Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Death Bed : FPS Demo released as promised :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 02:58 Edited at: 15th May 2004 16:39
[EDIT] Important Notice

Thanks guys, this forum post has been really useful to me, for establishing bugs and issues. However I am now officially retiring this post, for the simple reason that all the bugs and issues with this demo have now been fixed, and I'll release a new version for testing soon. Anyone is welcome to download the current demo from the site out of curiosity, but posting problems with it won't be useful as of tomorrow, cos I'll have fixed all the major issues

I supose this should never really have been posted in Program Announcements, as its more of a Work in Progress. I shall start a new thread in Work in Progress forums, where I shall post when I make improvements and updates so everyone can see the progress being made. I will from time to time release new demos for bug and speed testing there too, I won't start a new thread in Program Announcements until this games is Finished and ready for download

Thanks for all the help, it has been invlauable. Each and every1 of you will get a mention in the Thanks to section of the credits
[/EDIT] OLD POST BELOW

Thumbnails, larger screenshots on site:

Download Demo from Cruddy Website (needs work!!!) Here: http://www.deathbed.co.uk Its about 15Mb ZIP

Oki by my time its 5 to midnight as I post this, I promised I would post this on Monday and so help me I have lol.

Some of you will have seen this on the Work in Progress forums, basically I was bet that a good looking high-spec game couldn't be produced in a week by a friend of mine, so I thought I would take a week off to prove him wrong. Within a week I'd put together a quite decent FPS prototype, and Iwon my bet. That was last Wednesday, and since then I've been trying to get a domain name, webspace and, more challengingly, get it to work on anybody else's pc other than mine My sloppy programming meant that many files randomly placed around my hard-drive were needed to run it and not included in the exe

Hopefully though the demo on the site above WILL work on some other people's PCs, so give it a try and if it doesn't, I'll go back to the drawing board

Unfortunately the demo posted is not quite as cool as the one I made last Wednesday, because since then I've been trying to improve the odd thing as I go and have turned off various options. Also I didn't want the download to be enormous and cost be a fortune in Bandwidth beofre I have a chance of paying for it lol PLEASE read the quick notes on the demo section of the website before going "why doesn't this work" or "how do you..."

I apologize for the chugging frame rate that some users will enevitably get, I'm not the most efficient of coders, especially when rushed. However, frame rates will improve as I continue to develop this game. Obviousky setting the graphic effects and resolution lower will speed things up. Oh and "pixel sharp" mode is simply full screen exclusive!

Hopefully over the next month or two I can develop this game properly into a cool finished product, and release it as a budget game. Enjoy the demo, and for those still wondering who I am, check the old WIP forum post

Cheers, Sam

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 03:43
d/ling now

---
ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 03:48
got to the menu, but got this error:

could not load image at line 2327

looks like you forgot to include somthing :/

---
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 03:55 Edited at: 11th May 2004 04:14
Sorry, my stupid fault, I had left a picture for the projectiles in a fixed directory when I was altering things today. I've just gone into the code and remmed out the projectiles until next time. hopefully this should work now, I can't get any similar errors on any of my pcs now

Problem fixed Demo version 0.1b there now.

If the appocalypse comes, email me
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
all i get is a very small black window titled "dark basic pro project". i can use the x to close it and the _ to minimize it but i don't see any game. too bad, cause it looks really nice, and i'd love to try it. i'm using winme if that makes a difference.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net. we like orange treble clef notes, just for future reference.

no: website for progs yet.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 05:47
Very awsome... deffinitly bugs as stated but wow... very big potential!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 06:32
dammit, why didn't I check the forum last night before I went to bed!! now I'm at work and can't try it until tonight
hopefully it'll work on my system

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 06:44
Sorry for sounding stupid but.. What are the controls? Is there a flashlight?

When I started the game, the guy was running in place.. So I went out the door he was going for and it was pitch black I couldn't see anything. Sorry for being so ignorant but I didn't see a readme in the download (nor the controls on the web). Thanks.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 08:11 Edited at: 11th May 2004 08:31
runtime error 3503 - Music already exists at line 802 here just before it starts

[Edit] reloaded and it worked. How do you exit the game?

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
Hexagram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 12:29
I get the same error as nightgiant, the small black box which doesnt do anything

I climbed Everest and all i got was this lousy T-Shirt
Cypher Hax0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 12:52
u have to wait, if u have a slow computer then you have to wait for
it to load.

i get this error
runtime error 3503 - Music already exists at line 802 here just before it starts
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 13:09
"Music Already exists error" after starting a new arcade game.

