Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / A Problem with level object Yaxis collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been at this for weeks now and it's starting to get my goat to say the least.., any help would be very much appreciated, here's the problem I am facing and what I have done so far..

I need to get smooth flowing height collision from a player object travelling over a level object, the level object is paths, surrounding land, hills and a valley.

The Problem is getting a decsent height collision from the player to the level object and letting the player move smoothly over the various height ranges in the level object.

I have a probe (small sphere) which I send regularly in decrements to the level object when it collides I then reposition the player object so it is standing on the ground (or near it) and then reposition the probe and start the process again, the main problem is that the collision is not always detected, it detects the height of the level at intervals (presumably polygon edges) this produces a step like action from the player object stepping up or down to the next height difference in the level that the player is heading towards, if the part of the level was a slope for instance, instead of a smooth flow up the gradient like this /, it would collide at the bottom _ then again at the top -, leaving move like this ____|-----, does anyone have any idea's of how I would get around this problem?

I have tried for/next loops that divide the move into 10 and increment or decrement the height difference between the last player y position and the "to be" y position by a division of 10 but this only makes the steps smaller not smooth and slows the program down alot to boot..
1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 12:02:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 12:02:54