Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Questions about the BSP compiler

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering about the quality of DBPro's BSP compiler. I know you can import the BSP format from Quake 3, but unless you license the Q3 technology from id, you can't use it in a commercial game.

My question is: Does DBPro have it's own shadow maps\light maps, etc? If I were to make a level in Q3Radiant(for example), with those type of lighting fx, can I compile
the BSP in DBPro, and have it look as good as though I compiled it with Q3Radiant? Well, maybe not as good, but you know what I mean.

This would be a major decision maker for me about buying DBPro. It has a great set of features, but if it can't compile the BSP, then it's no good to me for making commercial games.

Thanks for any information on this subject.
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 10:22
Yes DBPro will have its own light and shadow maps in the bsp compile. It compiles bsp's from the x format giving no restrictions as for other bsp's there technology is owned by the respective owners. DBP is making an internal change to 3d objects in the next set of patches with the dbo format which will allow all sorts of effects to be applied to any 3d object as they are treated in the same manner this would be a jump above what can be done in bsp creators so should allow all the effects you want. t present the bsp compiler needs a bit more work but its coming along nicly.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
Sentinel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the quick reply. In Quark, you can save your level as a .map file. Since DBPro doesn't support this format, is there a program that will convert .map files to .x files? I've looked around, but couldn't find one. Could be I just didn't look around enough though.

I just want to make sure I make the right decision before buying DBPro because it would mean learning the limitations of a new engine and learning a new language.

What I'd like to see is a demo of a first-person shooter using a BSP compiled with DBPro. I've checked out the room demo and even though it was fairly simple, I still saw the potential. The camera moved too slow, but I'm sure that could be fixed with some coding.

Basically, I just want to see what the levels look like compiled with DBPro. It doesn't even have to be a FPS, just some rooms put together with some entities and maybe some NPCs moving around. That way I could check out the look of the level as well as the framerate, collision detection, etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 20:30:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 20:30:20