Tried again and got:

"Could not find path at line 2972"

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Hexagram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 13:30
It doesn't load, it closes

Hexagram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 14:36
Now i got the runtime error 3503 - Music already exists at line 802

Overdroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep,
I get the same error (music already exists). The intro screens are cool though. And I like the music.

"If you want an audience, start a fight."
- Gaelic Proverb
Hexagram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 14:48
I ran it again and it worked without the music error. When i played it there was stuff wrong too. All the enemies just stood around doing nothing and, i dont know if your meant to but if you hold space you fly. I don't think you can hurt the enimies either.

WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 15:56
I got all the music error as mentioned above - I am running P4 2.4Ghz, 64MB GeForce 4 GFX, 512 MB of RAM.

Nice intro by the way, and music. I see that there's going to be a full version of this. Oh, you should incorporate a skip button, like mouse click or space or enter or all three! It get boring once you've seen the intro two or three times.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 16:45
escape key skips the intro.

"People don't fail ..... they stop trying." Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Windows XP Pro Full
Joncom2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice and dark, can't see a thing, the enemies all run on the spot and the framerate makes a spectrum look fast. Needs alot more work before I would call it
Quote: "a quite decent FPS prototype"

I think you have done well for a week but I would not say you won that bet as its not even playable yet.
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
just tried it again . . . . 32 bit color *sniffle*. damn, looked nice.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net. we like orange treble clef notes, just for future reference.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 18:22
hehee ... you know in the thread i thought you were mike until you posted on your old name ^_^

downloading now, will just have to see how it stands up

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 00:19 Edited at: 12th May 2004 00:26
Wow lots of replies, thanks to everyone whos tried this out, sorry to those who've had trouble. Now I will try and answer each and every query: Apologies if I miss something though, its not on purpose

Common Problems :
"small black box which doesnt do anything"
The black box should only be there whilst the files unpack, on my pc this takes all of about 2 seconds. On slower pcs I guess it'd be slower, perhaps on non XP operating systems too. Hopefully though if you wait the box should turn to a windows app. The only reason I can think of for it too crash is if the drive you are installing it on is either very near full or write protected. You should only need a maximum of 30Mb space free on the drive for it to decompile then clear it, although I should have mentioned this initially, I apologise it slipped my mind. Perhaps there's a bug in my unpacking code, but I've tried this on 8 pcs personally and can't replicate the problem, althouh my old 1.1Ghz Machine takes a good few minutes trying to do it. For the next release the blackness will be replaced with a percentage loading bar, I didn't realise on some systems it would slow down so much. Perhaps also low ammounts of ram would cause it to crash at this point, I haven't got a machine with less than 256Mb of ram so I can't test this yet unfortunately.

"runtime error 3503 - Music already exists at line 802"
This often happens the first time the game is ever run, I think I know why too, I'll fix it for next time. As for after that, it may be that if you skip the intro at a certain point, it skips deleteing the music. I shall have to test for this. This should certainly never happen if its NOT the first time you've run it and the intro plays through. Although I'm sure someone can prove me wrong lol

"The level is too Dark to see"
Yes its a very dark level. I would suggest turning you brightness on the monitor up. However, if the screenshots don't look too dark but the game does, perhaps there is a deeper problem. The lighting is provided using multitexturing through DBO so perhaps some of the graphics card being used don't support that? More likely though is that DirectX9b - the b part being very important - and the very latest drivers from Nvidia/ATI are being used. I had two graphics cards showing the same problems with dbo objects, and updating the detonator drivers fixed it instantly. As a side note, I would never recommend non NVidia or ATI cards for DBPro games, especially not standard on-board graphics, regardless of the rest of the spec of a PC. In future I releases I will give the option to turn on or off the lightmapping, and also include the all important alphas/brightness settings for the game, so people with dark monitors can turn it up via the software

