Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Should I buy Cartography shop?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Any satisfied customers out there who baught it and use it to make bsp levels for dbpro without too many problems? I'm getting mixed reviews. It looks cool, but making a level and loading in to dbp and using it seems like it would be difficult and problematic.
It's like you gotta use a program to make it then another one to compile it and another one to do something else to it then have it blessed by the pope or something before it will work. Help!
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I dont have experience with other editors, but I think that my experience with cartography shop says its not worth the money for what it provides.

The documentation sucks and all it can handle is basic shapes. The interface is simple enough, until you try to do selection of objects in a level containing anything above twenty basic elements.

I tried putting textures into the textures folder and the program crashes if you have too many textures there. I have not found a way to rotate objects in anything other than 45 degree angles.

I think that you should ask the veterans here what they use. Judging from the discussions on the forum, nobody seams to be bothering with cartography shop. You can have my licence if you want, I'd gladly sell it to you as I have not actualy produced any work using it. I dont know if the author allows this though.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks cool, and the demo level looks good. I just don't hear a lot of good things from users out there about it. Anybody else?

Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 03:12
Cartography Shop works but has a few irritating aspects that MAY be updated god knows when. It is also limited in its ability to import any objects and can only handle solid shapes eg: wedge cone etc. Its quite ok to build simple buildings etc for bsp's but has no vertex modifying available. If you want to do serious bsp editing i would look at somthing like Quark or Worldcraft they have avery function imaginable (and better support i might add).
A shame really because cshop has heaps of potential.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 08:37:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 08:37:06