Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What level editors can I use

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm thinking of buying DBPro, but I'm wondering which level editors I can use. Since WorldCraft and Radiant have to be licensed, I can't use them for commercial projects(unless I pay, of course). Does anyone have suggestions?
JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 21:14
The only one I know that's totally license free
is Qoole in fact it's open source,problem with it
though it appears to convert all textures to 8Bit.
http://www.volved.com/qsr/download.shtml

JimB

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Magic World is the best and is free, if someone suggests MATEdit then don't listen to them cause MatEdit freezes, sucks and so on.
Magic world is NOT LIMITED and included extra features difficult to do in DB...find it at the darkbasic.com showcase

If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
Sentinel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks TGWDNGHN. I'm downloading Magic World right now and I'll try it out. Has anyone here used LevelMaker3D and 3D Map Editor? I'm wondering how they compare with Magic World.

Sentinel
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I downloaded all three editors and I don't like any of them. Maybe it's just me, but I'm used to building levels
with windows showing the top and side of the level, not just the 3D view. I think I'll stick with Quark. I asked id software about licensing Q3Radiant, and just as I thought, it isn't cheap; $5,000, or $10,000 if I want to redistribute
it with my game. Oh well, it never hurts to ask.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 03:29
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO USE MATEDIT!!!!! SO MANY MORE FEATURES THAN MAGIC WORLD!! ALL THE SAME PLUS MORE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
WWW.MATEDIT.COM

SEE FOR YOURSELF!!!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
lol I see we have a fan for matedit

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 01:31
If your building BSP type worlds use QUARK. If outdoor areas use one of the above listed i prefer magic world but matedit seems to be popular as well.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 01:55
I have used both matedit and Magic World, and each has its high and low points, but in the end I chose Magic World.

What magic world can do that MatEdit Can't:
•Matedit only lets you raise or lower 1 tile at a time. MagicWorld lets you raise sections to create realistically curved hills, instead of eyeballing it in MatEdit

•You can change the size of the tile editer in MagicWorld (so your cursor gets bigger or smaller depending on how much area you want to edit at once)

•MagicWorld can handle multiple matricies in a better fashion than MatEdit can.

•MagicWorld lets you define the aspects of the matrix while editing, you can only define the matrix in MatEdit when you first start off.

•MW has a better file explorer than ME. Its much easier to find a texture in MW in your files.

•MW has more functions that ME, such as create path, jetpack view mode AND walk mode, you can take screenshots with MW simply by clicking, and not with ME. And it can "craig" so the area you select is randomly moved up or down very slightly to give the matrix a rugged landscape effect.

•MW can load ME files, but not vice versa.

•MW has the versitale but slightly confusing texture blend ability to create realisitc transitions between tiles, where in MatEdit it looks very jumpy.

•MW has a much better camera system.

•MW lets you import objects and place them on the terrain, and ME has nothing like that. MW also lets you place object primitaves in the level and edit their properties.

•MW can deal with multiple matricies, and I dont think ME can.

The only thing I dont like about MW is that if you want to use multiple textures, they have to be in the same file to start off. In MatEdit you can import them seperately and they are compiled only when the matrix is exported. But MagicWorld is still much, MUCH better
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 02:39
Uhhhhhhhh ya,

ME Matrices rules!!!
(Billy Madision takeoff)

Ya You got some points, I just like matedit, but hey!Some say Im a weird kid! Lol

RPGamer

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 06:27
MW is still better than ME, regardless of personal preference
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 08:15
QuothTheRaven:

OK, if you don't like a program - great, I respect your right to like or use what you want. Other users should be free to do the same.

What I object to is you spouting misleading information which could deter other users from even trying MatEdit.

For example:

"•Matedit only lets you raise or lower 1 tile at a time. MagicWorld lets you raise sections to create realistically curved hills, instead of eyeballing it in MatEdit"

Wrong! You can highlight an area of the matrix to create random height areas, hills, valleys, ramps, lakes, mountain ranges and more.

"•MagicWorld lets you define the aspects of the matrix while editing, you can only define the matrix in MatEdit when you first start off."

Wrong again! At any time, you can increase or decrease the dimensions of your matrix.

"•MW has a better file explorer than ME. Its much easier to find a texture in MW in your files."

Not sure what you are saying here. With MatEdit, you simply put all of your textures in a single location and the Media Browser copies those that are required into the project directory. Textures can be added at any time - on the fly - without re-loading the matrix.

"•MW can load ME files, but not vice versa."

Oh that's a good one! If MW was written after MatEdit, how could that be possible. Can you load a MSWord6 document into MSWord5?

"•MW lets you import objects and place them on the terrain, and ME has nothing like that. MW also lets you place object primitaves in the level and edit their properties."

That's because MatEdit is a MATRIX EDITOR and MW is a WORLD EDITOR. MatEdit has never claimed to be a world editor - it is only for creating matrices!