"Slow Frame Rates"
Yes, sorry I already apologised for this. Although with Full effects on, in 800x600x32 FullScreen Exclusive and 10k distance I get a steady 60FPS on my PC, which is pretty smooth. The spec of that PC is a relatively modest 2.66Ghz P4, 512MbDDR, GForceFX5200 128Mb, running XPHome. My lowest spec PC is an AMD1800 (1.5Ghz), 256MbSD, GForce4MX, and it chugs quite a bit on higher settings, but runs smoothly at 640x480x16 Windowed 10k distance. Frame rates will considerably improve as I develop the game, but to run respectively on lowish setting on a 1.5Mhz machine is fine, considering I was expecting this game to be high spec. Heck, put it on the lowest settings and its very smooth indeed on my worst PC I kinda like the 320x240 mode, It reminds me of old DOS games

"Enemies stand still"/"hold space you fly"/"can't hurt the enemies"
Thank you for pointing these out, but these are all on purpose and explained on the website and breifly in my forum posts. I knew ppl would take these as bugs tho, hense why I said (quote)'PLEASE read the quick notes on the demo section of the website before going "why doesn't this work"' in the first post lol Oh well I knew some people would miss that, no harm done.

Joncom2000 : "Nice and dark, can't see a thing, the enemies all run on the spot and the framerate makes a spectrum look fast. Needs alot more work before I would call it "a quite decent FPS prototype" I think you have done well for a week but I would not say you won that bet as its not even playable yet."
I'm sorry but I think you may have mis-understood what I have written, or not read all of it the "a quite decent FPS prototype" is the one I made for my mate, finished last Wednesday, which since then whilst fiddling with I managed to break all collision between bullets and enemies. Whilst trying to fix them I froze the enemies to the spot on purpose, and added a flying control system make my testing more accurate. I uploaded the new version though as I had promised some forum users I would post on on Monday, which I wasn't happy about doing after breaking it, but did anyway as I hate breaking promises, hense why some features, like the ones you mentioned aren't there, but were in the prototype from last Wednesday, which was "a quite decent FPS prototype" not the one I posted here. The one I posted here is also missing loads of extra features, mostly special effects, weapons etc. which I removed because I didn't want an enormous download size for such an unfinished early demo. All of which I had already explained , but never mind, it doesn't hurt to do so again As for your frame rate and darkness problems, hopefully I have answered those with my above answers? If not, then please post your system specs, most specifically graphics card, processor speed and operating system. Thank you for your interest in the project and the kind words.

Lost in Thought : "How do you exit the game?" - Alt+F4 cold quits

Lynx : "Sorry for sounding stupid but.. What are the controls?"
You don't sound stupid at all, I am stupid for not posting them Its arrow keys to move & strafe, mouse to look and turn. Because this is my test/explore mode, there's no limit on how much you can look/turn, hense you can walk upside down should you wish Also you can fly by pressing space. In the proper game space jumps or swims, but basically for testing purposes you are constantly swimming, so that I can test more angles for collision The other problems you mentioned have been covered above, sorry for being confusing!

Exeat : "Could not find path at line 2972"
Hmm, I can't replicate this, but I have allocated which line it is and have a good idea why its happenning. It should only happen the first time you run it. if not, please could you make sure the files are unzipping to their correct paths, as set out in the zip file? The root directory can be anywhere and called anything, but the area must writeable, not read only/protected/hidden and have around 30Mbs of space to use for swapping. If this is all ok and you still can't get it working, I'm sorry I'll see what I can do for the next demo release

Overdroid : "I get the same error (music already exists)."
Do you always get the error, or can it be fixed with the methods above? "The intro screens are cool though. And I like the music." Thank you I like the Intro, simple but effective. And it really flows well into the cinematics of the start of the Story game. All will be revealled soon

DarkSin : "Very awsome... deffinitly bugs as stated but wow... very big potential!"
Thank you I hope that I can take enough time to quash all those bugs and make it fill its potential

walaber : "dammit, why didn't I check the forum last night before I went to bed!!"
lol sorry. Hope you can d/l it soon and hope it works for you

RPG_Freak : "you should incorporate a skip button" - there is one you can use ESC or SPACE. Sorry I should have stated this. And thanks for the suggestion of a mouse click to skip, thats a good idea, I'll add that "Nice intro by the way, and music. I see that there's going to be a full version of this." Thank you! The Music was kind of rushed, what with a weeks project and all, its simply made by pasting wavs together, royalty free ones I got through an Ejay package a while back. I'll go to town on the full sound-track and cinematics though, I like to tell a story i hope to release a full version in a month or so, but as all the dev houses say, "it'll be ready when its ready"

NightGiant : "just tried it again . . . . 32 bit color *sniffle*. damn, looked nice."
So you ran it and it worked then? I hope so, I wasn't sure from what you typed. Thank you for saying it looks nice, I'm trying to make it as pretty as possible without being too jerky on a high spec machine.

