Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Terrain Commands - Additional Parameters ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 23:43
Hi all, looking at the help for the terrain stuff it says "Additional parameters control the size and detail of the terrain." but it doesn't tell you what they are. You only get MAKE TERRAIN Terrain Number, Heightmap Filename.. anyone know how to control the detail/size ?

Cheers
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 23:59
There actually seem to be three variations on the make terrain command hidden away in the DLL, but only one has been 'exposed' to DBPro.

I guess that this will need to be answered by Lee or Mike.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 00:57
Actually, you can't. Patch 4 will be a massive improvement to the terrain system I believe.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 01:11
NO NO NO NO NO. If anyone else mentions Patch 4 I'll go mad ... :/
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 01:23
Well... I guess I don't care, my answer is still patch 4. The help file is a liar.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 01:26
Hmm. Nothing seems to have happened. Guess I must be mad already.
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
LamptonWorm, I see you mentioned make terrain from heightmap up there, I honestly havn't looked too much into the terrain commands, but this might answer a prayer.. I have been working on a collision system for a rolling landscape .3ds model, with no luck on smooth collision ( I have got ugly stepping collision, but not smooth), so I am wondering if you or anyone else knowing would be able to tell me a couple of things please?

1, can I make a height map from the landscape object, if so how and in what program would I do this?

2, if I was able to do this and created a terrain from a height map of the original object, how would I texture it the same as the model, would I have to have a top down image in color to then add to the terrain? if not, how would I texture the terrain with multiple textures to get a similar look (and also in good quality with the textures in good preportions)?

3, what are the collision commands like on a terrain made like this? if any, would they be smooth when moving over bumpy or undulating terrain types?

sorry if this sounds stupid ro vague, but I am trying everything and anything to deal with this problem, this idea may well be the answer or at least 1 answer to the problem.

many thanks to anyone helping

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 09:42
OK Matto
Yes you can using various programs. I create an greyscale heightmap/bitmap and make the landscape from that heightmap in either 3dmax or Rhino 3d then texture it with a bitmap overlay created in paint shop pro, then export to x file.
Collision with X landscape objects can be done but you would need a to put the heightmap into an array. Look at UWdesigns code snippets to see the collision functions at:
www.uwdesign.50megs.com

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 15:21
Hi all,

Patch4, drool Hopefully it'll be a merry xmas.

Matto, probably good to try out DBP's terrain commands to see how that compares to what you're doing currently. Good think about terrains is there is the get terrein height command, this will allow you to roll over the terrain smoothly.

Going back to my question about the parameters, if you can't currently specify the size of your terrain what does it use ? Does it depend on the hm image size ?

Cheers
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
All hail Patch 4. It will come one day and bring hapiness to the land. There will be great feasts and dancing and song. Lets all chant together. Patch 4. Patch 4 Patch 4!

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks thats just what I needed to hear

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 22:13:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 22:13:56