Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 03:14
Hi again.
I used to make fences in db (chickenwire or boards or whatever) by drawing the fence onto a black background. Then i would texture a plain in 3dmax with the fence image and when loaded in the game i set the transparency parameter of the object so that the black background was invisible.
This does not work in dbpro for me. The transparency setting has no effect....
i added "set image colorkey 0,0,0" to my code when i first encountered the problem but it did not help.
I have checked the rgb of the background color. It is 0,0,0.
Am i missing something?
Anyone know whats going on here?
AsylumHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 03:27
I'm having other unrelated transparency issues (draw order of ghost objects always draws to back). As for your particular problem, I've had none of these particular issues with patch3.1, however, unless you have already done so, I'd make sure you have the latest DirectX and Video card drivers for your system.

Other than that, I hope the DBPro team are reading this.

my specs are 2ghz XP SP1, 4600ti

AsylumHunter

still falling out of my binary tree most evenings (hicup!)
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 15:06
I have the ghosting problem also, but the setting the transparency of objects/plains/sprites to sheer black works perfectly. Is any1 else having this problems, because many of my projects rely on black transparency to lower the polycount and now I am thinking maybe I should try another method if its gonna cause comaptibilty problems?

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 17:02
I heard that Patch 3 fixes this problem. Did you guys try it?

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 21:42
It seems i still get it after patch 3.1
what was improved over patch 2 (in my very case) is that the textured plane no more clips the 3D objects behind..
But one plane of the tree clips the other one seen from an angle
I noticed, tho, that the weird effect is on one side only of the plane, looking from the other side seems transparency seems ok..
Something to do with culling or material properties of the plane (2 sided as opposed to 1 sided) ?
Dunno
I have not experimented all alternatives yet...

Too bad i can 't figure how to post a pic here to show you

cheers
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 16:25
I had a very interesting problem while I was experimenting around with texture transparency.

I tried to create texture with alpha channel and saved it as a TGA file. Then I try to create some sphere primitives and texture it with that TGA file.

It seems to me that the order of object creation affect the texture transparency, i.e. the object that created later cannot have transparency over the object that created earlier, BUT the reverse is opposite.

For example, in the following code snippet:

make object sphere 1, 50
make object sphere 2, 50
make object sphere 3, 50
make object sphere 4, 50
make object sphere 5, 50

All these spheres are texture mapped with the TGA file that has alpha channel (partially transparent). I position the sphere in a row by lining up them one after another. As I move my camera around, I observed that:

- I can see thru sphere 2 and get sphere 3 till sphere 5.
- I can't see thru sphere 2 to get sphere 1.
- I can see thru sphere 3 and get sphere 4 and sphere 5.
- I can't see thru sphere 3 to get sphere 1 and sphere 2.
- I can't see thru sphere 5 to get sphere 1 till sphere 4.

Funny eh? If anybody interested in getting the source code for this experiment, just tell me. I am wondering is this a bug in DBpro?

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 17:51
I'm using the 3rd patch and its fine but b4 that transparancy didn't work

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:53:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:53:00