Raven: "hehee ... you know in the thread i thought you were mike until you posted on your old name ^_^ downloading now, will just have to see how it stands up" Lol I thought you'd have guessed it was me, perhaps I was a little TOO cryptic. But if I was Mike I doubt I would have told MikeS I know "little about lighting" or claimed that Lee knows more than me They're both clever guys

I hope you can get it running, I know you have a beast of a machine so hopefully it'll run smoothly. If it doesn't I'll be really confused as mine far inferior machine can cope well If I knew you were gonna download this I would have thought to leave the console in. I think you'll enjoy it, its a fake DOS to fiddle about with (I was thinking of adding a fake Workbench too lol)

Other points
Some people have sent me emails with points, so I'll raise them quickly.

* Yes the level model isn't very good. A few badly placed edges which overlap, some UV errors etc. My fault for rushing, I hope to spend time making proper levels for the full release, obviously
* I've had two people tell me that whilst underwater, they recieve ugly clipping between the special effects water layer and the wall layer. I can't replicate this but think I know why. Does anyone else have this problem?
* Someone got stuck in a box, rather than being able to fly over it. Can anyone else do this? Its probably where I broke the collision system a bit :S

Something I should have mentioned
Pressing the plus and minus keys will increase or decrease your energy levels, and if you shift them your ammo levels change.

Anyway gotta go now, the pub calls Thank you to everybody who has tried this, thanks for all the feedback, positive and negative, its all useful. I won't release another demo untill I have something not as buggy, with proper game play re-instated. However I will post back here with updates and screenshots before that for anyone interested in progress. I am back at work now, but doing less hours as I switched jobs. The other was getting too long hours and stressful.

Cheers Every1, Sam

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 00:27
Damn that was a long post. Smiley overload too. I apologize for that lol

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:14 Edited at: 12th May 2004 01:23
@ES

That "relatively modest" spec you posted isn't modest at all. A "modest" spec would be say 1.2Ghz P4 / 256MB RAM / GeForce 4MX video card.

Also the game is definately indeed of some optimisation. It looks nice but I have a Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card here and it chugs at about 5-10FPS. I have a 1.6Ghz P4 CPU btw.
I can run Unreal Tournament 2004 with all the settings turned right up at a good frame rate on this system.

You have put a lot of work into this and its unfortunate that there are some issues at the moment, once you get them worked out this will be very impressive - Hope I didn't deter you too much.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 02:53
Ran pretty slow here also. Got a 2.53 gig processor and 512 megs of ram plus a radeon 9700 pro, so I was kindof surprised at how slow everything was moving. It looked very nice, though, and it has a lot of potential if you can manage to optimise it some. Also, if you want some nice animated caustics for the underwater section, you should try out this tool: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~kand/caustics/

---
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 03:14
Darn, "Music already exists line 3503" error.

The intro and music was nice. Menu's were good also. (A nice atmosphere to start the game)

I can also see you've included many future options (mods, more game modes, settings,etc.) and this definitly has high potential.

Quote: "But if I was Mike I doubt I would have told MikeS I know "little about lighting" or claimed that Lee knows more than me They're both clever guys "

Hehe, whenever you get some free time I'd love to talk about lighting with you.

I'll check this post frequently to see updates and download a new demo.(If you release) Also, if it's any assurance I'm sure you'll get some good free marketing for your game if you submit some screenshots for the TGC newsletter.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 06:21
I was pretty impressed with the game/demo. all of the afformentioned bugs/intentional stuff aside, the game looked pretty nice. did run pretty slow on my system, but it was difficult to tell if the movement is just slow, or the framerate was the problem.

the level is just too dark in my opinion...

I'd like to see it with moving enemies, full controls, etc!

by the way, only error was the music error, which went away on the 2nd run.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 11:42
Oki, would you like; nice or brutal?
Hehee, j|k

i tested it on 2 System
AMD Duron 800MHz / Geforce FX 5200 64MB 340/550 / 512MB 133MHz / DirectX 9.0c / Windows XP Professional SP1

and

AMD Athlon64 FX-51 OC-2.8GHz / Geforce 6800 Extreme 512MB 730/1600 / 1GB 400MHz / DirectX 9.0c / Windows XP AMD64-Edition

On my Duron which is a fairly adverage low-end system, the game pushed a respectable, if not seemingly unplayable 16-22fps.
On my Athlon64 it was very nice and smooth running at nearly 200fps.

