Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Jetpack Demo WIP screens

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 01:07
I'm working on a demo of jetpack physics. Eventually I'd like to make it a cross between Pilotwings and Quake.
I have a few things left to add into the demo before I will post one.
Things to add in/fix:
1. Fix up the flying movement.
2. Add checkpoints (training mode)
3. Add weapons/armor to pick up
4. Re-fueling station
5. Add AI/Multiplayer

Some screenshots:

-Kensupen
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 01:43
wow! that's one cool city. Can't wait to play the demo and test your jetpack physics I was planning on adding a jetpack to one of my next games, any chance you'd be handing out source code?

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 02:19
The graphics are great. I cant wait to play it too!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 03:30
hehee looks interesting... any particle effects for the jetpack yet?

what you wanna go for sounds like Outcast anyone remember that? and no i don't mean JK2
I never got past like level 3 on it, but was alot of fun multiplayer

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
striker25
Years of Service
User Offline
outcast was awsome

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 09:53
Hehe, awesome - sorta like that LA Rumble level on Duke Nukem 3D, with the jetpacs and stuff. It'd be nice to be able to fly through some windows into little rooms though - wide open games like that can be too quick, nice to have somewhere to hide too.

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 10:43
hehee yeah that'd be awesome ...
:: smash :: don't mind me i'm just hiding from the guy with the rocket launcher

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 03:49
99 fps!!! looks great
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 07:06
I had to slow it down. I have it locked at that, otherwise it's too damn fast to control on my system. I think I get over 200 with sync rate 0.

I have to redo my jetpack physics. They are all screwed up. If anyone has a code snippet of the old asteroids ship, I can use that. I need to figure out a better way to control inertia vs. thrust in a new direction.

After I get that worked out, I'll release a Gameplay/Training demo so people can test out the physics and how to control the jetpack. I'll also have rotating rings for you to fly through to test how well you fly.

No weapons will be in the demo. =( Sorry.

-Kensupen
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 08:29
hey you should run the main loop against a timer rather than FPS, it helps to have the best possible FPS and still have the same control speed regardless (^_^)

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 10:55
Raven, that would really accomplish nothing seeing is how the screen would still only update 99 times per second. It would just basically post the same screen twice. Different idea though. I can use that for multiplayer games.

I have the physics re-programmed in a separate project. They are like 100x better now, I just have to implement them into the main program now. I should have a Demo available sometime later today. (Dec. 6th)

Other things left to add in for the demo:
1. Rings to fly through
2. Timer to keep score of best times
3. Add a penalty counter for hitting buildings, landing early and going out of bounds
4. Finish the fuel gauge
5. Finish the map
6. Make graphics for misc. actions in the game.

Maybe more, I gotta head to bed for now.

-Kensupen
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 11:29
Hehe, It's cool Vegeta, I know what you mean.

If you move your player depending on how much time has elapsed since the last sunc, you can move the objects at an independent speed, meaning fast PC's will be smooth as hell (like 200fps), but slow PC's can still play. Also, often very important, it helps mask the little lags that can appear in your DB stuff, often for unknown reasons.

The easiest method is to make a timer tag, and a multiplier, ohh and don't forget to set the SYNC RATE 0. The tag stores the last time at the sync:

TIMERTAG=Timer()

and the multiplier:

TIMERMULT#=(Timer()-TIMERTAG)/1000.000

Something like this anyway, the TIMERTAG should be after it calculates TIMERMULT#.

Now you use it by specifying the units per second, like MOVE OBJECT 1,Timermult#*5.000 would move object 1 5 units per second.

This is all pseudo remember, you'd have to experiment, but it's how the pro's do it.

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 21:22
ya... Van got it (^_^)

its kinda what i've picked up from TMC's Offroad code release, and although that actually probably the simplest way you can work it to you own needs

I mean even with a locked FPS you're still looking at 5fps variance, 10 above 100 and 20 above 150

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:35:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:35:16