Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Whatt is the maximum poly count in DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2002 03:26
wot is the maximum poly count in DBPro?
Runelore
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I have had a scene running 340,000 poly's with no lights and 8 texture maps and it was running at 21 FPS.
my system is a dual P2 500 with 512 megs ram and GeForce 3 card.. does that help.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2002 05:49
there is no "max poly count" that im aware of. it all depends on your code and your machine.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 23:45
whatever your graphics card says it is.

Mentor.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 01:29
Well i've said this over about 5 db forums, and probably good to reiterate it all the time ...
Polycounts of games aren't the most important aspect!
They're also NOT the biggest speed killer!
In general your game / program should balance out to what is comfortable on the system you choose as the min specs your aiming for.
300Mhz | 64Mb Ram | TnT2 16Mb isn't going to be able to process or handle the same amount of polygons that a 1,000Mhz | 512Mb Ram | GeForce4 64Mb could!
So trying to note set polygon counts arn't really worth it, especially considering I know that if you can get say 20,000 on my screen at one and make it look gorgeous, yet plays like a pig and the people arn't so stupid that even my 5year old cosion can outsmart them - then ya know i'm not gonna be wanting to play again

Now when DBpro was in development there was ALOT of hoopla about "oh it can handle 10x the polygons" blah blah blah...
to be honest, I'd rather keep with the sensible polygon count and make my characters smarter, or setup better collision and particle effects. All the things that in DB would slow it to a crawl you can now do!

If I were you depending on the game your making aim for about 6,000 polygons onscreen at once ... this is EVERYTHING onscreen. Perhaps once you get the rest of the game all coded etc, THEN up the polygon counts until it starts slowing down uncomfortably.

Emphasis should never be directly on the graphics of a title, they can be tweaked and updated once you have a working title.

My system with DB can handle almost 150,000 polygons untextured without slowdown at 60fps
Just becuase it can handle that doesn't mean thats your aim! Textured Polygons render at almost 1/4 the speed, transpareny half of that... add Ai, Networking and Physics, before you know it you can only have about 1,000 onscreen at the same speed!

Read the post at the top on newbie starting places, the polygon counts are dictacted by the engine not the other way

Valve ERC, Polycount and Barking Dog all have documents on the perils of polycounts in game with more depth if you need more information.

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 16:27
my computer can handle 5.6 million polygons a second in DB 1.08 with 512x512x24 textures at standard res. But it doesn't matter if the extra million polygons are in a section you can't even see. You should aim for a comfortable polygon count that doesn't look blocky, but doesn't use 10,000 polygons for a box. Plus back-face culling means those polygons counts are only half of what you think. the statistic command doesn't tell how many of the polygons are being rendered, only how many are within the viewport.

I know everything! At least I don't know anything I don't know.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 04:32
Does DBP support backface culling? or is that just something your 3d card does?

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:15:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:15:11