Now something interesting I noticed, which I was very surprised at was when I changed the graphics mode, i gained almost nothing in speed; infact I noticed that running FSAA 4x even on the FX5200 i saw basically no performance hit.

When I changed processor though, that was an entirely different story. So I have a feeling that this game actually depends far more on the processor your using as it has processor intensive tasks.

For the game itself, my monitor is set to 50% Brightness and 100% Contrast... even by setting the Digital Vibrance this game still appeared a lil too dark to me, which is worrying as often my 'a lil dark' = black to most other people. So you may wish to put in a gamma control.

Another problem i saw was whenever you shot the gun for a split second a DBP command appears on the screen progressively falling each time. Although a lil amusing you might wanna make sure you don't have any print commands

When I got underwater, you've obviously opted to do the caustics as an overlay mesh rather than as a blended texture.
I think you would gain a much better effect if the caustic was had a faint transparency and cube mapped onto that area of the level. It also mean you wouldn't have to double up the polygons.

the controls were although reponsive, unless you do hit close to that magic 60fps mark it really doesn't move like it should.
Have a feeling you've not setup a timer loop for controled movement.

Aside from a few minor bugs like that it was pretty decent.
Look forward to v0.2

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5200 44.04 | DirectX 9.0 | Audigy2 | Crystal Clean OS
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 21:38
The above posts were really useful in identifying problems, thanks everyone

Rob K
* "A "modest" spec would be say 1.2Ghz P4 / 256MB RAM / GeForce 4MX"
Yes I think you're right. By moddest I meant its hardly top of the range, and many users here have a higher spec PC than mine. Bearing in mind how quickly such technology evolves and how this game is aimed at a high range, but won't start to be commercially viable for a few months (even then It would be a budget release!) Perhaps the reason I think of my PC as "modest" is that If I try and run Halo or Far Cry, it is unplayably slow even on low resolutions. My game runs far better than these do (for iobvious reasons )

However the spec you mentioned is roughly the same as the lowest PC I have at home, which as I said, runs the game well at medium settings

"Also the game is definately indeed of some optimisation."
Yes thats agreed. I have said there is a lot of optimisation needed, I really rushed some of the coding, and it shows! I have plenty of ideas of how to improve this in later releases though

"It looks nice but I have a Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card here and it chugs at about 5-10FPS. I have a 1.6Ghz P4 CPU btw."
Wow that surprises me to have such a low frame rate on such a decent gfx card. But its very useful as this suggests to me that perhaps the CPU is under more strain from my game than the graphics card. Yet again I shall blame that on my lazy rushed programming

"You have put a lot of work into this and its unfortunate that there are some issues at the moment, once you get them worked out this will be very impressive - Hope I didn't deter you too much."
Thank you! And no not at all these are exactly the kind of posts that are useful. You are right that I have put in a lot of work, but its only a weeks worth, and I was very ware it needed a lot more to be done before it would be ready for mass use It was more a test to see what I coulod achieve in a week. But with the many positive comments I've got Im not spurred to work at making it a finished product, along side the other work I'm doing for people :

Esc
"Ran pretty slow here also. Got a 2.53 gig processor and 512 megs of ram plus a radeon 9700 pro, so I was kindof surprised at how slow everything was moving."
Ok thats very surprising, perhaps its an issue with radeon cards, as all my cards are low end Nvidias, and work fine. Don't want to start a ATI vs NVidia arguement though, I am sure I can optimise it a whole lot more anyways.

"It looked very nice, though, and it has a lot of potential if you can manage to optimise it some."
Thanks! Yes I hope too get it a lot tighter

"Also, if you want some nice animated caustics for the underwater section..."
If you put it on the highest detail settings, the caustics DO animate already But thatnks, yes thats a cool tool, I've seen it around here before.

