Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / walking up stairs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How can you program to db to walk up stair. By that I mean have your character move up on the y axis when it comes in collision with a step. Should I set a conditional so it just positions the object up when it touches a step; although that would then create a problem of going down steps. Is there some sort of equation I can use or an easier way?
thanks
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 07:58
Wait til they fix the BSP speed then it does it automatically. Other than that, you'd have to use a lot of math checks to make sure it's a step and not a wall.

-Kensupen
Jinks
Years of Service
User Offline
"Wait til they fix the BSP speed". When will that happen?

Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
If you know the height of the floor where your player is and where he will be then you can check if the change is within what allowable for a step (as opposed to a wall) and move the player up (or down) ass appropriate.

Is this what you were asking??
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
if you make an object(probe), a simple sphere will do, and place it at the players coordinates (continually updating these of course) and have it drop on it's y axis every move, if you check for a collision with the ground or step objects with this probe, you can get the height of the probe on the collision and then set the players height accordingly, after a collision reset the object at the player height and start the process again.. this basically allows for constant height checking and will adjust the height of the player without changing the x and z movement of the player

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
mimesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 00:37
That wont work without doing a sync for every y step
of the 'probe' object for checking collision with the bsp.
That means that the check is not real-time but spans over
several frames to accomplish, wich is not acceptable for this type of use.
Nah, do as they tell ya ,wait until its fixed!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 05:36
Could it not be done like a ramp instead of the stairs? And later set the stairs in there wihtout collisions? Would not be acurated but would to the job I guess ? Sorry, I never needed stairs in my games

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
mimesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 06:01
That works perfectly well, but then again u have to mess with positioning matrixes inside the bsp. When u work with bsp maps u really are looking for a complete map solution.

I'm waiting for the BSP COLLISION HIT() set of commands
to get fixed, so I can get the stairs\gravity\falling thing to work in my FPS game project, but right now I'm stuck so I've gone back to the roots with some simple 2D
game programming where I find DBP to perform well.

I really dont know if Dental Republic is using bsp, if not then ramps are fine

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 13:11:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 13:11:31