Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBPro] Halo style loading screen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 13:46 Edited at: 11th May 2004 14:33
Hiya all,

Here's a little test I did yesterday trying to mimic the weird projected loading screen from Halo. The screen shot really does it no justice you have to see it in action, but don't use this screenie as the loader, make your own to test it (you'd end up with a very muggy results if you used that). I reckon subtle backdrops with strong white text looks best. You simply call the function like below with the percentage of the load, it gives a weird sorta focus point along all the madness of the glow. Just test it for all the time it'll take ya'll .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 14:02
Van-B, that looks very cool indeed

You really like Halo, don't you

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 16:30
Quickly on the subject: Halo 2 will beat Killzone hands down. Haha.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2004 19:47 Edited at: 6th May 2004 19:49
Sweet! ...can i use it in my game?

long live Halo!

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 11:14
I'm playing through Halo for the 7th time - It still strikes me that even brand spanking new xbox games (like Unreal2 for instance) can't match the graphical quality of Halo. Halo2 will rule!

Magellan,
Of course you can use it in your game. Viva-la Halo.

Van-B

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 19:39
Very cool! I made a two way version (very hard it was too ), although I don't think it has quite as good an effect.

Also I don't know why, but the sprites keep becoming un-transparent when I move the mouse near the edge. It happens randomly, not every time.

Trying is the first step towards faliure.
Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2004 22:14
Quote: "Also I don't know why, but the sprites keep becoming un-transparent when I move the mouse near the edge. It happens randomly, not every time.
"

that happened to me to

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 14:32
Ahh, I noticed that yesterday when messing around with it, check the fixed code (first post edited) - just an unruly mouse position I think.

Van-B

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 13:48
Van B, love it. looks cool. won't use it, but it looks cool. good job

Quote: "It still strikes me that even brand spanking new xbox games (like Unreal2 for instance) can't match the graphical quality of Halo"

yeah, true dat, but Unreal2 was originally for PC (and came out on PC last year). Funny how the Unreal2 box says "Only for XBox". lol. what are they gonna do? tell everyone who bought the PC version to burn them?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 14:49
Yeah, I remember all the chatter in Gen Disc about how cool it was and it's amazing storyline etc etc

Well I like Unreal2, but the storyline is pants, the graphics are great, but the animation sucks. It's really just an emotional crutch until I can go out and buy HL2, Doom3 and of course... Halo2. I find games packaging too deceptive these days, I mean insinuating that it's only out on X-Box when it's been out on PC for ages is a marketing ploy, but it won't make too much of a difference to people buying it (PC FPS fans will already know it out on PC) - If I buy a game that states 4-players though, I expect to be playing 4-player deathmatch before teatime - I actually bought a game like that, turned out you need to link 2 boxes together to get 4 players, Tony Hawks 3 I think it was.

I was damn close to buying the PC version of Halo last weekend even though my paltry GF2 1.1ghz Athlon would choke on it - just because they are giving away a Master Chief action figure with it (it's about 5" tall though and looks great). When I get paid I don't think I'll be able to resist it - how much of a marketing-ploy sheep am I!.

bahhhhh,

Van-B

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 15:22 Edited at: 14th May 2004 15:23
Groovy. Nice work.

I agree with you about Halo too, it's awesome.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 18:36
Quote: "I was damn close to buying the PC version of Halo last weekend even though my paltry GF2 1.1ghz Athlon would choke on it"

also the PC version is "updated"...i think it lets you drive another vehicle and a few other things

Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 18:33
Hooray for Halo! Look for me, I'm [A-S]Sparda

There 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
MrNick
Years of Service
User Offline
looks sweet, i love Halo

I don't play games ... I make them. So play them yourself...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 18:03
I think it might loose a little of it's charm on the PC though - the thing I adore about Halo is the co-op mode, I love playing co-op games where you have to strategise with your buddy and work together to kill the enemies - PC games are too damn quick to loose that element and replace it with online features that most customers will never see. It's like you enjoy wiping out the aliens more with a buddy, in 1 player mode I find myself just zipping through the levels without really enjoying it. I have Unreal2 to play through in co-op mode to keep me going at least, well - until Halo2.

Van-B

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 18:13
have you seen the demo\movie that came out during e3(for halo2 of course ) it'
s awesome!!!!

if you want to watch it then go to bungies site

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2004 03:08
very cool van-b

if you get halo pc you can then download halo ce (custom edition) which supports custom maps and stuff, with ce you can download maps from places online (www.halomods.com is a start although i think most of the maps here are for use with normal halo)
you make maps for halo ce using the HEK and 3ds-max 4,5 or 6 although someone is making an exporter for gmax instead.

someone will possibly successfully make a halo coop over lan with the hek

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 20:19:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 20:19:57