MikeS
"The intro and music was nice. Menu's were good also. (A nice atmosphere to start the game) I can also see you've included many future options (mods, more game modes, settings,etc.) and this definitly has high potential."
Thank you. Yes I have tried to realise this as a good all round package of a game for its eventual release. I'm especially keen to have it moddable for people, this adds so much logevity to FPS style games. Incidentally many of the modes are already at least half coded, its coming on well. I want to put the effort into decent level design, AI and story mode

"whenever you get some free time I'd love to talk about lighting with you."
I'll drop you an email this evening

"I'll check this post frequently to see updates and download a new demo.(If you release)"
Thanks, do. I will be updating this, I definitely will finish it, not sure when. I have lots of good contacts for giving away OEM versions, magazine versions, budget game distributers, Digital download distributers etc. If I can eventually make a steady stream from it I'll be excited to make more projects on a lrage scale like this. I already have plans for a retro pack (3d nice looking versions of pacman, space-invaders, breakout & tetris) an Arcade style racing game, a futuristic racing game, an urban racing game, a War style FPS with vehicles, and a fantasy RPG and RTS. All of which I would like to work hard on to finish and release through similar routes. I want to get this project finished first though, one at a time, not what I usually do, which is do everything at once and finish nothing!

"Also, if it's any assurance I'm sure you'll get some good free marketing for your game if you submit some screenshots for the TGC newsletter."
Yes I'd like this. Perhaps it'd be better to wait until its properly playable. Another good quality commercial game could really boost the DBP community

Walaber
"I was pretty impressed with the game/demo. all of the afformentioned bugs/intentional stuff aside, the game looked pretty nice."
Thank you! Glad you liked it

"did run pretty slow on my system but it was difficult to tell if the movement is just slow, or the framerate was the problem."
A bit of both I wager! It definitely needs optimisation anyways, but the actual game controls run as standard, so its faster anyways

"the level is just too dark in my opinion..."
Yes, I'll add a gamma control, obviously from what people are saying my monitor & card must be quite bright, there isn't a single area of the level thats pitch black on my machine However, the levels in the game are split into three major groups, on space ships (very bright corridors) or planet surfaces (usualy very bright) or under the planets surfaces in underground caverns/tunnels (dark) guess which level type this one is?

"I'd like to see it with moving enemies, full controls, etc!"
I should post another demo with everything back in place in a week or so. I'm gonna work hard on optimising it properly to see if I can get better performance from people's PCs it'll be chalenging lol

Raven

"On my Duron which is a fairly adverage low-end system, the game pushed a respectable, if not seemingly unplayable 16-22fps.
On my Athlon64 it was very nice and smooth running at nearly 200fps."
Good! I'm glad. This was the kind of performance I was expecting from your two systems

"Now something interesting I noticed, which I was very surprised at was when I changed the graphics mode, i gained almost nothing in speed; infact I noticed that running FSAA 4x even on the FX5200 i saw basically no performance hit.When I changed processor though, that was an entirely different story. So I have a feeling that this game actually depends far more on the processor your using as it has processor intensive tasks."
I think you may be bang on there. My lax programming I'm afraid. Lots of code in there can be optimsed much further and I was very aware of that when I posted, hense the apology. My findings above back up your suspicions of Processor intensive stuff rather than graphically intensive. The only really strong hit I've noticed is on cards with less than 64mb ram, which is unheard of now for a serious gamer I wager.

"For the game itself, my monitor is set to 50% Brightness and 100% Contrast... even by setting the Digital Vibrance this game still appeared a lil too dark to me, which is worrying as often my 'a lil dark' = black to most other people. So you may wish to put in a gamma control."
Lol yes I've already said I would do this. Seemingly my set-up is a load brighter than everyone else's

"Another problem i saw was whenever you shot the gun for a split second a DBP command appears on the screen progressively falling each time. Although a lil amusing you might wanna make sure you don't have any print commands"
Aha I hadn't noticed that. Yes I'll clear that. 2d commands such as text seem to kill frame rates in DBP for me.

"When I got underwater, you've obviously opted to do the caustics as an overlay mesh rather than as a blended texture."
Yes I have. That is because the lighting detail is already a blended texure on the object.
"I think you would gain a much better effect if the caustic was had a faint transparency and cube mapped onto that area of the level. It also mean you wouldn't have to double up the polygons."
Yes, a cube map would be a good solution, although in my current level setup, that wouldn't be exactly possible. I am re-writing how the level will be stored and loaded though, so perhaps that will be a good thing to add when I change that. As a side question do you get any cliping between layers? I don't get any on any of my low end Nvidias, but a friend of mine with a FX5900 does