"•MagicWorld can handle multiple matricies in a better fashion than MatEdit can." and...

"•MW can deal with multiple matricies, and I dont think ME can."

A contradiction here I think. If you take the latter option, then all the users who are creating multiple matrix landscapes with MatEdit are all dreaming. ??

OK, I appreciate your decision to use MW - after all, it is an excellent program. I also appreciate your right to say what you think about MatEdit and that you don't like it, but please be sure of your facts before writing comments on what it will or won't do - especially if you haven't RTFM!

TDK
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
not intending to flame things up or anything, but if you can have a world editor that also handles matrixes very well, isnt that alone a reason not to use a matrix editor only?

I used both, but not extensively.... what I noticed was that when I loded a matrix made in matedit into a DB PRo program, my textures got messed up. It worked fine with darkbasic.

I also do agree that Magic world prodeces curvier looking terrain, the ability to make the textures automaticaly blend is also great, but it is rather difficult to create the base texture.

MatEdit, as the author claims is the easier to use. The author also clearly states that it is not the most powerful program out there and that his intention was ease of use. Good enough for beginers I guess, since they dont care about features much.

I was very anoyed with magic world, but maybe because I could not figure it out... but I felt the editting area was way too small on the screen. TOo much space is taken up by the interface, in my opinion, it even makes it almost impossible to work on multiple matrixes just because you cant see enough of it at a time.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 14:06
A point certain people may be missing although MagicWorld has been around for a while and is good,it IS NOT anymore in devlopement,contrarly to MatEdit...AFAIK

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 02:23
For a smooth matrix in matedit, try the Normalise option

MatEdit rules IMHO Im behind ya all the way TDK!!!

RPGamer

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 05:29
Hilmi2k:

As you discovered, MatEdit isn't compatible with DB Pro. I don't have DBP yet - still waiting for my copy to arrive!

When I do get it, I will be releasing a DB Pro patched version of V1.6 and then getting started on V2 which will be re-written from scratch (and probably using windows instead of full screen).

MatEdit V1.0 was written a long time ago. Most world editors appeared later and were made MatEdit compatible. None had matrix abilities until Robin's Magic World came along.

When MatEdit became V1.6, most world editor authors had abandoned developing their software and as such, none of the world editors were compatible with MatEdit V1.6.

The latest version of MatEdit (V1.6f) has been on the MatEdit web site a few weeks now, but as I've not announced it, I guess few of you will have downloaded it.

Strictly speaking, V1.6 isn't being developed any further as V2 is in the pipeline, but if anyone reports any bugs, I will fix them and release another 'letter' upgrade.

That's one of the things that annoys me. Users will go onto forums and say that MatEdit is crap, has many bugs and is too slow. So when did they e-mail me with a bug report to let me know what happened? They don't, they just complain on the forums.

How much did they pay for the software to get tech support eh? It's not like I owe them anything - it's free for god's sake.

I can't fix bugs if they aren't reported. I can use it for hours without a hitch, but I know how to use it, so my only option is to wait for bug reports.

Sorry for the rant, but I've spent a lot of time writing a piece of software for others to use. Nobody has to like it or even use it. All I ask is that people don't slag it off for no reason - it makes people think that it isn't worth looking at.

TDK
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 09:56
Hey guys after reading this thread i agree with TDK - dont slag another software product when someone has put a lot of effort into it and gives it away freely its pretty lame. I for one have used most of the editors at one time or another and all have good and sticky points. I found bothe Matedit and MW excellent editors and bothe worthy of mention for any person to use as a level tool.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 15:22
Agreed,I suggest people to look around and ask questions before claiming anything such,plus,YOU don't know the chance you have to talk the coder/creator directly contrarly to higher end software which you'll talk on the phone(paid) and get the answers off the manual or some obvious FAQ that the technicians read to you...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
TDK, I hope it wasnt my post that got you flared up, I tried my best to be as constructive as possible in my critissism

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 03:54
Hilmi2k:

No not at all. I found your comments fair enough.

I'll give you all a clue:

"Magic World is the best and is free, if someone suggests MATEdit then don't listen to them cause MatEdit freezes, sucks and so on. Magic world is NOT LIMITED and included extra features difficult to do in DB...find it at the darkbasic.com showcase" - In this thread.

"MAGIC WORL is so much better and so easy to use conpared to MatEDIT, you can get it at the DB showcase!" - In the DarkBASIC Discussion: 'level help' thread.

"why waste your time on the sucky MatEDIT? it totaly sucks, has many bugs, and is SLOOOOOOW! Use Magic World...its free, easy to use, 0 bugs, and is not limited but actually has extra features such as auto tiling (auto transition between terrain types, example: concrete to grass, water to sand)." - In the DarkBASIC Discussion: Using MatEdits LoadMatrix thread.

There are probably more, but you get the picture...

TDK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:55:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:55:49