completely away from the level there was no collision detected.

I guessed that this was because it was using some form of standard 'box' collision detection for the level, and tried to change it to polygon collision detection, and it was then it started to hang. If I run in step through, its when it reaches the 'set object collision to polygons x' command.

Is there an obvious work-around for this problem, or should I just separate the level into multiple walls & objects and check for separate box collisions?

Hope you can understand what I mean, any input MOST appreciated!
* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm it sounds like maybe you have alot of polys in your .x file and the amount of work generated by the "Set Object collision To Polygons" command is just too great, thefore hangs your system.

Collisions are are complex game but have you thought of Creating hidden boxes to the dimension of each limb in your .x model and using standard box collision on them? IE your player collides with a hidden box placed invisibly around each limb in your scene - not very accurate but maybe good enough for trees and other such objects.

Personally I can't get Limb commands to work in DBPro but in theory the above should work.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 13:38
Thanks that's a good idea. I had thought of that, it just gives less flexibility for quickly loading different levels without adding extra programming, but it may very well be the route I take.

However its not a memory issue, because just trying to set poly collision on two primative cubes hangs it as well

It seems different commands randomly hang different ppls computers? Oh well, I hope this can be worked around soon, the patches keep comin thick and fast

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 19:18:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 19:18:00