"the controls were although reponsive, unless you do hit close to that magic 60fps mark it really doesn't move like it should.
Have a feeling you've not setup a timer loop for controled movement."
No I'm not yet. This is because when I'm developing it I let it run as fast as it wants to, swo that I can notice any major lapses as I add stuff. For this release I just capped the framerate at 60 and hoped lol Lazy I know but I wouldn't dream of actually relasing a game like that, its just a time thing, as I said I would release on Monday so I felt I should You are right though, any lerss than 60 nd the controls go all out

"Aside from a few minor bugs like that it was pretty decent. Look forward to v0.2"
Thank you! I hope I can make the next version a lot faster and more fully featured. Its the engine optimsation thats important though, everything else will fall into place quite easily then. Just a case of making decent levels etc after that.

Thanks everyone, very positve posts, all useful

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 21:51
btw, not sure if i mentioned or not; but i gained my FPS by using FRAPS which records all the frames that are rendered not just those sent to the card each loop.

I would recommend people use FRAPS to register frame rate over DBPs built-in FPS checker as it is horribly inaccurate.

oki that aside, yes my FX 5200 and 6800 bother showed some horrible clipping with the water; i didn't test with my old 2 MX 200 though, i could if you want me too.

I've not used it in a while because of my own project which is being shown soon; as the min requirements are alot higher than most people have right now.

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 22:24
Yes I use FRAPS too, its a lot more accurate, and saves on print/text wastage And the video capture is cool too, I was thinking about capturing some demos with it and mix them / add effects etc for rolling demos in CD/DVD versions of games.

"oki that aside, yes my FX 5200 and 6800 bother showed some horrible clipping with the water;" Oh well I guess its a common problem. I can fix it when I re-write the level format. As you can see from my screen shots and the old one on the otehr forum, I can't replicate this myself. The mesh is exactly the same size and place, whilst ghosted and faded, so it shouldn't clip strictly. it must be slightly missplacing/mis-sizing it?

"i didn't test with my old 2 MX 200 though, i could if you want me too." - Thank you, no its ok. If its going to be a common problem its something I'll have to fix anyway

Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
what i meant, to be more precise, is that i think it would've worked except that i got the "this hardware does not support 32 bit color" error, like so many other times i've tried dbp games. i have a crappy video card so i guess that might be the problem, in any event i can't run 32 bit color programs, so i'm SOL for a lot of stuff.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 10:24
to be honest, if your card doesn't support 32bit color, it's probably lacking enough power to run DBPro apps at any kind of acceptable speed...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 11:55
When I shoot, it doesn't effect the enemies, only the walls. Enemys don't attack, walk or move.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 16:49
Deleted, unzipped again (all the paths are fine), started the game, waited through the whole intro, started an arcade game and a little way into the loading I got that music error again.

Restarted the game and it all loaded fine. Sluggish frame rate on my Radeon (looks like you do have a problem there, I'll try on my Geforce tomorrow), and I also get the crazy underwater clipping problems that someone else mentioned. Looks fairly good though.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 20:49
when i play the other 3 dudes just "run in place" ...

also i got pretty slow performance...but that's probably my system ...1.5GHZ pentium4 - geforce4 mx420 - 512 MBs DDR RAM...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 23:20
NightGiant "i have a crappy video card so i guess that might be the problem, in any event i can't run 32 bit color programs"
Thats a shame A FX5200 can be picked up for under £30 now, and thats what I use & it works fine Maybe a worthwhile investment!

"When I shoot, it doesn't effect the enemies, only the walls. Enemys don't attack, walk or move."
"when i play the other 3 dudes just 'run in place'"
lol please see above posts for a detailed run down of this

Exeat "Restarted the game and it all loaded fine."
Good I'm glad you got it working at last Sorry about the problems, I'll be able to fix them quite quickly for the next version, I've worked out exactly whats happenning

"Sluggish frame rate on my Radeon (looks like you do have a problem there, I'll try on my Geforce tomorrow)"
Perhaps a Radeon problem, yes. But there's definitely a lot of issues with overworking the processor, I'll sotr this for the next version hopefully.

"I also get the crazy underwater clipping problems that someone else mentioned."
Thanks, it seems common unfortunately. However today I've been planning on re-writing the way my levels are loaded to make theme more efficient. I can fix this when I do that too

"Looks fairly good though."
Thanks I have come up with a few ides for more visual flaire next time, hopefully with faster frame-rates still! *mutters* [Gotta keep coding, Gotta keep coding, Gotta keep coding]

Magellan Studios "also i got pretty slow performance...but that's probably my system ...1.5GHZ pentium4 - geforce4 mx420 - 512 MBs DDR RAM..."
Hopefully the next version I release will be more suited to your spec, thats not too low to be out of the question with some optimising

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 17:32 Edited at: 14th May 2004 19:19
Just a quick n cheerful post to tell y'all how I've progressed

* Black Box Issue Fixed
* Music Error Fixed
* Water Clipping Bug Fixed
* Frame Rate almost doubled!
[edit] Just seriously beefed up 2 of the weapons too

Collisions still broken, new level system in place, although only basic box levels are available at the moment.

All this will be in a new demo which I'll release soon. Obviously all bugs are still in place in the current downloadble demo

GameMaker Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 01:02
Why do some people have really higgh frame rate while other have really low. I had problems with speed on different PC's but i found set the frame rate to a reasonable fixed rate so that it run at a simalar speed if the pc can reach that frame rate.
just a suggestion.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 14:30 Edited at: 15th May 2004 14:33
Loaded ok, but all i see is a guy walking, but not going anywhere. I can't see the map at all. And I don't see where the frame rate is posted. My monitor is set at 98% brightness/contrast. I did 800x600x32 resolution for the game. How about a control for the lightning? And it seemed to run slow in my opinion. And my pc specs can be seen below, minus the second cpu. Oh, and a better method for quitting would be appreciated. Like something as simple as "esc" would be nice.

Ran the game a second time, and I got an object does not exist.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 14:41
Hey Raven, I didn't know the 6800 was out yet. And whats DX 9.0c? 'b' is the current one isn't it?

"eureka" - Archimedes
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 16:29
GameMaker Jason "set the frame rate to a reasonable fixed rate so that it run at a simalar speed if the pc can reach that frame rate."
Thank But actually this is whats already happenning Its locked at 60fps. Unfortunately in the form of that demo, most ppls pcs struggle to reach that. Thankfully in the new version I am working on, I've managed to improve the framerate considerably. Even still, with the full version I won't cap the frame rate, I'll let it go as fast as it wants and move everything accordingly using a timer routine to keep it the same speed. This way, fast PCS will run smoother, and slow pcs will skip frames to keep up

Phaelax
"Loaded ok, but all i see is a guy walking, but not going anywhere."
See above, several times j/k
"I can't see the map at all."
Yup my bad. Sorry I made it too dark for many people's setup, I didn't realise, works fine on mine, but I appear to be in the minority.
"How about a control for the lightning?"
Already added for the next version. Good suggestion, thanks!
"And it seemed to run slow in my opinion."
Sorry bout that. Again, frame rates seriously improved now. Updating a new demo soon.
"Oh, and a better method for quitting would be appreciated. Like something as simple as "esc" would be nice."
Lmao You are so right Obviously I meant to include this. I forgot to enable the ingame menu in the demo version Next demo will have a full set of options upon pressing escape, including resume, exit to win, Save, Graphics Options etc

Thanks for the input guys

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 16:37
Important Notice

Thanks guys, this forum post has been really useful to me, for establishing bugs and issues. However I am now officially retiring this post, for the simple reason that all the bugs and issues with this demo have now been fixed, and I'll release a new version for testing soon. Anyone is welcome to download the current demo from the site out of curiosity, but posting problems with it won't be useful as of tomorrow, cos I'll have fixed all the major issues

I supose this should never really have been posted in Program Announcements, as its more of a Work in Progress. I shall start a new thread in Work in Progress forums, where I shall post when I make improvements and updates so everyone can see the progress being made. I will from time to time release new demos for bug and speed testing there too, I won't start a new thread in Program Announcements until this games is Finished and ready for download

Thanks for all the help, it has been invlauable. Each and every1 of you will get a mention in the Thanks to section of the credits

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2004 02:37 Edited at: 17th May 2004 03:17
New Thread Here:
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=31714&b=8

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 00:00
Um...where the hell do I download the game?

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 00:04 Edited at: 11th Jul 2004 00:04
Hi Everwhat, do you want me to lock this thread so that people use the other one instead?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 01:02
There's another one? Sorry for being so rude but I couldn't find the download link...

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2004 13:31
Where the hell is the download link!?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 17:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 17:36:16